Author Topic: Key Reason why ENY is stupid  (Read 20912 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Key Reason why ENY is stupid
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2020, 04:32:15 PM »
Define 'here.'  :headscratch:

Dont be obtuse, he means in AH and you know it.

Yeah, if ENY counts all players and not those in "in flight", it needs to be changed, that or an auto-kick feature put in.  City of Heroes eventually put into place an auto-kick feature, that would warn you 15m prior to auto-kick, and if I recall correctly, gave a countdown at 1m till auto-kick.

Hitech said....I think.... that players could use thatto lock out planes. Everyone is sitting in the tower (and so dont count toward ENY) BOOM they all launch and you now have an ENY of 29. With some low numbers you could see a few players switching side to do just that.

Impractical. Try again.  :old:

Air Warrior had it set that way. If you didnt have input to the game you would get a warning pop up box "Are you still playing?" if you didnt click the "yes" box in 5 minutes it booted you.

They used it to allow more players to play the game because space was limited and only a certain number of players could be in the arena at a time. They booted inactive players to make room for new players to come in.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2020, 04:32:37 PM »
Define 'here.'  :headscratch:

Aces high.  Every time I've seen autoboot brought up, there's been a decent sized portion of the people on the BB that freak because apparently logging back into a game after you've walked away from it is an arduous ordeal up with which they will not put.

How is that impractical? You move your machine-gun, turret, or any input.<<<< clarification

Yup.  And the people who are using it to get their precious, precious win the war perks overnight will use a scripting program like autohotkey, or have an axis that's just a tad out of calibration so their turret just spins when they go into the tank/field gun.  Just examples, likely a few other ways they could do it.  The point is it would be trivial to overcome if someone wanted to do it.  It would deal with the people that accidentally stay logged in, but I'm pretty confident they're the vast minority of people who stay logged in for days.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2020, 04:34:38 PM »
'Here' could mean this thread.

Air Warrior had it set that way. If you didnt have input to the game you would get a warning pop up box "Are you still playing?" if you didnt click the "yes" box in 5 minutes it booted you.

They used it to allow more players to play the game because space was limited and only a certain number of players could be in the arena at a time. They booted inactive players to make room for new players to come in.

I don't ever remember that feature in AWIII.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2020, 06:12:19 PM »
The "here" you referenced can only be defined as AH the game ... in the context of this thread it makes no sense to think it as any other place... ENY isn't affected by lurkers waiting to pounce on a message board ....not exactly where this thread started but is where this thread has gone... argue for arguments sake much?.... at least make it good with a possibility of plausible if you are planning on it...
I don't know any tanker that wouldn't make some kind on movement after even 15 minutes..If they do then they have set up the dumbest spawn camp...unless of course they have been called away by ack to do dishes...or they fell asleep..(then they deserve to be booted hahaha).. or...maybe it is just that....they are not there..even if you are there and for some strange reason you want to sit in isolation with nothing to do, if you don't see a prompt and wiggle the stick... then you must have something more important to do...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 08:56:00 PM by SPKmes »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2020, 06:19:10 PM »
Some online servers in IL2 will boot you after a certain period of inactivity. You'll get a warning first then it'll kick ya after a bit. Don't see why that'd be a problem.

The last few weeks when I've logged in after FSO I couldn't get into a P-38L for most of the night. It's my usual ride but I just slummed in the J. Heck I just wanted to check out Oboe's new 80th skin for the L! This past week I got bumped all the way to the G and actually had a few good runs in it. So personally it's not the end of the world. There's always some model of lightning to fly! If I couldn't get into even a G somethings REALLY hosed!

That said I think it oughta cut off or change whatever factors it uses once numbers drop below a certain point. I get the intent of balance but if there's only a couple of dozen in the arena what's the point really?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2020, 07:51:09 PM »
'Here' could mean this thread.

I don't ever remember that feature in AWIII.

He may be confusing AOHELL's inactive warning that would sometimes pop up a window in AW.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2020, 08:04:30 PM »
He may be confusing AOHELL's inactive warning that would sometimes pop up a window in AW.

Ah, ok.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2020, 09:18:46 PM »
if the time to switch sides is reduced too much, people will use it to spy.

So what?

Makes it harder to sneak an undefended base?

Good.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2020, 11:05:27 PM »
Exactly..... some people would rather suffer than just even teams.

Again that would be great and all, if they actually gave us the tools to even the sides. Which is what I have been griping about since at least 2011!

If you switch you cannot switch back when NMY normalized, or to many people move and NMY hits your new country too, well then you are just simply screwed!

ENY should be tied to a persons score...the better they are the more restricted their choices.

UMM No problem My score is always low I don't do Buffs, GVs, and I never score my runs under attack. Its fighters all the way for me. Same with achievements ... I don't chase them and couldn't give a spit about them .... I personally think HT should of invested the time and resources he put into achievements and scoring into something more important like fixing the dated 1999 graphics and re-used code.

And it's not a good idea to insult the system in use if you really want to change it.

Why? I would think my money would be more important than my insults - last time this crap chapped my arse I left the game for at least 8 years. That was $1440 I saved and HTC didn't get becuase I went on to something else. My new hotas rig didn't cost that much and It's one of the most expensive you can get. So leaving AH payed for my virpil Gear. Leave for a few months and I can afford that F-14 in DCS or Maybe the upcoming F4U :D

I come here for two reasons ... to play with friends and fly corsairs .... Most of my friends have left the game and NMY is really fraking up my ability to fly a corsair.

if the time to switch sides is reduced too much, people will use it to spy.

The only people who really worry about this live in their parents garage. If I want to spy I can bust out a shade account, Go check out peoples live streams or just ask a friend to send me a screen shot of the map and stats. I also have no problems cross country chatting in teamspeak Mumble Ventrillo zoom facebook messanger .....

God I trolled the heck outa vNUCKS and some of the Vtards on this almost a decade ago. I should post the PMs I got on it :D good times!

If they do not move for a given time.... boot.

You can be riding a horse in RDR2 but be in cinematic view. You do not have to touch controls as it follows the intended trail. If you do that too long, it warns you after a bit that you have 13 minutes with no input before it logs you.

Of course everything has a weakness. There you can circumvent by opening a catalog. It will not kick you if it thinks you might spend gold.

That requires new code to be put into the game and would only solve part of the problem. Side Change resistriction is an Areana setting that is already present in the game. There are solutions to the problem that does not require HT to write new code.

Which Air Warrior? I remember having an idle timer on AW in AOL but that was to keep people from idling in the game on AOL which had just gone flat rate. I never noticed it in Gamestorm in either AWClassic or AWIII and as employee I was required to sit in and monitor the game for hours at a time.

In short do you want to the arena numbers to continue to decline?

Do you want to keep loosing paying players?

This game has an awful lot of things that needs to be fixed. NMY is broken and Drives players to leave the arena and in many case the game as a whole. It IS ONE OF THE EASIEST PROBLEMS TO FIX! It's as simple as an arena setting NO NEW CODE NEEDED!

Yet I'm willing to bet it will stay the same till the day the plug gets pulled on the game, which honestly doesn't look to be to far off in the future.

:salute

I'm out! Bingo Ammo, Bingo Fuel, I'm RTB ....
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:37:53 PM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2020, 11:06:25 PM »
Then 'If they do not move for a given time ... boot' is ... impractical.

You are not understanding. They have to do some input.... move the gun, turret, release supplies or something. If no control input for a certain amount of time.....
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2020, 11:18:30 PM »
You are not understanding. They have to do some input.... move the gun, turret, release supplies or something. If no control input for a certain amount of time.....

for some reason my gvs turret had a tendency to spin around. wouldn't be that hard to not get kicked out.  aim your tank at a tree, it bounced a few inches moves forward, bounces...

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2020, 04:24:13 AM »
All it requires is input from the user. If no control input then boot. This is how ROCKSTAR deals with it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2020, 06:03:40 AM »
We as players and customers have a unique relationship with the owner/publisher/creator of this game, and last I heard that person, HiTech, was pretty much doing everything himself these days since the whole Rona thing hit and he has a regular life outside business which he may have more than one of ......

So before we all pull out our pencils and poke each others eyes out or rage quit ...... Has any one emailed support explaining (Civilly) the problem and ask for HiTech to look into it?

I mean no one has checked up on the guy in a bit and he may not have the time to check out our whine fest on the boards, we all would look pretty silly if he has no clue any of us think it's a problem.

TC keeps telling me every time I want to go on a raging rant "Have you e-mailed Support/HiTech?"

To be honest and before I make a complete arse of myself I have only contacted HTC twice in the last 6 months myself once over my Handle and once over another title and HiTech responded to both fairly fast. I myself HAVE NOT emailed support over the NMY issue ..... Has anyone else? (This is the first time I touched on the subject on the forums since 2011 and that I think was more over side changing ... It's till kind of a raw subject)

That's my public service announcement .... I'm checking back out of this debate/argument/brawl :D  :salute

(Edit: I find the subject matter frustrating and I do honestly like flying with and against many of you who I disagree with on this subject so I really don't want to write something stoopid out of frustration that I know I'm going to regret. Sides .... some of you know where I live :p )
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 06:29:52 AM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2020, 06:30:23 AM »
With the low players numbers the sides should be reduced from 3 to 2 with auto assign to keep the sides even.

Then no need for ENY as both sides are always even and all planes and gv are available all the time.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2020, 09:39:26 AM »
I was emailing back and forth with Dale a few days ago about an issue with downloading. He is alive and well if you want to email him.
80th FS "Headhunters"