Author Topic: College football 2020  (Read 27937 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: College football 2020
« Reply #405 on: January 01, 2022, 05:17:11 PM »
I haven't had a chance to start in on Brooke and the B10 yet.

:cry  Alas, my beloved Wolverines.  :cry  But hey, they outscored Georgia in the 2nd half!  So -- we half beat them, right?  ;)  (We don't need to talk about the 1st half.  1st halves are so . . . pre-halftime that they barely deserve consideration.)

Penn State and Iowa also lost.  And Rutgers.  Purdue, Mich State, Maryland, and Wisconsin won.

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #406 on: January 01, 2022, 08:39:37 PM »
:cry  Alas, my beloved Wolverines.  :cry  But hey, they outscored Georgia in the 2nd half!  So -- we half beat them, right?  ;)  (We don't need to talk about the 1st half.  1st halves are so . . . pre-halftime that they barely deserve consideration.)

I've also never understood why there are not eight quarters in a football game. 
“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #407 on: January 01, 2022, 09:22:52 PM »
I've also never understood why there are not eight quarters in a football game.

Probably because:

quar·ter
/ˈkwôrdər/

noun

each of four equal or corresponding parts into which something is or can be divided.
"she cut each apple into quarters"

verb

divide into four equal or corresponding parts.
"peel and quarter the bananas"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #408 on: January 01, 2022, 09:35:38 PM »
What was Nick supposed to say?  I'm pretty sure he and Kirby are just happy to have put the formality games behind them so they can once again concentrate on big boy football.  I know this sounds harsh, but Cincinnati exceeding their own expectations does not make them playoff material.  Maybe in an eight team playoff.  Maybe.
Hopefully this is the year they (the CFP committee) will learn their lesson after failing twice with Notre Dame in the past. Surprisingly the Bama Cincy game was better than Georgia Michigan.

I'm not opposed to an expansion in general, but it won't accomplish a whole lot other than make the NCAA more money. If you went from 4 to 8, you'd have Alabama playing Ole Miss. While I think any of the top 15 teams would've been a better inclusion than Cincy, the result will still be the same. It's a lot different with Basketball because the gap between great and average teams is much smaller.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #409 on: January 01, 2022, 10:15:34 PM »
Probably because:

quar·ter
/ˈkwôrdər/

noun

each of four equal or corresponding parts into which something is or can be divided.
"she cut each apple into quarters"

verb

divide into four equal or corresponding parts.
"peel and quarter the bananas"

Now we have the answer ...

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #410 on: January 01, 2022, 10:20:22 PM »
Now we have the answer ...

As easy as apples and bananas.  :D

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #411 on: January 01, 2022, 10:27:07 PM »
Hopefully this is the year they (the CFP committee) will learn their lesson after failing twice with Notre Dame in the past. Surprisingly the Bama Cincy game was better than Georgia Michigan.

I'm not opposed to an expansion in general, but it won't accomplish a whole lot other than make the NCAA more money. If you went from 4 to 8, you'd have Alabama playing Ole Miss. While I think any of the top 15 teams would've been a better inclusion than Cincy, the result will still be the same. It's a lot different with Basketball because the gap between great and average teams is much smaller.

And I thought I was being a little harsh on Cincinnati.  As for basketball, it's the 3 pointer.  Take away the 3 pt. shot and there would be much less parity.  Same could be said for Nascar if not for restrictor plates.  We could probably think of more examples.  But, the fans/sponsors/advertisers ultimately call the shots.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 11:14:56 PM by RUSH1 »

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #412 on: January 03, 2022, 08:12:35 AM »
I get your POV Rush. I appreciate that. I understand people hate NFL, but ngl.... After the Reds choked a chance for a playoff push, the (NHL) Columbus Blue Jackets are in a new rebuild again. The NFL is really the only thing I could keep a good eye on, because of years of issues with Mike Brown being a cheap owner, and with some of the free agent signings, the Bengals/Bungals (I admit they had terrible years, and one and done wild card games under Marvin Lewis, and Zac Taylor still needs to relay on his Offense Coordinator more than him making the calls.) This year, they may have an honest chance, but have to face the Chiefs tomorrow to hopefully clinch the North.

You will always have the Big Red Machine though.     

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
« Reply #413 on: January 03, 2022, 08:13:46 AM »
Also 1990 as well. And the Bengals won yesterday and are AFC North Champs so I am happy.
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #414 on: January 03, 2022, 08:20:26 AM »
Mano has been awful quiet lately.  No pictures of elephants or anything.  Maybe he's a little nervous about the rematch?   

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #415 on: January 03, 2022, 08:26:23 AM »
Also 1990 as well. And the Bengals won yesterday and are AFC North Champs so I am happy.

A little before your time I think, but you guys had a pretty good defensive back in the 70's and early 80's by the name of Ken Riley.  We're from the same town and I was classmates with his son during that time. 

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #416 on: January 03, 2022, 08:26:34 AM »
And I thought I was being a little harsh on Cincinnati.
Meh. It's no disrespect to the program, just the truth. You want someone besides Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, (used to be) Clemson in it every single year. But if you want the true 4 best teams, no team from the "AAC" is it, and realistically no Pac-12 on average either.

The committee has this fascination with these Cinderella teams and it just doesn't work like Basketball does. Point values aside, in basketball you have 5 or 6 people that might be better than the other 5 or 6 as opposed to an entire 53 man roster where even the 3rd stringers are better than their 1st stringers.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
« Reply #417 on: January 03, 2022, 09:36:08 AM »
A little before your time I think, but you guys had a pretty good defensive back in the 70's and early 80's by the name of Ken Riley.  We're from the same town and I was classmates with his son during that time.

My mom worked the Freezer Bowl, and does remember Ken Riley. I just hope this could be the year we finally don't have a 1 and done like the years with the Lewis era.
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #418 on: January 04, 2022, 04:42:12 PM »

Not nervous !

:salute

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #419 on: January 04, 2022, 05:42:48 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Not nervous !

:salute

Maybe, but I think that elephant plays on Georgia's dline.