Author Topic: PaintShop Pro vs Photoshop CS5 advice and thoughts.  (Read 1188 times)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
PaintShop Pro vs Photoshop CS5 advice and thoughts.
« on: August 04, 2020, 12:22:43 PM »
Was wondering if there's anything in the Ultimate edition that would make life easier over the standard PSP? Going to DL a trial and give it a try and noticed its on sale, $79 vs $99 and standard is at $63. I work in Photoshop and Illustrator CS5, because i don't want to pay a yearly subscription for the new stuff, but pasting vector images into PS can get to pixelated if your have to make multiple adjustments. PSP looks like it does vectors inside it and if they hold the crisp look I'll switch over.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: PaintShop Pro vs Photoshop CS5 advice and thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 02:49:38 PM »
I'm still using a Paintshop Pro version from about five years ago but in general Ultimate Editions tend to include a few extra programs and maybe some bundled clipart, I've never come across anything in such a bundle that makes skinning easier though. The focus of PSP's development in recent years has been photo editing which is why I have not bothered to update the program for a while. I don't use a lot of vector stuff myself so don't feel qualified to comment on its relative quality vs other programs.

I have tinkered with other graphics programs over the years such as Gimp, Photoshop and Krita but I know PSP so well now that I can just get things done much faster.

There is one limitation with PSP that is an issue WRT AH skinning though; the program is unable to save as a 32-bit bmp. Although the skin viewer and offline game can work with the 24-bit bmps that PSP outputs while you are creating your skin HTC requires the diffuse and normal maps to be saved as 32-bit bmps prior to submission. Getting round this is a bit of a faff but it only needs to be done once. First I load my finished 24-bit bmp files into Gimp, add a transparency layer and save them as 32-bit. Then I open these files in MS Paint and save them again to get rid of a bmp header issue that the latest version of Gimp has.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 02:51:20 PM by Greebo »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 02:54:40 PM »
I still use PSP 5.03 and an older version of GIMP to convert to 32-bit.   The only downside to PSP 5 is I'm limited to around 65 layers.   This is good and bad but it is at least forcing me to be a little more organized.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 03:08:04 PM »
Well damn lol, I'll just go in and manually clean up some stuff. Thanks for the info guys!

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 03:11:42 PM »
Later versions of PSP don't have this layer limit, I am using X9 and some of my skins have over a hundred layers. The later variants also have tools that can be sized up to 3,000 pixels, and IIRC are better at coping with the much larger amounts of memory needed for AH3's 2048 and 4096 size skin files, assuming your PC has a decent amount of memory that is.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 03:28:37 PM »
Yeah, I considered going to those but I'm so stuck on the interface of 5 that the changes to the older versions are annoying.  I bet if I forced myself to use it I would learn to like it, but I can't quite make the leap.

I do know that my program will occasionally (rarely) crash because of the file size.    Would be great if the newer versions were more stable, however, it is a minor inconvenience, so I put up with it for now.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 03:36:44 PM »
Got a new machine recently so trying to put some use to it outside of gaming, I9-10900Kgeforce rtx 2080 ti and 64 gigs of ram. The familiarity of PS and illustrator is why i'm with it. I pretty much have every key command engraved into my brain, this was just one detail that annoys me with it. I noticed how sharp you numbers and insignia so i started looking into it. Anyways i have a long way to go before that stuff is a issue in this new process

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 04:32:59 PM »
Sharpness comes from drawing the stuff yourself.   You'll refine things like insignia over time to make them better.   Numbers and the like are often sharp due to how you trim them.   I have noticed some photos of airplane side numbers show them to be far-less-than crisp, so it's definitely a case-by-case basis.

Nose art and the like starts as a very large file, usually hand-drawn (although you can occasionally find a good base image online to work with) and shrunk down.   Then you become captive to the 3D object and how it is rendered by the game.

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 04:50:27 PM »
Yea I'm hand doing everything vector based, so its sharp till i drop it in Photoshop and resize it. doing a search i'm not the only and i feel like ive been through this before years ago and can't remember if we worked it out or not. I'll just have to figure how to minimize it. I'm used to working the other way, Photoshop for images then placing that in illustrator or indesign to keep text and vector art clean. Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 04:52:11 PM by whiteman »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 04:56:05 PM »
Some things will get fuzzy because of the skin's resolution.  Can't be helped.

I draw as much as I can directly within the master diffuse file I'm working on.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 09:36:33 PM »
Yea I'm hand doing everything vector based, so its sharp till i drop it in Photoshop and resize it. doing a search i'm not the only and i feel like ive been through this before years ago and can't remember if we worked it out or not. I'll just have to figure how to minimize it. I'm used to working the other way, Photoshop for images then placing that in illustrator or indesign to keep text and vector art clean. Thanks for the help!

You will probably need to touch-up parts in photoshop after you size it. For thin lines and edges, use the 1 pixel paintbrush and scale the brush down below 50%.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 01:49:44 AM »
A couple of months ago I upgraded GIMP to version 2.10.20 and was very impressed. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for skinning. That said, I use it for my graphics work in AH3 objects and the terrain editor.

The 2.10.20 version includes built-in Normal mapping, unlike the older versions where you had to install a plug-in. I don't think either of these powerful programs are easy to learn.

Of less interest to skinners, it handles 32,000 x 32,000 pixels x 32bit bitmaps if you have the hardware and memory (64GBs DDR4) to handle it. If not, while using such gigantic image layers, it's like the 1980s; grab lunch while you wait for the last operation to finish.

If you're using GIMP, it's well worth the time upgrading. I had a few issues with losing my preferences. Pretty common with any upgrade these days, but I had copies on another computer making it easy, if time consuming, to see what changes I'd made.

I recommend making screen shots of your important preferences, if you've done much customizing.

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 02:07:08 AM »
Then I open these files in MS Paint and save them again to get rid of a bmp header issue that the latest version of Gimp has.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't run into that yet but forewarned is forearmed.

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 02:35:58 AM »
The issue with any version of Gimp later than 2.06 is that it introduces a few extra bytes into the header that offsets the whole texture a few pixels to the right so the skin looks weird when viewed in the game. I mentioned this to Hitech and he updated both the offline game and the skin viewer so that it could read the latest Gimp bmps correctly. However the issue resurfaces when the skin is submitted and modified into HTC's "res" format that compresses the five submitted bmps down to two 4 channel image files.

So it is possible that your object textures are also displaying correctly when viewed prior to submission but are offset a few pixels after the terrain is converted to res format. You can see the effect I am talking about in this BBS thread I started on the issue.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 02:38:21 AM by Greebo »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 02:46:32 AM »
I think in general any of the software packages mentioned in this thread are easily capable of producing excellent skins, its far more important that the skinner is really familiar with the software and knows how to get the best out of it than which software is used. There are various advantages and disadvantages to each, but there are usually work rounds for these. PSP lacks 32-bit bmp compatibility and it is necessary to add Nvidia's normal mapper as an add-on but I reckon it has the easiest interface of any of the software I have tried for a complete beginner to get to grips with.