Author Topic: F4U-1A Lt. (jg) Douglas Gutenknust VF-17  (Read 544 times)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
F4U-1A Lt. (jg) Douglas Gutenknust VF-17
« on: September 26, 2020, 07:41:45 PM »
When I mentioned to the squad i was going to try and start skinning USN planes this was the first request from Sik1.

Piva Yolk, Bougainville - January 1944

Doug Gutenknust fell one kill short of being an Ace in a squad that produced 13 and was the highest scoring Navy Corsair squad. He scored his 4 kills all in January 1944, 2 Zekes on the 26th and 2 on the 28th. Being the longtime wingman of VF-17 Ace and Lt. Cdr. Tom Blackburn maybe took away from an opportunity or two. On January 30th 1944 started as a normal day, flying cover for a B25 mission to Tobera which turned out to be an uneventful mission and done before lunch. So much so Doug and Blackburn went to a beach nearby to relax for the rest of the day. The normal sounds of engine tests and fire from the front lines was drowned out by the unmistakable sound of high horsepower engines taking off. Not just F4U's from one field but from bases at Piva Yoke and Torokina while Turkeys, their name for TBF's, were climbing out of Piva Uncle and forming up above them. Neither of them knew of a afternoon flight and without many words were running back to the field. By the time they got there 17 VF-17 pilots had already been briefed and scrambled in any plane they could get in. Reports at 15:00 of a Japanese carrier nearby came in and was headed straight to Rabaul.

When Doug and Blackburn got in the air they joined 40 USN and Marine Corsairs  and 20 plus TBF and SBD's, only problem was nobody could spot this carrier. The mission diverted on to Simpson Harbor, New Britain and hit anything they could find. The bombers made their run and all made it out as usual with a VF-17 mission even with some aggressive Japanese fighters from 2,000-20,000ft and moderate ground and warship AA. The day and evening was anything but smooth for VF-17 themselves despite racking up 11 kills and 7 probables.

Ira Kepford took a big hit to his right wing and ammo canisters exploded, cut the hydraulics to the that sides gear. He managed to get back home but the plane was written off. Ray Beacham had 6 inches of gas in his cockpit after taking hits and choose to water land it and was rescued with a broken nose despite being strapped in tight. He didn't remember the landing or getting out. Wilbert Bead Popps who was flying Davenports #9 turn to land came, it was dark by now and wasn't alerted he had a flat and his plane cartwheeled. The only injury in that accident was a "Navy enlisted man in a jeep", he flipped it backing up to avoid being hit and broke his arm. Piva Yolk was now a mess with crashes every where and planes circling to land any where they could.

At this point Doug and Blackburn were diverted to the Marine field at Piva Uncle, Blackburn landed and looked back to make sure he could safely exit the runway and a saw a ball of fire. Doug had made a regular turning approach when Marine Corps Major Johnson collided with him in mid air killing both. Major Johnson was severely wounded and had no radio or hydraulics, made a straight approach. Blackburn never considered Doug a subordinate, he was his colleague in combat and considered him his little brother that he spent days at the beach with. The lose of Doug crushed Blackburn and had a hard time emotionally with the loses coming in the 2nd tour.

Walter Schub would later recount his flight was over the reported area of the carrier sighting:
"Me and Tom Killefer went up over Rabaul. I saw nothing down there except a rusty old tanker and some miscellaneous stuff. I was yelling my head off back to them down there and they got the information by radio. I said There's nothing up there. Not a thing! Not a thing!

Then an hour later they took off with all these planes. We lost Gutenkunst and had a real bad day. The flight lost 8-10 people (whole mission not VF-17). Wasted all these people and planes on that mission".

dg2 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr

dg1 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr
Doug Gutenkunst (Left) and Bob Hogan (Right) outside Hog Hollow, Ondongo, in November 1943

dg3 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr

image7 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr
Windy Hill in No2

Since I believe that the red insignia was panted over on this one I showed it coming through the blue. I've only been able to come across word that one plane in the squad had the red insignia for sure and the was the No3.

DG2 2 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr

DG2 1 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr

DG2 3 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:25:46 PM by whiteman »

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: F4U-1A Lt. (jg) Douglas Gutenknust VF-17
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 08:03:02 PM »
Well done.

Since I first read Tom Blackburn's book, the death of Doug Gutenknust always stuck out to me as the most tragic loss VF-17 suffered.

Nice tribute.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 08:17:41 PM »
All your Corsairs are absolutely amazing. Great work!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 09:00:54 PM »
 :aok

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 09:07:05 PM »
Well done.

Since I first read Tom Blackburn's book, the death of Doug Gutenknust always stuck out to me as the most tragic loss VF-17 suffered.

Nice tribute.

I didn’t know the pilots until reading the book, you get attached to certain guys while reading. Him and the loss of Teeth Burriss the next day felt like a gut punch.

All your Corsairs are absolutely amazing. Great work!

Thank you sir!

:aok

:salute

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 09:21:28 PM »
Nice skin, interesting story
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 02:03:33 AM »
Great looking skin Whiteman and a good write up too.

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 04:43:55 AM »
Well done. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 06:49:56 AM »
Nice work and story.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 09:25:29 PM »
Beautiful skin, Whiteman.  Terrible tragedy about the pilot.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 11:45:25 PM »
 :aok :) :cheers: