Author Topic: Scramble That Sprained Ankle  (Read 385 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Scramble That Sprained Ankle
« on: July 24, 2020, 02:36:18 PM »
In the Air Defense Command, each Fighter Interceptor Squadron (FIS) had a designated alert detachment.  For my squadron, the 5th FIS, at Minot AFB, ND, the alert detachment was at Davis Monthan AFB, AZ.  When deployed to DM, we were there for a week and sat alert for 24 hours on, 24 hours off. On Friday mornings at 0900 our command and control air division would initiate a practice air defense scramble.  This would coincide with two of our squadron jets from Minot rotating down to replace the alert pilots and jets.  With everything working as advertised, the two scrambled F-106 Delta Darts would intercept the jets inbound from Minot for practice intercepts in Military Operations Airspace (MOA) east of Tucson.  When the area work was complete, all of the jets would return to DM, refuel, and reset with two new pilots and jets on 5 minute alert status.  On average, our squadron pilots would go to DM every 4 to 6 weeks.  Sitting alert was pretty boring for the most part.  We ate three meals a day and watched a lot of movies, all in our alert facility.  Our tasking requirement, if scrambled on an active defense alert, required us to be airborne within five minutes of the alert klaxon sounding.  Quite the adrenaline rush when it happened.

So, it’s Friday morning.  I’ve just finished a nice meat omelet with, potatoes, and salsa.  It’s  nearly 0900 and there’s the first hint of a morning download.  Not wanting to get scrambled from the upstairs restroom in the pilot quarters, I convince myself that I can take care of this after we fly.  When the klaxon sounds, the cardinal rule in the facility is that ONLY the 2 pilots and 2 crew chiefs move.  Everyone else is to stay out of the way, stay out of door ways, stay off the stairway, and generally be invisible, allowing the four primary players unrestricted access to the two alert jets.

It’s nine o’clock straight up.  No klaxon.  It’s normally like clockwork.  Not today.  Five minutes after, still nothing.  A few minutes later, the “urge” is becoming more of a presence.  At 0930, still with no klaxon and an impending uncontrollable physiologic event is getting ready to happen, I quickly hump it upstairs to the restroom.  I assume the position in a stall and control the nearly uncontrollable.  Yep!  You guessed it.  The klaxon sounds as I’m sitting there, flight suit unzipped, on the floor around my ankles.  There’s the sound of a stampede upstairs and down as the crew chiefs and my alert partner bolt for the doors and everyone else is clearing out of the way.  I quickly stand up, zip up, slam the stall door open, and run for the stair well.  Turning the corner to the stair well, I start down, taking them two steps at a time, building momentum as a I go, only to encounter two of the support troops going down the stairs.  Blowing through would have injured them both.  So, I put the brakes on, twisting my right ankle nearly 90 degrees.  The resulting hot pinch is short lived because the adrenaline rush is beyond maxed out.  Getting past them, I push it up, and hustle to my jet.  My partner’s jet engine is starting to spin up.  I turn the corner around my jet’s long pitot boom, scramble up the boarding ladder, hop onto the seat, buckle up my seatbelt and shoulder harness, and don my helmet and gloves as the crew chief pulls the boarding ladder clear and responds to my start signal by introducing high pressure air to the J75 engine.  As the engine RPM rapidly spins up, I complete checklist items in preparation of the impending scramble.  Ready to give him the “pull chocks” signal, I press forward on the top of the rudder pedals to hold the brakes.  It happens!  My right ankle revolts and my foot starts to spasm back and forth.  It’s impossible to hold any pressure on the right brake.  I’m not going anywhere.  Keying the mic, I explain to the detachment controller and the other pilot what’s going on.  The controller says to keep the jet running.  The detachment commander is coming down to fly it.  I unbuckle and standup.  My ankle is now in full blown revolt and hurting something fierce. The boss is standing at the bottom of the boarding ladder as I gimp my way to the ground.  We do the handoff and I hobble clear of the hangar pod as he taxies out, following my alert partner who is already half way down the alert chute to the runway.

My next alert tour event is straight to the base hospital emergency room.  An X-ray reveals a severely twisted ankle.  The Doc said my ankle couldn’t have twisted any farther without breaking.  He hands me a pair of crutches and says to use them for the next six weeks.  The ankle healed up and it was back to flying.  But, in the years to follow, it frequently rolls under me when inadvertently stepping on an irregular surface.

An adrenaline rush like no other.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 02:40:26 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
Re: Scramble That Sprained Ankle
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 02:44:10 PM »
Another great addition!!!

Sprained my ankle sliding into third base in high school. Cleat caught and same issue. Like you, still roll it 25+ years later and it still gets you going. Not as exciting as doing while scrambling a Delta Dart. You win the better war story here. LOL
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 03:50:17 PM »
Excellent addition. Thank you.  :)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 04:26:48 PM »
Twisted mine jumping out of a jacked up truck. Again... you win Puma.  :aok

Another great excerpt from the book.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 08:31:25 PM »
Coincidentally I sprained my ankle pretty badly going down some stairs last night.  I don't have 2 stair clowns to blame it on though.

We had a WSO redeploying home through Lajes (where if something strange is going to happen, it'll happen there) who broke his foot on the way back to billeting from the o-club late a night.  He missed that staircase that goes down the hill but being a WSO he knew how to NAV his way around without any stinking walkway, so down the hill he tumbled.  At billeting he stumbled down the hall entering every unlocked room in sequence until he found one that was either his or was otherwise unoccupied, and slept almost until report time for the morning flight.  The next day he noticed his foot hurt but he was able to stuff it into his boot and not wanting to have to ride the tanker home, didn't say anything.

Needless to say, a 13 hr pond crossing in a poopy suit isn't a fun time to realize your foot is broken.

About halfway across the water he fessed up that he was in excruciating pain.  He cut his boot off but still being over water, couldn't do anything about the poopy suit.  As soon as they hit the coast, he cut the bootie off the poopy suit too, foot now swollen around double it's normal size.  He spent the next month and a half in a cast.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 08:37:43 PM by eagl »
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 10:29:45 PM »
That is a hard core WSO, Eagl.  I hope your sprain doesn’t have long lasting memories.  :salute
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 10:42:07 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all