Author Topic: The future of the game: let's help write it  (Read 12461 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: The future of the game: let's help write it
« Reply #225 on: August 10, 2020, 04:46:47 PM »
Holy Shi*t.  You might just be right.
Look at the high fidelity we had back then.

There were no online games back then. I remember (both lack of online games and scopes). In real life fuel burn rate was 1.0. In real life mechanical failure that was no fault of the enemy happened. In real life you couldn't fly twenty sorties in twenty aircraft from six different nations in an hour's time. In real life the terrain was always a piece of the real Earth and not an alien planet designed for a balanced three sided playing field.

Maybe you can dig all the realism you can eat in DCS but this game is not a purist's sim. I find your complaint's valid for you but not really applicable to everyone.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #226 on: August 10, 2020, 04:49:02 PM »
Don't care much for the size of the dots.  It's when you can see when they are turning and which way they are
heading that ruined it for me.

Coogan

Fair enough.  Different strokes.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #227 on: August 10, 2020, 05:31:30 PM »
I think one of the biggest issues of the game is has too much stuff.

A new players comes in and fights to figure out how to just get off the ground, never mind "where" the fight is and "how" to fight. Add in GVs, bombing, base capture, strat running, missions, sea battles, pt and lvt operations, Im sure it becomes a bit over whelming.

Now is the time we could use "Combat Tour". Barring pulling that out Some leaders would be great. ET37 could turn any night into a fun experience. Maybe get a bunch of players who might be interested in running mission on to a schedule. One guy take an afternoon, another take an evening and switch off during the week so they arent "stuck" always running the missions. A couple dozen players could build a good corp to take control of the war.  Maybe HTC could pay these players with a free month of subscription for those that run a certain number of missions each month.

With the "guidance" a leader would bring it would help corral the new guys and give them a purpose other than just upping to get killed after a single turn. Running these missions could show players the depth of the game and how to use all of these different aspects. More things to do means less boredom for players. More missions run makes for more fights. More fights makes furballs.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #228 on: August 11, 2020, 09:41:48 AM »
AcesHigh is unique as it really doesn't follow the 4 stages of a mainstream game;

Stage 1 Learn, where the player spends an hour learning how to play the game, this is the trickiest part to make fun and to entertain the player while learning because of the pressure he/she is under to succeed and not fail this early point, to not make it feel like work.
The 2nd, Play, where the player has learned to play the game, gathering experience and starting to feel comfortable but not under repeat pressure of failure/dying.
3rd stage, Challenge, where the player starts to challenge him/herself bumping up the difficulty to be challenged, but baring in mind people like to succeed.
The 4th and final is Surprise, where the player is surprised by something new the game presents later down the line.

In AcesHigh you are immediately surprised by the challenge of how you learn to play.
The future is fixing this immediate issue, the rest of this thread is just roadkill
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2020, 09:55:36 AM »
In AcesHigh you are immediately surprised by the challenge of how you learn to play.

The future is dumbing down Aces High to the point of flying checkers because each succeeding generation hates challenge, the rest of this thread doesn't matter to me

Fixed it for ya.  :D

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2020, 12:03:50 PM »
Don't put words in my mouth when I'm making a valid point
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:05:30 PM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #231 on: August 11, 2020, 01:07:29 PM »
Don't put words in my mouth when I'm making a valid point

Neither of those things happened. :old:

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #232 on: August 21, 2020, 09:52:53 AM »
How about some bumper stickers that can be purchased for $5. They will have a p51D on them, or spit for the euro crowd, with the website address: Flyaceshigh.com with the logo sort of like what's on the front page. That might be a cheap and effective marketing strategy to get people to check out the website.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #233 on: September 07, 2020, 09:41:06 AM »
I was thinking....I know, I know    :D One of the biggest issue with giving away a "free" set of planes in the MA has been that they would have to be Mid-war planes and so would be that much harder for the new player to learn to be competitive and so that much more frustrating.

How about giving away late war monsters but limiting them by cutting fuel and/or ammo? Want a P51D? Sure, but you only get 25% fuel, 200 rounds of ammo, and NO REARMS. This way new guys could fly any plane they wanted, and if "vets" dropped their subs to fly the freebies (which I would think would be very uncool) they wouldn't be able to be monsters out there flying free. On top of that, HTC could set it up so a "free" player could buy more ammo per flight as a micro transaction.

Its only a bit of coding after all, what do you think?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #234 on: September 08, 2020, 07:35:43 AM »
Perk points turn into "coins" like these "free" games use.

You can use perk points to fly restricted airplanes or use them to pay your  $15 monthly fee.

This would encourage the better players to fly the slower weaker planes.

And it would give us who do not fly the perked aircraft something to spend the perks on.

They should also be transferable - I should be able to give my perks to a countryman if he needs them to fly a particular airplane and is short of needed perks or to gift them a free 3 month subscription.

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #235 on: September 08, 2020, 06:20:55 PM »
I would like to be able to gift perks to a new player so they might see what can be done with them.  Make it known to new players to look up experienced players for pointers on the game. When they do, allow us to give them some perks if they follow through. I have a lot of perks that I would gladly use this way. Get the new player involved and some experience at the same time.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)