Author Topic: Chrome Help  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Chrome Help
« on: September 06, 2020, 10:55:42 AM »
Hey guys, looking for some tech help here.

I have an older dell XPS that i 99% of the time just for AH3.  Its an i5 with a aftermarket card, power supply, and some RAM.

runs the game great, but when i go to open up google chrome, it starts to not respond.  I tried running that sfc scan through command prompt, and it started hanging up during that too.  The only way to fix it is to shut it down by the power button, and starting it back up.  This machine is still running Win7.  Ive flushed the DNS, cleared cookies and history, etc.

Why is google chrome doing this to my pc? If all I do is turn it one and play AH, its fine.

Thoughts? Its so unresponsive its hard to even check if the version of chrome is up to date.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: Chrome Help
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 11:01:11 AM »
Thought I would add, that when this stutter starts to happen, i cant even get the task manager to open.

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 08:34:34 AM »
Does it happen every time when you open Chrome?

Open up task manager before opening chrome and leave it visible (put chrome into a window not covering the full screen so you can see the task manager window).  Then watch and see how much cpu and memory chrome is using, or if another process begins taking up a lot of your resources.  Chrome itself has a monitor for its various process, called task manager.  See this article:  https://www.howtogeek.com/437681/how-to-use-chromes-built-in-task-manager/  Once you discover what is causing the problem (high memory or cpu usage) you can halt that particular process and then disable or remove any extensions responsible.

Alternatively, when was the last time you ran a virus/malware scan on your machine?  Run your scans without chrome running.

Mike

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 12:08:49 PM »
Can you go to the settings of Chrome, in normal Windows or Safe mode? If you can, scroll down through the Advanced settings to the very bottom. There you should find resetting Chrome as well as a malware scan. A little higher up there's a button for leaving background processes on which is something I always disable.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 03:18:29 PM »
Thanks guys i will try these ideas and report back when i get a chance at it.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 04:52:43 PM »
A little more backstory here.

A few weeks months ago, i had some beeping at startup, and it i dicated an issue with RAM.  I have four slots, so i switched from 1 and 2, to slot 2 and 4.  Stated fine.  I reset chrome and whatnot as mentioned by you guys above, still issues.

So i said screw it, and pulled the cover off the case and switched to slots 3 and 4.  Started back up, no issues in chrome, computer purring like a kitten. 

Do you think my 2nd memory bank is failing? Obviously its not the sticks themselves, because moving them around has now solved another problem for me.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 10:41:56 PM »
Do you know for sure that the beeping at startup was a memory issue? Usually but not always the beeps are a in a series that's code for what's happening. The mobo manual will have that. Newer mobos will beep or have an led that will show whether it's a memory or GPU or CPU error. The last two Asus boards I've had have a two digit LED display that'll flash a code for what the board is doing during boot up. If there's an error it'll show what happened exactly. Just look up that code and fix it.

Also mobos can be particular about which mem slots are used with a given set of sticks. Just because there's 4 slots doesn't mean you can just stick em in any of them willy nilly. Check the mobo manual.

You can use memtest to check your memory. Involves booting to a memory stick. That way it runs outside of windows.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 05:14:09 AM »
Do you know for sure that the beeping at startup was a memory issue? Usually but not always the beeps are a in a series that's code for what's happening. The mobo manual will have that. Newer mobos will beep or have an led that will show whether it's a memory or GPU or CPU error. The last two Asus boards I've had have a two digit LED display that'll flash a code for what the board is doing during boot up. If there's an error it'll show what happened exactly. Just look up that code and fix it.

Also mobos can be particular about which mem slots are used with a given set of sticks. Just because there's 4 slots doesn't mean you can just stick em in any of them willy nilly. Check the mobo manual.

You can use memtest to check your memory. Involves booting to a memory stick. That way it runs outside of windows.

I googles the beep codes, and it went from not working without being tampered with, to working after I switched the banks, so i assume i was on the right track.. think ill memtest it too.  At the end of the day ive had this thing for 7 years.. i kind of hope it melts down so i can build new.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 12:05:00 PM »
Why wait? If it's what you want then do it. New GPUs out soon, so it's a good time!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 12:25:24 PM »
I'm thinking while you may be having a Chrome problem it likely isn't related to your memory problem if you're having a memory problem actually. Could be you just needed to re-seat your memory sticks. I've had to do that with my last build after a while. Look up which slots your sticks are supposed to be in. It's important so that they run at the right speed and right channel. Usually a pair will either be in 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. But all mobos aren't created equally so look it up and try starting again with them in the proper slots and see  happens.

The Chrome thing is odd. I have it on my PC but pretty much only use it for things directly related to my Google acct. I generally use Firefox for everything else. Chrome has a bunch of background processes that I just shut down in windows services anyway so they don't even run. I have a bunch of other stuff disabled per black viper's tweak guides. http://www.blackviper.com/

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 03:42:01 PM »
How old is your power supply? Weird crap like that often comes back to a psu on the way out.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 04:01:10 PM »
How old is your power supply? Weird crap like that often comes back to a psu on the way out.

Id say 2 or 3 years old.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 04:03:20 PM »
I'm thinking while you may be having a Chrome problem it likely isn't related to your memory problem if you're having a memory problem actually. Could be you just needed to re-seat your memory sticks. I've had to do that with my last build after a while. Look up which slots your sticks are supposed to be in. It's important so that they run at the right speed and right channel. Usually a pair will either be in 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. But all mobos aren't created equally so look it up and try starting again with them in the proper slots and see  happens.

The Chrome thing is odd. I have it on my PC but pretty much only use it for things directly related to my Google acct. I generally use Firefox for everything else. Chrome has a bunch of background processes that I just shut down in windows services anyway so they don't even run. I have a bunch of other stuff disabled per black viper's tweak guides. http://www.blackviper.com/

Yeah mine are color coded, and it looks like 1 and 3, 2 and 4.  Odd thing is i have them in 3 and 4 now, and its running the game the best it has in awhile.  Then again, the color coding might not neccessarily mean which banks work together on this mobo.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 04:14:04 PM »
Without actually knowing which mem slots you're supposed to be using on your mobo it could be a crap shoot of either a bad slot, which could happen but not likely. More likely would be a bad stick of memory. You might be randomly sticking the good stick into a good slot and it'll work. Just not as well as it could. I'd still try looking up the right pair of slots and put them back in there and see if it boots up ok. Could have been dust bunnies too.

Have you made any changes in your bios? Even something silly?

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 08:10:13 AM »
Without actually knowing which mem slots you're supposed to be using on your mobo it could be a crap shoot of either a bad slot, which could happen but not likely. More likely would be a bad stick of memory. You might be randomly sticking the good stick into a good slot and it'll work. Just not as well as it could. I'd still try looking up the right pair of slots and put them back in there and see if it boots up ok. Could have been dust bunnies too.

Have you made any changes in your bios? Even something silly?

I dont think ive changed bios at all over the years.  Ill look up the correct slots of memory, and maybe throw a few new ones in, they are cheap enough.

Im having no issues with chrome now, and the game runs good. :banana: