Author Topic: Medical Emergency Over Columbus  (Read 871 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Medical Emergency Over Columbus
« on: August 21, 2020, 09:46:14 AM »
Medical Emergency Over Columbus

Last leg of the night into Pittsburg, PA in our 737-700.  We are cruising at 39,000 in smooth air over Columbus, Ohio when we receive an “urgent” code ring over the crew intercom system.  I  answer and the lead flight attendant advises that there’s an elderly lady in the back who has become unresponsive.  I ask my First Officer to contact our emergency medical service.  This is a 24/7 available asset available to us via a dedicated radio frequency anywhere on our company route structure.  He successfully makes contact with the Doctor on duty and links the lead flight attendant to him.  She describes the lady’s condition to the Doc and he recommends getting her on the ground to medical attention as soon as possible. 

During the time we passed over Columbus, completed the emergency medical call, and the Doc’s instructions, we’ve flown over 40 miles. Our Emergency Medical checklist directs to land at the nearest suitable airport.  In this case, Columbus is the “nearest”.  But, at 39,000 feet, we are six and a half miles above the airport and it’s going to take about 90 miles of travel across the ground to get the 737 down from cruise altitude to landing pattern altitude.  Instead, we are now about 90 miles from Pittsburg and have a plane load of passengers expecting to deplane there tonight.  I ask my flying partner what he thinks about continuing to point at Pittsburg versus spiraling down back to Columbus.  He thinks Pittsburg is the most logical plan.  I concur, ask him to declare a medical emergency with Center, and request an immediate, unrestricted descent.  Center clears us as requested and direct to the Pittsburg airport.  While pushing the nose over, reducing power to flight idle, and extending the speed brakes, I ask my partner to contact company at Pittsburg and advise them of our situation, then contact company dispatch in Dallas, and advise them. 

As all of this transpires, I’ve got the jet pointed directly at the Pittsburg airport which is starting to come into view out in the distance on this moonless night.  Our airspeed is intentionally just a half needle width below the max airspeed (barber pole striped) needle.  At this speed we are coming out of altitude at a expedited rate and moving across the ground smartly with haste.  We continue to monitor the crew intercom for any changes in the lady’s condition.  Still unresponsive with a weak pulse. Approaching 10,000 feet, normal procedure and FAA requirement is slow to 250 knots, or less, before descending below that altitude.  In an emergency situation, it’s the Captains’s discretion to do what is necessary and prudent for flight safety.  Our unresponsive lady in the back, is in need of immediate medical attention.  So, I advise that I’m going to keep the speed up.  My partner replies “Roger that.”  We’re slicing through the night air at about 330 knots.

Getting closer now, we are switched from the Center Controller to Pittsburg Approach.  Checking in with him, we are cleared for a visual approach to runway 28R (nearest to our gate) and to contact Tower.  Checking in with Tower and cleared to land 28R, we are on about a 20 mile, left downwind with the engines still in flight idle (about 35% RPM), speed brakes still extended, and leveling at a 1500 foot traffic pattern altitude, with 330 knots of airspeed.  Now to get slowed down, extend the landing gear, flaps, and establish a normal pattern approach and landing. 

Despite the 737’s chubby appearance, it is very aerodynamically clean and doesn’t slow down easily.  A very typical and challenging skill to develop for pilots new to the jet, and a challenge tonight.  As our airspeed bleeds off, the landing gear is extended at 270 knots, which helps further reduce airspeed so we can start extending flaps on schedule.  We turn the base leg to final with final landing configuration established and set final approach target airspeed. 

After landing, Tower clears us to the gate.  Our Company Ops crew has done a great job preparing for us.  There’s an ambulance, fire truck, and airport ops vehicles waiting for us at the gate.  We park, shut down, complete the normal checklists, and can hear the flight attendants asking everyone to remain seated so the medical emergency crews can attend to the lady.  She has somewhat come out of her unresponsive state as they transport her from the jet, place her on a gurney, and take her to the top of the jetway into the terminal.  From there, the rest of our customers are cleared to deplane.

Since this is our last leg of the night, we, as a crew, have additional tasks to do before shutting the jet electrical power for the night.   With all that done, I complete the final cabin walkthrough, conduct the shutdown checklist, and the jet goes dark. 

The five of us start the trek up hill to the top of the jetway.  As we get to the top, the medical crew is still there with the gurney but, it’s unoccupied.  To our amazement (well, not so much because this is a fairly common scenario) our “unresponsive” lady is walking away under her own power, roller bag in tow.  Glancing back to the medics, they just shrug their shoulders and shake their heads.  In the airline industry, it’s referred to as “The Miracle Of Inflight Healing”.

It’s fairly routine on airline flights to encounter one or two people in wheel chairs that require assistance boarding.  In our company, they are taken down to the jet first before anyone else boards so they can get on the jet unencumbered and select a front row seat. Then, remaining customers are boarded.  The numbers vary but, are usually no more than a small hand full.  I did work a flight once that had 26 wheel chairs to board.  Higher numbers of wheel chairs obviously takes more time and usually results in a late departure.

Now, on the other end, after landing and parking, wheel chair customers are asked to remain seated until chairs are available in the jet way and so other customers can deplane. Frequently, we witness “The Miracle Of Inflight Healing” occur when only one or two (sometimes none) of a larger number of wheel chair bound customers requires a wheel chair to exit the plane but, instead walk up hill to the terminal.  It’s a Miracle.

Next time flying commercial, observe this miracle healing in action. 

Then, there are “Service” animals.  But, don’t get me started on that.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: Medical Emergency Over Columbus
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 10:16:03 AM »
Some folks are just plain self indulgent to the point of criminal conduct.
 Good story there.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 10:17:31 AM »
ROTFLMAO

They actually place folks at risk with their little games. If an ambulance is called, they should have to take the ride.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 10:58:24 AM »

I'm on a conference call (biz presentation  :bhead) great distraction.

Great read Puma!  My wife was a FA for 10 years - she has similar stories.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 11:02:10 AM »
 :O

...So you're saying her endgame was to get off the plane first?

Not calling you a BSer, but that's almost hard to believe.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 11:20:03 AM »
:O

...So you're saying her endgame was to get off the plane first?

Not calling you a BSer, but that's almost hard to believe.

Wiley.

I’m not saying anything, just reporting my observations.  Do trust me that this sort of thing happens everyday.  Airline crews see it day in and day out.  May be a different set of circumstances but, the endgame is the same.

Busher?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:44:10 PM by Puma44 »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 11:43:55 AM »
I’m not saying anything, just reporting my observations.  Do trust me that this sort of thing happens everyday.  Airline crews see it day in and day.  May be different set of circumstances but, the endgame is the same.

Busher?

Not sure how it would be enforced, but if you're faking something like that, in a just world they should nail your bellybutton to the wall.  At least make you pay for the emergency crews.

Ah well, we're all being digested by an amoral universe.  This is just another example. ;)

Good story regardless.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 01:49:52 PM »
Not sure how it would be enforced, but if you're faking something like that, in a just world they should nail your bellybutton to the wall.  At least make you pay for the emergency crews.

Ah well, we're all being digested by an amoral universe.  This is just another example. ;)

Good story regardless.

Wiley.

Thanks Wiley!  Unfortunately, this behavior is very common and blatant.  Someone is always working an angle to their advantage.  Sad.

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 04:08:49 PM »
Good story! How pissed would everyone have been if you had diverted to Columbus for this woman and she just walks away after a quick gurney ride into the terminal.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 04:23:52 PM »
Another good one.

Incidentally, my mother, a victim of polio and wheelchair bound, was always accommodated and appreciated it greatly. We were a military family and changed bases/homes semi-regularly. Back then, I never encountered or recognized anyone taking advantage of the system (granted, I was young and not skeptical and it was the 60s/early 70s). Back when a 6 year old in a flat top haircut could be invited to the cockpit for the thrill of a lifetime.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 04:28:37 PM »
I'm still kind of reeling that this type of thing (not the diversion but the miraculous healing) is common enough that the flight crews a) have a name for it and b) just go "yup, another one."

Ye gods people suck.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 07:12:24 PM »
One day she will cry wolf..... and there really will be one. Hopefully she is ignored.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 07:31:42 PM »
Good story! How pissed would everyone have been if you had diverted to Columbus for this woman and she just walks away after a quick gurney ride into the terminal.

That was part of the decision logic deciding on which way to go since it was going to take about the same amount of time going either direction.  Going to Columbus would have made us all an hour or two late getting to Pittsburg. As it was, we arrived early at the gate in Pittsburg.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 07:38:55 PM »
or they could be like me.  i don't like flying, I'm afraid of it. so i tell the cabin attendant about it.   there's time when I'll be in full mode where i feel like I'm gonna die. blood pressure is high and can't breathe.  soon as i land. I'm like nothing is wrong.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 11:27:25 AM »
I’m not saying anything, just reporting my observations.  Do trust me that this sort of thing happens everyday.  Airline crews see it day in and day out.  May be a different set of circumstances but, the endgame is the same.

Busher?

Not surprised you called on me. Be of no doubt Gents, this example of the crap that Airline crews have to deal with daily is not even slightly surprising; which leads me to another question.

Puma, you clearly spent some great time in the Air Force and flew some jets I would have loved to get my hands on. For your own reasons and I would never pry into those, you decided to join the Airline pilot ranks. Had you decided to remain in the Air Force, could you have retained a flying seat for your entire career? and retired comfortably in your senior years?
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.