Author Topic: PaintShop Pro vs Photoshop CS5 advice and thoughts.  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: PaintShop Pro vs Photoshop CS5 advice and thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 05:11:07 AM »
I was thinking about that after my post. No, I haven't noticed the pixel shift in years but I think it may be because of the habits I learned to export the bitmap files. I have far more issues with reflections.

If you still have a skin source file that has shifted pixels, I'd be curious to hear if the offset shows when those files are placed in a terrain's texsrc folder and built. The terrain wouldn't need to be uploaded as your local build engine is the same one used to create the terrain on the server. If the corrected versions of the bitmaps then show correctly, it would provide a utility for testing different export settings in other programs and potentionaly shortening your process.

After I've create the particular texture, I create a 'New (layer) from Visible', then select the layer, Copy All and paste as a new GIMP image, Ctrl+Shift+V. I just don't bother to save this temporary 'file' to the HD. If saving a grayscale, I delete the alpha at this point, which you never want to do to your original source files. If a Diffuse, I then export the new unsaved image as a bitmap, but under Compatibility Options, I check Do not write color space information. The default Advanced Options are for 32 bits A8 R8 G8 B8. Some of the terrain related bitmaps can be either 24 or 32 bit, so there's that.

As you said, the best tool is the one you're most familiar with. I'd be lost with either of the two other popular programs mentioned.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 05:15:11 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 03:02:17 AM »
OK, so I just tried Easyscor's terrain experiment. I converted one of my skins to 32-bit using Gimp 2.10 without re-saving it with MS Paint. Then I copied the skin files into the "texsrcv" folder of the terrain currently loaded into the terrain editor and built the terrain. For those that don't know doing this makes that skin the default skin for that ride for everyone using that terrain. The new default skin displayed correctly in the terrain, with no visible texture offset.

This is maybe getting a bit off topic but here's a bit more history of this problem: When HT originally fixed the Gimp 2.10 texture offset issue in the offline game and skin viewer a few months ago I successfully uploaded a couple of P-38 skins which had been converted using Gimp 2.10 but was soon told by players that they looked odd. When I checked these two skins online they both had the offset issue, but the same skin files on my local PC looked fine both in the offline game and viewer. So I reconverted the two skins using Gimp 2.06 and resubmitted them which fixed the problem.

Since I don't consider using an obsolete and hard to find old version of Gimp for this job to be a good solution for new or returning skinners I revisited this problem later. To check the issue still existed I tried to upload a Mosquito skin I had converted using 2.10. However the submission page refused to accept it as the altered header size meant the file did not match the bit count the submission page was expecting. Which begs the question how was I able to upload those two P-38 skins before? Talking to HT about this it turned out that getting the submission page to accept a range of bit counts for the diffuse and normal files for every ride would not be a trivial task so there was now no way of even submitting a skin converted using 2.10. HT suggested re-saving the file with MS Paint. I was a bit dubious about this as Paint does not even have a "save as 32-bit bmp" option but it worked fine, the bmp header bit count was restored and my Mosquito skin displayed correctly online. While its a bit of a kludge this only has to be done once per skin and the good thing about this solution is that both Gimp 2.10 and MS Paint are free and easily available to everyone.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:10:48 AM by Greebo »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 09:54:40 AM »
The upside to using an older version of GIMP like I do is you eliminate the Paint step.   I will look again at the version I'm using.   If I had to deal with Paint even after using GIMP to convert I'd get supremely annoyed.  :rofl
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 10:02:33 AM »
From your point of view Vraciu there would be no benefit changing from v2.06 to v2.10 of Gimp. If you were using a later version already you would be running into problems uploading your skins.

The problem with 2.06 is really just for a new or returning skinner because they will have great trouble finding anywhere to actually download it these days. Also if someone is using Gimp to create their skins they are going to want to do it the latest version.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 10:59:34 AM »
From your point of view Vraciu there would be no benefit changing from v2.06 to v2.10 of Gimp. If you were using a later version already you would be running into problems uploading your skins.

The problem with 2.06 is really just for a new or returning skinner because they will have great trouble finding anywhere to actually download it these days. Also if someone is using Gimp to create their skins they are going to want to do it the latest version.

Here you go Greebo.......

https://download.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.0/

All the Version 2 including 2.06.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:12:58 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)