Author Topic: First flight in DCS  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
First flight in DCS
« on: July 25, 2020, 09:08:59 AM »
First flight in DCS multiplayer WWII server, after 3 days in total in the game.

The results was devastating :-)

I want to take this moment to shoutout everyone from RSAF/ISAF (Royal Swedish Airforce & Independent Swedish Airforce) being 16 -17 years old when i started to play Warbirds i hunted down most of the Swedish players by searching for posts by Swedes on Newsgroups and Forums in order to get us flying togheter, it kinda snowballed from there. And even ended up in RL meetings etc.

Also the 900th Bloody Jaguars and the 249th RAF (and the 901st), i remember setting my alarm in the middle of the night/morning to fly with the 900th at like 05:00 in the morning Swedish time.

I wont name names even if tough i want to, its too many to name, and too many to risk being left out.

I just want to thank the AH and the former Warbirds community, somehow strangely this has helped define who i am, started with Warbirds at the age of 16-17 and now im 43 years old.

I want to thank the Devs of both Warbirds and AH for these awesome memories i have because of this game.

Cheers to all i had experiances with thru this  :cheers: and to the ones that are no longer here.

Truly Awesome.

Regards.

Maniac
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
Re: First flight in DCS
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 10:17:36 AM »
DCS is where it's at
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 11:02:24 AM »
LOL.  That was rude!

DCS has VR support right?  But doesn't have an offline career campaign?

TeamFusion is about to release their IL2: Desert Wings exansion first week of Aug.

I prefer VR, but it will be another six months before they add it to Destert Wings and Dover Blitz.  I just bought a TrackIR Pro to tide me over.  TrackIR is OK.  It's no where near as immersive as VR.  It will have to do for a while until the patch with VR arrives.

I'm in the mood for some good long offline career campaigns to lose myself in, so I'm looking forward to those.  I hope DW has the same Full-Mission-Builder that Dover Blitz has.  It's quite impressive.  I might make my own campaign in each for hoots.

:salute

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 11:14:29 AM »
DCS has VR support right?  But doesn't have an offline career campaign?

Yep, both VR support and Track IR and the alternatives to that.

You can fly the free P51 in order to see if you like it, just download DCS from steam client. But if you do you might be hooked :)

There is offline missions you can practise with, some modules offers campains aswell.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 11:16:03 AM by Maniac »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 11:23:38 AM »
Yep, both VR support and Track IR and the alternatives to that.

You can fly the free P51 in order to see if you like it, just download DCS from steam client. But if you do you might be hooked :)

There is offline missions you can practise with, some modules offers campains aswell.

By campaign, do you just mean a set of related missions?

I'm really hankering for more of a narrative career I can give my character a name, pick a photo, where my player increases in rank, from noob to squadron leader, gets medals, upgrades planes, gets invited to other squadrons and transfers etc.  I miss games like that. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 11:47:13 AM »
By campaign, do you just mean a set of related missions?

I'm really hankering for more of a narrative career I can give my character a name, pick a photo, where my player increases in rank, from noob to squadron leader, gets medals, upgrades planes, gets invited to other squadrons and transfers etc.  I miss games like that. 

Yep its more of a set of missions for sure. The days of red baron etc is gone, you can make great experiances and content with the ppl you play and fly with tough. for offline campaing stuff i dont know what to recommend really.

Maybe Falcon 4 with BMS mod
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 11:50:28 AM by Maniac »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 11:54:36 AM »
Yep its more of a set of missions for sure. The days of red baron etc is gone, you can make great experiances and content with the ppl you play and fly with tough. for offline campaing stuff i dont know what to recommend really.

Maybe Falcon 4 with BMS mod

Yeah, sadly it's a uncommon format now days/

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 12:02:28 PM »

IL2 Great Battles has 4 career campaigns, soon to be 5, with everything you mentioned, including Iron Man Mode. Plus dozens of scripted campaigns for download.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 12:31:58 PM »
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 12:37:03 PM by Maniac »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 12:45:10 PM »
IL2 Great Battles has 4 career campaigns, soon to be 5, with everything you mentioned, including Iron Man Mode. Plus dozens of scripted campaigns for download.

I recently picked up Stalingrad, Kuban, Bodenplatte on sale.   I've started exploring those.  At least they have VR and the grphics are nice.
I'm kinda meh on Russian stuff.  I REALLY wanted to do some BOB careers and have been waiting a year for the promised VR upgrade.  Grrr. 
Like I said, trackir is ok, but VR would be insanely awesome!

Now, if I could just hit something in IL2.  LoL  The gunnery seems so much harder for me, I don't know what it is.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 01:00:07 PM »

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 01:39:09 PM »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 06:47:38 AM »
Visibility is the issue with DCS

The main complaint is you can,t see bogies

Wasn't a big deal with jets and radar bur ww2 planes I can fly around for an hour and never seen another plane

The map stinks

VR blows in it

Great for "realism" maybe and very pretty but boring as hell to play IMO

<S>

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 12:32:40 PM »
Visibility is the issue with DCS

The main complaint is you can,t see bogies

Wasn't a big deal with jets and radar bur ww2 planes I can fly around for an hour and never seen another plane

The map stinks

VR blows in it

Great for "realism" maybe and very pretty but boring as hell to play IMO

<S>

Eagler

It's the same in IL2, Very hard to see enemy. People who strive for ultra-realism in their multiplayer servers see lots of friendly fire incidents.

VR doesn't suck in IL2, but it's still difficult to identify contacts in VR.

I own DCS and several mods, just need to sit down and play for several hours. (which I don't have) lol.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 05:18:58 PM »
during the free month numbers were great (full servers UK time) but they have since dropped off quite a bit now.  DCS isn't AH or IL2 it is a higher level of realism and experten.  I feel so elitist saying that but the satisfaction comes from more than just shooting down the enemy repeatedly it's the overall environment. 

Storm of war have a loyal following from their IL2 days, big phil has worked very hard to make his server as historically correct as possible. 

I had the most fun in LFDM when it was busy.   Would like to see the Channel map get used by somebody but again it's another paywall that people should break through with a giant sledgehammer.   

Did you crash on take off or get vulched?   Big Phil allows vulching, LFDM it is against their code of conduct and will result in timeouts/IP bans.

You can get the 109 cold startup down to about 15 seconds if you need to re-up.    :aok
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:23:00 PM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H