Author Topic: Internet issues NOT realated to your provider or computer.  (Read 445 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Internet issues NOT realated to your provider or computer.
« on: September 24, 2020, 01:31:43 PM »
Came across this Steve Lehto video on YouTube regarding someones old tv causing a whole town to loose their internet.
I'll just post the link as when I try to embed it, it never works correctly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFoVxPJ4X6U

Off topic but he has loads of great videos on a wide variety of topics but most are not internet or gaming related. He is a lemon law lawyer in Michigan and has written books on Chrysler wing cars, and the Chrysler turbine car, murder houses in the USofA, among others.

Can you spot the $100 bill on his set?
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Internet issues NOT realated to your provider or computer.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 01:37:16 PM »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 06:57:33 AM »
18 months?

Talk about the 3 stooges cable company...

As a cable tech in the 80s I had a female customer complained for about 2 weeks her cable would go off every night when she went to watch dirty dancing on hbo..but it worked perfectly the next day when the tech showed up.

Turned out to be a loose seizure screw on the tap before the line extender amp that was loose enough that the contraction caused by the dropping temperature when the sunset backed the screw out which killed the 60 volts ac that powered her amp. It was aerial plant, front easement.

Being the only subscriber as active past that amp, it did not report as a street outage.

This was before two way in this cable sustem so locating such defects was trickier but possible if you spent the time with the customer and actually cared. I ended up giving her my beeper number to catch it.

Can't imagine an outage that large going on that long in this day and age unless it is some dated 300 mhz mom and pop ran outfit...or government/state run.

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 07:35:45 PM »
Looks like DSL gear, which would indicate they hadn't properly isolated the power on the exchange (likely no UPS backup or power conditioning).