Author Topic: F4U-2 VMF(N)-532 no.212 "Midnite Cocktail"  (Read 990 times)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
F4U-2 VMF(N)-532 no.212 "Midnite Cocktail"
« on: October 24, 2020, 04:04:24 AM »
2nd post has more info on F4U-2 and paint schemes. I simplified it and it was still a lot so I just split it so people can look at the plane and then read that if they want.

This plane was assigned to 1Lt. Charles Canif and Lt. Bruce Reuter, but was also flown by Capt Howard Boilman who scored a kill of a Betty on April 14, 1944. Strange enough the Kill flag on the nose represents his first kill, a A6m while with VMF-112. They operated under MAG-31, 4th Marine Base Defense Air Wing on Ella Island, Tarawa Atoll in the Gilbert Islands from January 14 to February 15, 1944. Upon arrival the Marines stationed there were relieved to see the night fighters, the Japanese had been carrying out small nuance raids on the island. Working with Ground Controllers they had lots of close intercepts but never made contact.

Their Next stop in February 44 was Roi on Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands, Major Everett Vaughn (no.201 "Shirley June") was the first to land thus became the first fighter pilot to land on Japanese mandated territory. There they linked up with Air Warning Squadron One (AWS-1) who had more advanced ground control equipment to help vector to Japaneses night raiders that had become a major problem at Roi. The squad found success on April 14 with 2 Betty kills and 1 probable, these would be the squads only kills of the war. Further action would be night raids on Wotje in the Marshall Islands and night patrols from Saipan and Guam before transferring back home in October 44.

Their biggest contribution was setting the path for future night fighter squadrons and night operations along with helping the development of the F6F-5N and Wildcat night fighters.

mnc. 001 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr
Shirley-June-201 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr

msu2 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr

msu1 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr

msu3 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr

msu4 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Re: F4U-2 VMF(N)-532 no.212 "Midnite Cocktail"
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 04:05:22 AM »
The F4U-2 was a early model F4U-1 and modified for the night fighter role. Besides the obvious radome on the starboard wing it also had 1 of the guns removed on that side to even the weight. AIA type radar was installed along with a Very High Frequency (VHF) radio and a instrument panel specific for night fighting. Since these were early F4U-1s they had all the problems as well, oil leaks, bouncy landing gear and bad visibility over the nose. Most of these were fixed after being received, middle cowl flaps deleted and a taller rear landing gear. Navy squad VF(N)-101 was the only one to operate from CV's and had to deal with the bouncy gear.

When it comes to the scheme of F4U-2's there's plenty of speculation and guessing, mainly because there were 34 originally built and almost all came off the line in ANA Sea Gray over ANA Light Aircraft Gray. They were all repainted to the familiar tri-color scheme at the depot level where it was up to the skill of the painter and the technique used. The only exceptions are 2 conversions of -1A's done in the pacific theater, the very last -2's that came off in the correct scheme and the very first prototype. Add to that that USN -2's were repainted in a non standard scheme. So two looking alike is highly unlikely. To make it more confusing the tri-color scheme is actually a 4 color scheme, the top of the wing surfaces should be Sea Blue Semi Gloss. There different ways to achieve the proper look, which of course didn't require using all 4 colors.

Looking at VMF(N)-532's planes and profiles it looks like they had a variation of each of these except for example 1.

1. non-specular Blue 60 degrees above horizontal, mottle it to 30 degrees below horizontal, non-spec white below that. Very difficult and rare.
2. non-spec Blue 60 degrees above horizontal and mottle to Intermediate Blue and mottle that in white. Early Manufacture and Depot level, My VMF-225 skin
3. non-spec Blue and mottle it to white at the 30 degree mark. Easy modification of 1, very little blending and may use IM Blue for blend.
4. The recognizable "Tri-Color" Norfolk scheme. Below.

Blue Gray over Light Gray vs Norfolk Scheme

Read though lots of pages of people confusing the Non Spec Blue as a black just because it was a "Night Fighter". The Pics of the USN -2's cause most this issue as they painted the sides Semi Gloss Sea Blue which is darker than the non-spec version.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 04:34:49 AM »
2nd post has more info on F4U-2 and paint schemes. I simplified it and it was still a lot so I just split it so people can look at the plane and then read that if they want.

This plane was assigned to 1Lt. Charles Canif and Lt. Bruce Reuter, but was also flown by Capt Howard Boilman who scored a kill of a Betty on April 14, 1944. Strange enough the Kill flag on the nose represents his first kill, a A6m while with VMF-112. They operated under MAG-31, 4th Marine Base Defense Air Wing on Ella Island, Tarawa Atoll in the Gilbert Islands from January 14 to February 15, 1944. Upon arrival the Marines stationed there were relieved to see the night fighters, the Japanese had been carrying out small nuance raids on the island. Working with Ground Controllers they had lots of close intercepts but never made contact.

Their Next stop in February 44 was Roi on Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands, Major Everett Vaughn (no.201 "Shirley June") was the first to land thus became the first fighter pilot to land on Japanese mandated territory. There they linked up with Air Warning Squadron One (AWS-1) who had more advanced ground control equipment to help vector to Japaneses night raiders that had become a major problem at Roi. The squad found success on April 14 with 2 Betty kills and 1 probable, these would be the squads only kills of the war. Further action would be night raids on Wotje in the Marshall Islands and night patrols from Saipan and Guam before transferring back home in October 44.

Their biggest contribution was setting the path for future night fighter squadrons and night operations along with helping the development of the F6F-5N and Wildcat night fighters.

(Image removed from quote.)
mnc. 001 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr
Shirley-June-201 by whitemanLS1, on Flickr

:aok

Have another image of this plane the others you have but these maybe better quality for your files.

Plenty of profiles.

Also the other plane "Shirly June" with an emblem on the nose.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 04:53:30 AM by lyric1 »

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 04:39:38 AM »
Thanks Lyric!! I haven’t seen any other plane with the nose art, nice find!

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 06:56:14 AM »
Another great skin Whiteman, really nice work.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 07:16:20 AM »
Beautiful!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 08:25:02 AM »
very cool/
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 11:58:51 AM »
Nicely done.  Glad to see those meatheads got the doors on right.   :rofl
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 02:03:07 PM »
Absolutely amazing work Whiteman! You can really tell how much work and effort you put into your skins! Keep up the great work! <S>
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 04:25:17 PM »
Thanks guys, I did the chipping and weathering on this one three times. For some reason this one had a mental block and nothing looked right to me.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 04:36:27 PM »
Thanks guys, I did the chipping and weathering on this one three times. For some reason this one had a mental block and nothing looked right to me.

That's what I was talking about in my G-14 thread. Sometimes everything you make comes out like trash and needs to be redone.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com