Author Topic: First flight in DCS  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: First flight in DCS
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2020, 12:50:04 PM »
Yes the dot setting is what I try to use offline

I cannot find a ww2 dcs online server setup to use icons

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2020, 06:27:51 PM »
I'm splitting all my time between Aces and DCS right now.  My brother-in-law is a Lawndar... I mean Viper pilot currently, and we have had some great conversations over a sortie and a beer when he's on leave.  His take on it, is that all the switches are more or less accurate in the F-16CM model ....but the electronics aren't, obviously.  Also the F-16 is modeled a bit sluggish.... and I'll take him for his word.  He was pretty impressed with the realism of the startup and cockpit manipulation though.

I've basically barely moved into the "able to employ weapons with some accuracy" state... and am still setting up buttons.  I can CCIP Mark 82's with pretty good accuracy on T-55 sized targets, as well as strafe.  Still trying to get used to BVR 120's and HMCS AIM-9x shots though.

:salute
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2020, 04:27:21 AM »
I'm splitting all my time between Aces and DCS right now.  My brother-in-law is a Lawndar... I mean Viper pilot currently, and we have had some great conversations over a sortie and a beer when he's on leave.  His take on it, is that all the switches are more or less accurate in the F-16CM model ....but the electronics aren't, obviously.  Also the F-16 is modeled a bit sluggish.... and I'll take him for his word.  He was pretty impressed with the realism of the startup and cockpit manipulation though.

I've basically barely moved into the "able to employ weapons with some accuracy" state... and am still setting up buttons.  I can CCIP Mark 82's with pretty good accuracy on T-55 sized targets, as well as strafe.  Still trying to get used to BVR 120's and HMCS AIM-9x shots though.

:salute

I bought the FA-18 the other day, my first jet in DCS, im really happy that i did tough, having tons of fun learning the thing.

At first all the buttons and switches is intimidating, but after 5-6 hours in it i have no problem with doing an cold start, enabling what should be enabled (from memory), take off, do some basic AA stuff, can handle the AA radar decently. Have shot down some AIs and can land again.

You really learn stuff fast if you just throw yourself at it, and because you have to turn the switches push the buttons etc you learn FAST and you remember it easily, would have been another matter if you had to remember what key to push on your keyboard.

Theres alot of great youtube guides, that can be intimidating when you are new at it, i recommend watching some basic guides, then get at it fly some, play around with the MFD displays etc, THEN go back to the guides when you have som basic knowlege, then you get what they are talking about in the guides more easily.

Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2020, 04:56:15 PM »
This is the guy that runs the SoW server in DCS, going over the issue with dot visibility. The differance from 1080p vs 1440p.

It is much worse then i tought, no wonder i cant see any enemy aircraft in WWII in DCS, And it has not been fixed...

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2020, 05:32:59 PM »
This is the guy that runs the SoW server in DCS, going over the issue with dot visibility. The differance from 1080p vs 1440p.

It is much worse then i tought, no wonder i cant see any enemy aircraft in WWII in DCS, And it has not been fixed...

Makes sense. 

In one of the recent special events, our flight realized that me and another guy could see the initial contact dots way out further than the others. We had VR which is way less resolution than their monitors.  A single pixel is big in our view.

The trade-off?  At the point where they go "OK those are spits..." I'm like "uhhh, I'll take your word for it.  They are now 6 smudgy pixels in my view.".

You know, there is a technological fix available to equalize that for everyone....
wait for it......
Icons.
(Mic drop)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2020, 06:54:47 AM »
I tried my vr in dcs the last few days on SOW which runs on the latest beta

Still can't see anything

There is a bug where I can stand up in the cockpit and fly with my head and shoulders outside the cockpit.

You can see slightly better then and you have the wind and outside noises too  :)

The maps are useless IMO

SOW tries with a text dar but if you have that you should have something useful like a visual dar

The latest news show german radar units being added sometime in the future.

Have to wait and see if that helps in locating fights.

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2020, 07:32:47 AM »
Awsome... very realistic  :D

One could setup a WWII Surfing Arena.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2020, 04:16:07 PM »
Awsome... very realistic  :D

One could setup a WWII Surfing Arena.

we already got Col Kilgore's surf club
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2020, 05:00:10 PM »

My progress in the jets, after owning the F/18 for 4 days. Im a bit proud i must say  :cheers:

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2020, 06:41:08 PM »

My progress in the jets, after owning the F/18 for 4 days. Im a bit proud i must say  :cheers:

Lol, that landing was definitely sending the Rhino in for maintenance.

You know you can radio in to the tower, right?  :)  They'll clear the pattern.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2020, 07:57:02 PM »
we already got Col Kilgore's surf club

Haha
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2020, 06:59:24 AM »
It was created for jets and that seems to look/work great.

Too bad jets are not my thing.

It is when they added the ww2 birds without improving the visuals needed to actually see and track a target - that it is now stuck at IMO.

Eagler

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2020, 08:35:14 AM »
Lol, that landing was definitely sending the Rhino in for maintenance.

You know you can radio in to the tower, right?  :)  They'll clear the pattern.

The guy who designed those shocks should get an medal imo :), but sure, it was designed to make hard landings on aircraft carriers.

Ya i have to get better on the comms for sure, think i counted 3 ACīs otw to the runway there hehe, i should have said something on SRS for sure.

Too bad jets are not my thing.

Eagler

Ya i havent flied Jets since Falcon 3/4 days.

But it is great fun actually, really been enjoying the learning curve and fights, and i havent even started with the AG stuff yet, i really recommend it to anyone looking for an new combat flight sim experiance.

Im gonna keep on doing the multiplayer COOP PvE servers for an month or two i think, before i transition to the multiplayer PvP+PvE servers.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 08:53:51 AM by Maniac »

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2020, 09:45:59 AM »
Downloading newly released Cliffs of Dover Tobruk right now  :aok
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2020, 10:31:08 AM »
Downloading newly released Cliffs of Dover Tobruk right now  :aok

Downloaded it yesterday.Having fun with it. 
I'm even learning all the engine management. lol
I do leave icons on though.
I can tell there have been AI improvements.
Hope it doesn't take too long to get VR.

I've started an RAF campaign in BoB.
I still can't hit diddly.  :rofl  I don't know why I find that game so much harder to hit. I can't put my finger on it.

Between Cliffs of Dover + Tobruk + the full BoX set, I think I have my offline campaigning itch scratched for a while.
Except maybe I ought to get that Uboat game too.  :D

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:40:35 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.