Author Topic: Aces High Modeler  (Read 6510 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Aces High Modeler
« on: July 22, 2020, 01:26:02 AM »
I know HTC revealed the software that they use to make this game some years ago, but despite having been involved in the thread and considering the format specifically I cannot recall the name of the software itself.

Does anyone remember what it was, or have a link to where it was discussed?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Aces High Modeler
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 01:49:48 AM »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 08:12:16 AM »
Are you going to be 3D modelling aircraft form the wish list? Put me down for a 109E7  :angel:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 09:00:22 AM »
Not if there is zero chance of anything going into the game.

At one time I wanted to build something like an old game I used to play, but I have zero programming experience. I looked at the modeler used to make AH and it looks oddball compared to 3DS Max, plus it costs a fortune. It's not worth it to me, when I can use 3DS Max for less than $300/year. Doesn't matter though, because it would take me years to make a simple game nothing like AH.

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 10:08:01 PM »
it appears 3ds max will actually handle openflite models (the engine from the link you provided) natively. just go to export, or export selected.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU/3DSMax-Data-Exchange/files/GUID-F3C9B5A8-41A9-466A-8D87-180C1389E7F5-htm.html

I also would be willing to make some models if we could get support for getting them in the game.
and could use 3ds max to do it.

I'm sure there would be hurdles to jump, and we would need some technical expertise from hitech to get them in the game. but it should be do able.
in theory we could supply rigged textured models built out in the same way as previous models. Hitech would then open them in his 3d cad program and export them in whatever specific format he is using in game.
that of course isnt the only way to do it, but i dont know anything about the aces high model format. though i could look into it.

i'd be willing to give it a go anyway.
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 11:29:48 PM »
In previous posts Hitech stated that they have never accepted outside work because it's more work for them to correct mistakes than it is to build the models.

If that ever changes I would love to know about it, but something tells me that more people have based 3DS Max skills, but not many have skills at the AAA level.

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 12:09:42 AM »
i can see that point of view.

I bet we have  a few guys who could pull off nice models, and properly configure them though.  :grin:

I get it probably would never happen, but i'd love to see it tried.

so I also would like to hear if this policy ever changes. And would like to offer my skills in attempting a new model.

I'm 100% confident that we can upgrade the current models, or add new models that exceed the current standard.

the easiest test would be to attempt to use a current model and remodel it, or model a new variation of it.

i get it will never happen, i just hate the idea there might be no new content ever again.

<<<<does 3d models and cad for a living<<<offers free labor!

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 12:24:39 AM »
Have at it. The only way I will give free *anything* is if I have an account that is also *free.*

I didn't realize how much work I would be spending on 'just' sounds.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 07:11:07 AM »
Have at it. The only way I will give free *anything* is if I have an account that is also *free.*

I didn't realize how much work I would be spending on 'just' sounds.

There..... we do not have volunteers at our business either. We have to earn our own money.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 11:00:54 AM »
The industry standard pay rate for animators is $675/hr. and no I didn't make a decimal error. Why would an animator EVER work as an intern?

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 11:04:34 AM »
meh, i make a good living at my day job and it leaves me with plenty of time for my own projects.

Just because i would be doing it for no pay, doesn't mean i would get no value from the work.
I don't need everything to make me money, for me there is also value in doing things i like.

I like to make 3d models, i find it relaxing, i tend to spend a couple hours a night building some random model anyway just for fun. It helps me unwind to make models that don't have to be accurate to .00001".

I'd like to fly my own models in aces high.I'd like to bring aces high into the 21st century.
If a couple new models helped make the game bring in any extra people that would be a win also.

call it a hobby.

(and 675 an hour seems like an exaggeration...The average hourly wage for a 3D Animator in the United States is $30 as of June 28, 2020, but the range typically falls between $25 and $36. but that honestly is neither here nor there.  )
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 11:26:50 AM by toasted »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 11:41:55 AM »
meh, i make a good living at my day job and it leaves me with plenty of time for my own projects.

Just because i would be doing it for no pay, doesn't mean i would get no value from the work.
I don't need everything to make me money, for me there is also value in doing things i like.

I like to make 3d models, i find it relaxing, i tend to spend a couple hours a night building some random model anyway just for fun. It helps me unwind to make models that don't have to be accurate to .00001".

I'd like to fly my own models in aces high.I'd like to bring aces high into the 21st century.
If a couple new models helped make the game bring in any extra people that would be a win also.

call it a hobby.

(and 675 an hour seems like an exaggeration...The average hourly wage for a 3D Animator in the United States is $30 as of June 28, 2020, but the range typically falls between $25 and $36. but that honestly is neither here nor there.  )

Ya the 675 is what the shop charges customers, much like an auto repair shop charges you $120 an hour in labor an ya know that tech isnt getting that much.

I do wish HTC allowed more help from outside. Like you said to some doing these things is a hobby and something they enjoy. "Bustr" made what 3, 4 maps. I dont think he got "paid" to do all that "work". To him I think it was the challenge of building a map using layout and distances to focus a fight. If it wasnt fun why would he bother.

HTC is a small company and I think it would benefit from some outside help from the community as long as he could keep the standard he has.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 11:46:28 AM »
Ya the 675 is what the shop charges customers, much like an auto repair shop charges you $120 an hour in labor an ya know that tech isnt getting that much.

I do wish HTC allowed more help from outside. Like you said to some doing these things is a hobby and something they enjoy. "Bustr" made what 3, 4 maps. I dont think he got "paid" to do all that "work". To him I think it was the challenge of building a map using layout and distances to focus a fight. If it wasnt fun why would he bother.

HTC is a small company and I think it would benefit from some outside help from the community as long as he could keep the standard he has.

That is where a good bit comes from.... the community. It benefits the game and the community.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 12:29:34 PM »
Who is John Galt?

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 01:32:06 PM »