Author Topic: Oculus Rift Headset USB  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Oculus Rift Headset USB
« on: September 01, 2020, 10:36:24 AM »
When I open the oculus software and select “Devices” to confirm everything is healthy, the headset is highlighted orange with a message to use a USB 3.0 for better performance. This shows even though the headset is plugged into an internal 3.0 port in my computer.  All of my computer USB ports are 3.0s.  I’ve tried unplugging from the port, waiting a short time, and then replugging.  This turns the orange to green in the “Devices” menu.  Previous to about a month ago, this never occurred.

Does this indicate a problem with the USB port, or a problem with the headset?  Next, I’m going to swap USB ports with another device (other than my oculus gear) to see if this duplicates. My oculus software is up to date.

Thanks in advance for help in another “I don’t know what I don’t know” situation.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Oculus Rift Headset USB
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 11:04:27 AM »
The RiftS has a rep for being beyond finicky with whatever it's plugged into, whether it be the USB or DP. Mine gave me that issue when it was new but straightened out after a patch. Then after a while I started having random headset crashes. This was after a new PC build that only had USB 3.0 ports! I not only unplugged the cables from the PC and did that dance as you did, I unplugged it from the headset and reseated it there too. Meanwhile I bought a powered USB 3.0 hub too just in case. After all that is been months since I've had either a crash or the warning on my gear.

I also snagged a spare cable when it popped up on their store. They tend to get rare and extra pricey from other sellers. Once that becomes unobtainable you're really screwed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 11:48:42 AM »
Thanks Drano!  I have also had some strange random crashes/screen freezes while in VR that have required the curl-alt-Del to regain control of the computer.  Until now, I wasn’t sure if it was the game, my computer, or the headset.  Fortunately, only a couple of those. 

My computer is also relatively new with numerous USB 3.0 ports.   My previous rig had limited USB ports requiring 3 powered hubs to accommodate all the stuff.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 12:52:23 PM »
In your PC control panel go to power options/change advanced power settings/USB settings and make sure the selective suspend setting is disabled.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 01:20:47 PM »
Yeah that and check all of those things again after a windows update. I've found many of them reset afterwards. Another annoying feature.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 04:17:31 PM »
In your PC control panel go to power options/change advanced power settings/USB settings and make sure the selective suspend setting is disabled.

Yeah that and check all of those things again after a windows update. I've found many of them reset afterwards. Another annoying feature.

Thanks gents!  I confirmed that it is in “disabled”. 

Next, I swapped the headset to a differentUSB 3.0 port, opened oculus, and found the headset again in orange.  Then, I unplugged the headset, waited about 30 seconds, plugged it in, and it came up green.  Would it be logical to leave the headset plugged in when not in use or unplug it?

So, I feel like it’s not a computer problem but, a headset issue for some unknown reason.  Any other ideas?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 04:50:59 PM »
I leave mine plugged in all the time. No idea why they just seem to do this crazy stuff to some people and not others. From what I've read they're very high draw devices and require a lot of power that literally skates on the edge of what a normal USB port directly on a mobo will deliver. But there's a standard for that, right?

That's why I went with a powered hub that I only have the RiftS plugged into. So far so good with that for some months now. But still, keep an eye out for windows resetting your power settings on you.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 05:49:24 PM »
I leave mine plugged in all the time. No idea why they just seem to do this crazy stuff to some people and not others. From what I've read they're very high draw devices and require a lot of power that literally skates on the edge of what a normal USB port directly on a mobo will deliver. But there's a standard for that, right?

That's why I went with a powered hub that I only have the RiftS plugged into. So far so good with that for some months now. But still, keep an eye out for windows resetting your power settings on you.

+1 on this - I have my boys Oculus headsets plugged in all the time in their computers including the Acer in mine. Connectivity issues went away when we started doing that. I just shut down the Oculus app if not using it.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 06:11:35 PM »
It's odd that this started a month ago and didn't happen prior to that. I assume you didn't add anything new at that time. If it occurred along with an Oculus update that would be a good clue.

Unless you have a gaming MB in your PC you might have limited power for all of your USB devices. You might also do better with USB 3.1 rather than 3.0.

You can get a USB 3.1 card that plugs into the MB and connects to your power supply. That would add USB 3.1 ports to your PC that are powered separately from the MB USB. It would plug into a slot similar to your video card.

You could also do as Drano and add a powered USB 3.0 hub that plugs into a USB 3.0 port. That would help if it is a power issue.

My headset is always plugged in. The only time I have to do anything is when Oculus updates or the controller battery needs charging.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 08:55:53 AM »
Thanks for the help and insights, gents.  I have always left my headset plugged in also. In the short term, I’ll give a powered USB hub a try.  Then, look at a 3.1 upgrade internally.  I’ve not changed any hardware configuration.  That’s why this has mystified me and made me wonder if an update caused this to start happening on a very random basis.

Thinking more about my random occurrences, they’ve only happened in the training arena while working with one other player, never in any other arena.  Coincidence? 

Anyhow, thanks for ideas, gents.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 09:54:48 AM »
Thanks for the help and insights, gents.  I have always left my headset plugged in also. In the short term, I’ll give a powered USB hub a try.  Then, look at a 3.1 upgrade internally.  I’ve not changed any hardware configuration.  That’s why this has mystified me and made me wonder if an update caused this to start happening on a very random basis.

Thinking more about my random occurrences, they’ve only happened in the training arena while working with one other player, never in any other arena.  Coincidence? 

Anyhow, thanks for ideas, gents.

Puma - I did the 3.1 PCI-E card insert (ASUS) into my computer. I would avoid the cheapies like Starlink as I had issues with compatibility for our Oculus headsets. My boys have modern gaming PC's with gaming motherboards and built-in USB-C 3.1 connectors.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 09:57:14 AM by Mister Fork »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 12:00:53 PM »
This was the card I bought for the older PC. It's a PCI-E card with a molex and SATA connector to draw power directly from your PSU. So you need both a usable slot and another connection to your power supply for this guy to work fully. It's the one recommended by Oculus if you're having problems with your other on-board ports. Earlier ones like I had just weren't up to the power draw. IIRC I had to update the drivers on this card for it to work properly with the RiftS but it did work out afterwards on that PC which was a c2011 build that only had a couple of usb3 ports at all.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_P18tFb86Y99AG

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 03:53:28 PM »
This is the one I ended up with...but it seems to be very scarce.  You need a spare PCI-E spare port on your motherboard with 4x8x16 speeds

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboard-Accessories/USB_31_TYPEC_CARD/

Here at NewEgg.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 03:59:04 PM by Mister Fork »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 04:10:42 PM »
Type C is good for the Oculus Quest but not the Rift or Rift-S.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 04:30:46 PM »
Type C is good for the Oculus Quest but not the Rift or Rift-S.
Can verify this. While the standard for power is higher on the c, I didn't find any diff when using either of the on-board usb3 or usb-c ports on the new PC. That's an Asus x570e mobo so a decent board. The powered hub hasn't failed yet. Because of this I really think it's not a bandwidth thing so much as an amperage thing. I believe the on-board ports on most boards will just supply maybe just enough power--or not! Too many people having this exact problem with too many different systems.

It could also be a design issue with the headset too but so far my random crash issues are a thing of the past. Will report back if they crop back up.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"