Author Topic: Single player PC games  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Single player PC games
« on: August 16, 2020, 10:29:30 AM »
Hey all. finally reached the end of my tolerance for wot. IO am, looking for a couple PC games to waste time with but have been out of the gaming world for a while. I did try AH a while back but I am no longer competitive.

I am looking for a game that is good to play on win 10. I do have a pretty good gaming PC (cyber power) and can handle demanding video intensive games. My old stand by the Command and Conquer games run like crap on win 10. Same for all my old fps. Even far cry 2 tends to hiccup a bit and it is the ONLY one of them that works. I am looking for a couple fps ideas, maybe a space game with some combat. If there is something that runs like C&C used to that might be worth a try. I am not really interested on a MMOG just single player primarily. I do have to say for space games the old homeworld actually bored me to tears. I did enjoy privateer back in the day it was a newer game.

In short ww2 games, space games. fps, some strategy  so anything that you enjoyed I am interested in hearing about.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
Re: Single player PC games
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 11:30:25 AM »
One excellent strategy game: 'Into the Breach' (SF with mechs).
Simple to learn yet very smart.
Can be played during 10 min sessions if needed.
Lots of replay value.
Reasonably priced.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/mar/05/into-the-breach-review
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 11:33:45 AM by deSelys »
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 11:38:31 AM »
https://outerworlds.obsidian.net/en

Wished you'd mentioned it while it was still on sale (I got it for $30.00).

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 12:51:53 PM »
Kerbal space program
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 01:55:16 PM »
I'm still playing Silent Hunter 3 and 4. With the right mods, the games are still great.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 02:09:19 PM »
I'm still playing Silent Hunter 3 and 4. With the right mods, the games are still great.

Wish I could find all of my mods and make it work on my machine. It was literally hours of patrol enjoyment. My wife never could figure out how I could sit for hours with a long time between contacts and be content. :)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 02:12:17 PM »
Wish I could find all of my mods and make it work on my machine. It was literally hours of patrol enjoyment. My wife never could figure out how I could sit for hours with a long time between contacts and be content. :)

After 15+ years, I finally got SH3 stable with GWX and SH3 Commander. There are newer mods for widescreen, but Im content with my old monitor.

The key is installation outside of the Steam folder I found out.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 02:18:17 PM »
After 15+ years, I finally got SH3 stable with GWX and SH3 Commander. There are newer mods for widescreen, but Im content with my old monitor.

The key is installation outside of the Steam folder I found out.

I'm an SH4 man.  :D

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 02:27:28 PM »
I'm an SH4 man.  :D

It has it's own quirks too.

FOTRS and TMO are great mods, but I think I installed them wrong.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 02:29:28 PM »
I like Trigger Maru (Overhauled).

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 05:02:25 PM »
I'd check out Company of Heroes or Civilization for some relaxing RTS games. Naval Action is cheap and has a PvE server if you like age of sail.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 11:00:41 PM »
Mav, it's not single player but Rude and I are playing America's Army again.

Just need to pick a good server. There are definitely hackers in it but less on the official servers for some reason. We've found playing the servers with just 4-8 people altogether are pretty fun.0

We're bugging Sax to get into it too. You're welcome to give it a go with us if you like.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 12:02:06 AM »
Man I've accidentally blown up so many Kerbals. Good times.

Interplanetary is kinda fun. You can fling asteroids at enemy planets.

I used to play the X series space games. I think the newest is X4: Foundations but I stopped at X3. Not really sure how the newest are but it was basically a sandbox galaxy. Start off with just a fighter and eventually move up to fleets of capital ships and space stations. It's definitely a grind but the story missions are interesting. It's all single player.

Starcraft II is basically C&C with aliens, and a lot of fun. The base game is free now.

Hearts of Iron IV is a decent WW2 high level strategy game.

Far cry peaked at 3 but 4 and 5 aren't terrible. Worth a buy on sale.

Bioshock. Great FPS series.

I could go on, there are so many good games out there.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 01:21:37 AM »
Been playing Avorion:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/445220/Avorion

Its not single player but can be played as if it is.  I actually run my own private server just so that time elapses when I'm not playing so I can make more money off my factories.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 09:37:03 AM »
Toad. I used to play AA before we hit the road. I really liked it and got accused numerous times of hacking. What can I say I loved the hospital mission and learned all the hiding places and the grenade launcher was fun so I hoarded the round. I'll check into it.

Going to look over the games listed, thanks folks
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown