Author Topic: Prescription Lenses  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Prescription Lenses
« on: October 24, 2020, 11:47:10 AM »
In a previous post, there was discussion about prescription VR lenses for those who wear glasses.  I wear cheaters only for reading and things up close.  Has anyone in the “cheater” glasses category ordered VR lenses for that purpose.  If so, how does it work for you? 

I love the VR headset but, the slight lack of visual clarity compared to my monitor causes eye fatigue after extended use.  Just curious if it’s worth the money to get “cheater” lenses for the VR headset.  Thanks!  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Prescription Lenses
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 11:48:14 AM »
Do glasses not fit under them there goggles?  :confused:

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 11:57:48 AM »
In a previous post, there was discussion about prescription VR lenses for those who wear glasses.  I wear cheaters only for reading and things up close.  Has anyone in the “cheater” glasses category ordered VR lenses for that purpose.  If so, how does it work for you? 

I love the VR headset but, the slight lack of visual clarity compared to my monitor causes eye fatigue after extended use.  Just curious if it’s worth the money to get “cheater” lenses for the VR headset.  Thanks!  :salute

I think its your distance prescription that is used in formulating the VR lense inserts, not your close vision.   I have the lense inserts for my Reverb, and I still experience eye strain after a while.  While the lenses improved image clarity, I suspect at least some of my eye strain is caused by the bright screens so close to my eyes and the heat generated by the headset itself.

You could try wearing your cheater glasses in the headset, briefly and very carefully, to see if it makes a difference in clarity.  I also recommend protecting your headset's lenses with clear plastic wrap for the test.  That shouldn't impact visual quality too much; and you could still compare the image with and without your cheater glasses.    Before I my lense inserts arrived, I left the blue plastic film on the lenses while wearing my eyeglasses in the headset.    It did hurt clarity but I wanted to be sure to keep my lenses scratch-free.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 12:35:52 PM »
Do glasses not fit under them there goggles?  :confused:

I remember several saying that wearing glasses under the hood caused scratches on the lenses.  But, I’ve not tried it so far.

Offline AlbertSk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 12:50:54 PM »
From the order page of a VR script lens site.
Tell us, Your far distance prescription (and not your reading or PC prescription).

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 02:20:01 PM »
From the order page of a VR script lens site.
Tell us, Your far distance prescription (and not your reading or PC prescription).

Got a link?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 03:49:43 PM »
Puma I got mine from here: https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/

I think you might have some closer options now.

With glasses you've kinda got to get the glasses sweet spot right with the VR sweet sport. And even then when I use my Quest with glasses it feels awkward compared to the Rift CV1 with lense.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 03:54:42 PM »
I remember several saying that wearing glasses under the hood caused scratches on the lenses.  But, I’ve not tried it so far.
Scratches....That is an understatement :uhoh Didnt even know they were touching..     

Yes, you will need "Distance" Prescription and "IPD" Inter Pupillary Distance
I also go mine from link Vulcan posted, for both CV1 and RiftS ,no problems at all :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline finnster

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 10:20:40 PM »
This is also a good site to check for prescription lenses and other products VR related.
https://www.vrmust.com/collections/all/oculus
cheers

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 03:46:03 AM »
Scratches....That is an understatement :uhoh Didnt even know they were touching..     

Yes, you will need "Distance" Prescription and "IPD" Inter Pupillary Distance
I also go mine from link Vulcan posted, for both CV1 and RiftS ,no problems at all :salute

The IPD should be listed in your optics prescription. I just went to my optometrist, told that I was getting custom VR lenses and they gave me a copy, no charge.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 09:30:01 AM »
The IPD should be listed in your optics prescription. I just went to my optometrist, told that I was getting custom VR lenses and they gave me a copy, no charge.
This exactly. Mine work perfectly, no chance of scratching anything. They just pop on and off. I don't need them if I'm wearing my contacts.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 04:16:07 PM »

Cheater lenses won't help. Nothing will make your VR headset look like a contemporary monitor. Best idea for improved vision is visiting your eye doctor.

Check your FPS, low FPS will increase VR fatigue.  Adjust visual settings to maintain max FPS of your headset.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 08:50:08 PM »
FPS?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 08:50:54 PM »

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 09:19:18 PM »
Frames Per Second

Thanks!  Thought it might be some ocular/VR term I hadn’t heard before.  In game FPS, I’m familiar with.