Author Topic: First flight in DCS  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: First flight in DCS
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 05:30:24 PM »
Visibility is the issue with DCS

The main complaint is you can,t see bogies

Wasn't a big deal with jets and radar bur ww2 planes I can fly around for an hour and never seen another plane

The map stinks

VR blows in it

Great for "realism" maybe and very pretty but boring as hell to play IMO

<S>

Eagler

not quite,  the spotting or viewing issue you describe is two things.  Your field of view that has to be checked and set for EACH module.  Some are defaulted to 140 which gives a fish eye effect, anything between 110-120 is required.   

The server host can customise the opacity of dots or "icons" as we would call them here.  Everything from the distance, colour and size can be modified (the raw defaults of the game are garbage).   The LFDM WW2 server has worked on this recently and Maxime has got it just about perfect for spotting.   If anything he has made it a bit too easy from what it was as I find myself struggling to establish whether a contact is close or further away. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 12:19:52 PM »
Hi Bruv

I will adjust the FOV and see if it helps my blind arse

What is the LFDM ww2 server?

I follow Phil and have been on the Storm of War server as I was hoping the F10 radar there would help but doesn't

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 01:32:02 AM »

Did you crash on take off or get vulched?   Big Phil allows vulching, LFDM it is against their code of conduct and will result in timeouts/IP bans.

You can get the 109 cold startup down to about 15 seconds if you need to re-up.    :aok

That was an 100% vulch by that P51, my own fault, the alarm bells were ringing when he bombed the airfield in the first place.
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 01:37:06 AM »
Hi Bruv

I will adjust the FOV and see if it helps my blind arse

What is the LFDM ww2 server?

I follow Phil and have been on the Storm of War server as I was hoping the F10 radar there would help but doesn't

<S>

Eagler

Communication seems to be key in order to find fights, did you install SRS that most servers are using?

Once you got SRS installed it should connect automatically to the correct SRS server depending on the server you join in DCS.
When i was on the last time there seemed to be an ATC directing people.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/8txp8f/how_to_use_and_install_simple_radio_for_dcs_world/
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:45:03 AM by Maniac »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 01:41:02 AM »
Awesome!  But I was hoping for a bit more realism along the lines of:

-- Selecting which preparation of eggs to consume for breakfast prior to first flight of day.
-- Manipulating straps, buckles, and laces of flying gear.
-- Washing and waxing of aircraft.
-- Tire inflation.
-- Mustache trimming.

All of these are vital aspects to being a "sierra hotel" ACM experten -- as much or even moreso than flying a pattern around the airfield, mincing about while listening to ATC chatter on the radio, and maybe taking a virtual selfie or two.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 03:48:42 PM »
Communication seems to be key in order to find fights, did you install SRS that most servers are using?

Once you got SRS installed it should connect automatically to the correct SRS server depending on the server you join in DCS.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/8txp8f/how_to_use_and_install_simple_radio_for_dcs_world/

Don't nobody use SRS

Discord
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2020, 02:59:17 AM »
Don't nobody use SRS

Discord

I joined the SOW Discord yesterday, that helped of getting an more community feel to the Server. And as an community and voice communication platform i do find Discord to be an superb tool really.

But as far as SRS goes, i do see alot of people using it, yesterday when i did my sortie in SoW there was 14ppl online in the server, and 10 in total was in SRS, think we were like 5 Axis players and i saw 3 of them in the same SRS channel as me. So saying nobody is using it is not really true i think.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2020, 03:33:57 PM »

:cheers:

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 07:05:04 PM »
I joined the SOW Discord yesterday, that helped of getting an more community feel to the Server. And as an community and voice communication platform i do find Discord to be an superb tool really.

But as far as SRS goes, i do see alot of people using it, yesterday when i did my sortie in SoW there was 14ppl online in the server, and 10 in total was in SRS, think we were like 5 Axis players and i saw 3 of them in the same SRS channel as me. So saying nobody is using it is not really true i think.

Come check out AGR server in discord and DCS. Lots of people who will go out of their way to get you set up. Some are armchair pilots and most are real life pilots. Two are current Harrier pilots that host missions weekly. 150 active squad members.

I bought the Huey and three of them took the time to help me set it up. One guy named Sidekick gave me a thrustmaster T16000 for the cost of shipping.

for DCS type in 16AGR in the search bar

for Discord  https://discord.gg/qM5unm

Website

http://www.16agr.com/

ALL are welcome to stop by

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2020, 02:11:31 PM »
Come check out AGR server in discord and DCS. Lots of people who will go out of their way to get you set up. Some are armchair pilots and most are real life pilots. Two are current Harrier pilots that host missions weekly. 150 active squad members.

I bought the Huey and three of them took the time to help me set it up. One guy named Sidekick gave me a thrustmaster T16000 for the cost of shipping.

for DCS type in 16AGR in the search bar

for Discord  https://discord.gg/qM5unm

Website

http://www.16agr.com/

ALL are welcome to stop by

Thanks, i sent them an application to  join up.

Im not having any problems finding fights now on the SoW server by using the radio radar, but geez yes it is very hard to see and keep track of the enemy airplanes once you made contact. It might get easier once my TrackIR arrives. I feel i loose track completly if i dont keep eyes on the target at all times.

I will keep at it anwhile longer tough, the guys in the SoW discord says it gets easier with some time.

But i might put WWII on hold in DCS untill there is an Server that relaxes the hardcore icon settings if things dont improve. But i hope for an popular DCS WWII server with more relaxed icon settings for sure.

Im thinking of going modern airplanes aswell, perhaps the FA-18. Atleast then i get an modern day HUD with computers tracking the cons xD.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 03:54:25 PM by Maniac »

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2020, 04:17:50 PM »
Thanks, i sent them an application to  join up.

Im not having any problems finding fights now on the SoW server by using the radio radar, but geez yes it is very hard to see and keep track of the enemy airplanes once you made contact. It might get easier once my TrackIR arrives. I feel i loose track completly if i dont keep eyes on the target at all times.

I will keep at it anwhile longer tough, the guys in the SoW discord says it gets easier with some time.

But i might put WWII on hold in DCS untill there is an Server that relaxes the hardcore icon settings if things dont improve. But i hope for an popular DCS WWII server with more relaxed icon settings for sure.

Im thinking of going modern airplanes aswell, perhaps the FA-18. Atleast then i get an modern day HUD with computers tracking the cons xD.

16AGR servers can be customized to fit everyone's needs. 16AGR Roth has two DCS servers running at his house as well as a TeamSpeak server. We got you. Check out the Huey. You can equip rocket pods mini guns and door gunners with mini guns. They usually run a Vietnam pilot recovery mission.

The current server is set up for CV ops on the new Syria map.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 04:22:08 PM by RichardDarkwood »

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 04:41:13 PM »
What DCS has the Aces High doesn't is more historically accurate setups with two sides and the associated aircraft. I have been playing DCS World offline for years. It is my preferred sim that I fly almost every night. I never had luck finding a DCS multiplayer server I like. But right now, I have several to choose from: 2 different Korean War setups, one with AI and one with only players. Vietnam War, showcasing the free A-4E-C Skyhawk mod operating off of carriers with AI. Cold War with all the fighters in the game that came before the US "teen" series and their all-aspect wonder missiles like the AIM-9L and AIM-120.

Spotting is definitely the biggest problem, but a recent patch makes contacts visible at realistic distances. Of course with anti-aliasing effects enabled to compensate for VR's low resolution, they look like little smudges and you can't identify them until they are really close. But all the years I played offline was without labels, so I am used to the problem. A VR dogfight with 4 vs 4 or better at contrail height in MiG-15s and F-86s is a real blast. A good night on DCS is as good or better than the best nights I ever had on Aces High. I really enjoy historical matchups and objectives a lot more than chess piece 3-way arenas with all sides having the same exact aircraft available.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2020, 04:46:03 PM »
Friday night is usually Free For All night. 1 vs 1 guns only no missiles in the AGR server. A lot usually show up for that.

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2020, 05:03:52 PM »
What DCS has the Aces High doesn't is more historically accurate setups with two sides and the associated aircraft. I have been playing DCS World offline for years. It is my preferred sim that I fly almost every night. I never had luck finding a DCS multiplayer server I like. But right now, I have several to choose from: 2 different Korean War setups, one with AI and one with only players. Vietnam War, showcasing the free A-4E-C Skyhawk mod operating off of carriers with AI. Cold War with all the fighters in the game that came before the US "teen" series and their all-aspect wonder missiles like the AIM-9L and AIM-120.

Spotting is definitely the biggest problem, but a recent patch makes contacts visible at realistic distances. Of course with anti-aliasing effects enabled to compensate for VR's low resolution, they look like little smudges and you can't identify them until they are really close. But all the years I played offline was without labels, so I am used to the problem. A VR dogfight with 4 vs 4 or better at contrail height in MiG-15s and F-86s is a real blast. A good night on DCS is as good or better than the best nights I ever had on Aces High. I really enjoy historical matchups and objectives a lot more than chess piece 3-way arenas with all sides having the same exact aircraft available.

Evidently you never were in AVA. We used to have very good setups in there. Just most people do not like the 2 sides.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2020, 06:58:16 AM »
LFDM should be in the very same list you find SOW in.   Look for a French flag.  The spotting is easier in there.  Numbers are down though, we were having 50/50 every night (GMT) for about 3 months but it appears to have dried up a bit, coming out of lockdown, summer, freebie trial ending, people trying out the P47/190A8 shine worn off etc.   

I have tinkered with SRS and it is a really neat tool but I had a few conflicts with Discord, SRS and DCS in game voice, when they were testing that.   I couldn't work out which of the 3 was tampering with volume levels in game so resorted to squad Discord only.   It was fun to hear randomers all mucking in much like AH range vox especially an entire squadron of French all getting excited (repeat please).   Brought it alive quite a bit if you didn't have squaddies to fly with.

The idea is all there, the missions in both servers pretty neat and kept updated by active hosts.   Just needs more players if you love dogfighting. 

The Few ***
F.P.H