Author Topic: First flight in DCS  (Read 4185 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: First flight in DCS
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2020, 07:01:11 AM »
Hi Bruv

I will adjust the FOV and see if it helps my blind arse

What is the LFDM ww2 server?

I follow Phil and have been on the Storm of War server as I was hoping the F10 radar there would help but doesn't

<S>

Eagler

If you hit ctrl + pause/break key and hit it a couple of times it will bring up the FPS counter and the FOV setting,  zooming in and out will then change the figure.   

You can hard set it by editing the server.lua file in notepad in the views directory.   A bit long winded and having a general overall game one like AH would be better but it's because each module was completed at different times and they are treated as unique within the game folders. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2020, 07:29:27 AM »
I tried the zoom and it helped some but as soon as I take my eyes off the bogie it is gone.

It blends into the background and I usually only see its tracers going past me

Is there a ww2 online server that uses the dot icon setting?

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2020, 08:08:26 AM »
I tried the zoom and it helped some but as soon as I take my eyes off the bogie it is gone.

It blends into the background and I usually only see its tracers going past me

Is there a ww2 online server that uses the dot icon setting?

<S>

Eagler

This is the exact problem im having atm, LFDM server that Bruv is mentioning with the better icons and more players i have heard that one mentioned before, but i cant find it in the server list, ive been looking for it everytime i log on.

And im sure im searching for all servers.

Sounds exactly what im looking for.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 08:10:00 AM by Maniac »
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2020, 10:00:15 AM »
That is what used to bring the scenarios alive... all the different accents. Folks chattering in their native tongue.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2020, 10:28:25 AM »
This is the exact problem im having atm, LFDM server that Bruv is mentioning with the better icons and more players i have heard that one mentioned before, but i cant find it in the server list, ive been looking for it everytime i log on.

I wonder how hard it is to setup your own server.  I've been intrigued by DCS, but feel like the cost is a little ridiculous. 

IL2: Desert Wings comes out Aug 6.  I'm going to take a deep dive into that for a while.  I'd like to learn what is involved in setting up a server so I can have things the way I want it! ;)  I'm getting to be ok with engine management, but I want icons.  Especially once they add VR (which is the post release priority).  VR tech is probably 5 years away from being good enough to tolerate no icons. 

Hopefully DW will breath some new life into Blitz as well as it upgrades the same base game.  Blitz and I hope DW have quite an advanced mission editor, but the AI definitely needs some improvements.  ;) 

I wonder if CombatBox will run a DW server...

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2020, 11:09:27 AM »
I want to play DCS so bad but can’t pay for all the equipment lol. I mean I could I just don’t want to right now. I still need pedals track Ir stick and throttle. Can’t be using my Logitech xtreme 3D pro on a hat switch lol. That’s over 1,000$.  I have the computer to run it flawlessly. But it’s gonna be awhile for me. Looks amazing though. Love reading about it.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2020, 11:50:33 AM »
I want to play DCS so bad but can’t pay for all the equipment lol. I mean I could I just don’t want to right now. I still need pedals track Ir stick and throttle. Can’t be using my Logitech xtreme 3D pro on a hat switch lol. That’s over 1,000$.  I have the computer to run it flawlessly. But it’s gonna be awhile for me. Looks amazing though. Love reading about it.

You should be able to get an hotas setup & pedals + Track IR solution for well under 1000$

You should be able to do it for half of that imo and then you get very nice gear.

Im not sure of the current prices but i think i got my Warthog Hotas setup for around 350$, Saitek Combat Rudders for around 150$, and the Track IR alternative DelainClip for like 60$.

The thing that will set you back with DCS is the separate modules tough, you pretty much have to pick the ACs you like and focus on them, like one Warbird & one Modern Jet if you are not made of money :)

Alot of ppl seem to do that tough, buy one AC/Module then get really good at it. But i guess the Modern day stuff gives more longetivity for that aproach.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:58:57 PM by Maniac »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2020, 01:35:15 PM »
And wait for dcs to have a sale..never pay sticker price

You aren't missing much in game play IMO

I find AH3 much more enjoyable

But if you like pretty graphics, learning how to actually start a plane and fly around looking at the pretty graphics much more than actual fighting ..then dcs might be for you

Its the last part I find extremely boring

They need to have a dar and some sort of icon system to stimulate and accelerate actual A2A fights IMO

But the realism crowd has taken over there

The is why you cannot see anything behind your 9 to 3 line when using VR.

Check out the dcs videos on youtube..a buch of pretty planes flying around, very little action as compared to a typical AH sortie

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2020, 03:48:00 PM »

Check out the dcs videos on youtube..a buch of pretty planes flying around, very little action as compared to a typical AH sortie

<S>

Eagler

There is levels of difficulty with video games. DCS being the hardest and Aces High being the lowest.

Aces offers quicker action with lots of interesting characters which has had me hooked since 2000.

DCS is hardcore in a way that is to much for most flight sim enthusiasts who try it out. You are in battles just like the old timers were. Same conditions, no icons, and you have to actually control the aircraft not guide it around using combat trim.

There is nothing like strafing trains in a Thunderbolt in the Channel map.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2020, 04:07:52 PM »
There is levels of difficulty with video games. DCS being the hardest and Aces High being the lowest.

Aces offers quicker action with lots of interesting characters which has had me hooked since 2000.

DCS is hardcore in a way that is to much for most flight sim enthusiasts who try it out. You are in battles just like the old timers were. Same conditions, no icons, and you have to actually control the aircraft not guide it around using combat trim.

There is nothing like strafing trains in a Thunderbolt in the Channel map.

Not like they did in WWII but a nice try. Online we have less depth perception. That is the reason for icons... like it or not.

If all I wanted to do was fly around, I would try DCS. I have heard about it and have seen it on youtube. Nothing compelling if you are looking for action. I believe most of the gripes here have been about the lack of action. I can't imagine going to a place with so much less.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2020, 06:14:29 PM »
You should be able to get an hotas setup & pedals + Track IR solution for well under 1000$

You should be able to do it for half of that imo and then you get very nice gear.

Im not sure of the current prices but i think i got my Warthog Hotas setup for around 350$, Saitek Combat Rudders for around 150$, and the Track IR alternative DelainClip for like 60$.

The thing that will set you back with DCS is the separate modules tough, you pretty much have to pick the ACs you like and focus on them, like one Warbird & one Modern Jet if you are not made of money :)

Alot of ppl seem to do that tough, buy one AC/Module then get really good at it. But i guess the Modern day stuff gives more longetivity for that aproach.

The setup I want is not cheap lol. So I’m stuck waiting.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2020, 07:59:14 AM »
Not like they did in WWII but a nice try. Online we have less depth perception. That is the reason for icons... like it or not.

If all I wanted to do was fly around, I would try DCS. I have heard about it and have seen it on youtube. Nothing compelling if you are looking for action. I believe most of the gripes here have been about the lack of action. I can't imagine going to a place with so much less.

it is closer than aces can get to realism

As for just flying around in DCS, why don't you bring your arse in there and find out if it is just "Flyin Around" as you put it.

And lck of action you mean cherry pickin, vulchin, HO and run away correct?
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2020, 08:45:42 AM »
it is closer than aces can get to realism

As for just flying around in DCS, why don't you bring your arse in there and find out if it is just "Flyin Around" as you put it.

And lck of action you mean cherry pickin, vulchin, HO and run away correct?

The visual candy, the actual startup, thrust maintenance.... more real. No icons online, which we do in AH from time to time, just takes away any thought of depth perception that we do not have ONLINE.

Your last paragraph shows you don't know me.... I'll let your lack of knowledge slide on that one.

Again.... from what I have read about it and the youtube videos that I have seen... nothing there of interest for someone looking for fights. Now that is my opinion and everyone has one. YMMV.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2020, 09:02:43 AM »
I must agree to some levels, flyin DCS have opened up my eyes of how easy mode AH was, trim on level, trim on angle, combat trim, almost no risk of blowing your engine? Yes very realistic, like driving an car with an tesla autopilot. In the world of Pizza.

When it comes to the fights, yes you get in to the fights more easily in AH with the icons naming exactly what AC you are facing etc, the perfect distance and more.

DCS is not the ultimate of ultimates tough it have its flaws, but with the correct server and settings in it, it could far outperform AH when it comes to alot of aspects.

I indeed realised how easy mode AH was by starting up the free P51 in DCS. And it has nothing to do with flipping switches in pre flight. After flipping the 5 or so switches the first time, you do it in 10 seconds the second time, but it provides a bit of immersion for sure.

Then again, currently AH offers more in the dogfight department then DCS, and alas so does War Thunder.

AH ended up in this very strange middle ground of WWII online flight sims that is not mentioned anywhere anymore when it comes to this genre, and that is sad, AH did not make an definition so to speak, and is probably paying for it now.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:30:27 AM by Maniac »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2020, 09:28:20 AM »
I'll agree that no icons is more realistic when VR displays produce the resolution and  high-dynamic-range  of a health 20 yo pilot's vision.
Until then, no icons is less realistic because the display technology doesn't provide the kind of information to a player that a young pilot with excellent vision would have at any reasonable distance in real life.  They didn't let Mr. Magoo fly fighter planes for a reason.

Icons allow the game to produce a more realistic net outcome, even if by artificial means. 

Now there are different setting for range and info level that could be debated.   I think the scenario settings it probably closer to realism than the Melee.

And someday, VR display technology will advance to near natural vision levels.  Then I'll be OK with no icons.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:31:59 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.