Author Topic: VKB MCG stick: Initial impressions & setup questions  (Read 4205 times)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
VKB MCG stick: Initial impressions & setup questions
« on: October 24, 2020, 12:46:44 PM »
Overall I'm very impressed with the quality of this stick, but it comes with almost no documentation, and I'm finding it frustrating and time-consuming to set it up.  That being said, I'm confident that I'll be quite happy with it once I work through setup.  The stick comes with a generic 1 page manual, about all I got out of it was not to  force connections into the wrong port prior to powering up the stick.  On the VKB forums I found something that the color of the LEDs on the “black box” may convey some meaning....but nothing specific or meaningful information yet .  Also, on their website specific instructions for the importance of an initial calibration procedure for an earlier version of this stick, but nothing that seems to fit for this stick (MCG Mark III).   It would also be nice if VKB included a bit about their different cam and spring options, including how their installed springs compare with the supplied extras.

As Mayhem explained in excellent detail in a recent thread, I've been very impressed in the little offline flying I've done, the stick seems much smoother and precise compared to previous sticks I've used (Microsoft sidewinder, CH Combatstick, & CH Fghterstick USB ).

Initially at least, I am trying to setup this stick in Aces High, without use of the VKB software; that may come later.  I found a diagram of the MCG on VKB's website, complete with button numbers to correspond with their software.  Unfortunately when I go to the AH controller mapping, the numbering is often different.  The VKB diagram shows buttons 1 through 31.  The AH controller mapping shows in excess of 100 buttons and many axes, so this leads to a lot of trial and error.  At this point I think I've made enough progress to use the stick, except that I need to setup a few rear views to help use my Rift on my old stiff neck.

Now for the questions:

1. I really like the dual trigger setup on this. I use the flip trigger as secondary, and the flip function as a secondary weapon selector.  I also like the idea of the 2 stage main trigger, and would like to set it up as primary fire, then fire all, but can't seem to set it up as a 2-stage in Aces High.  Any ideas?
2. I need to tinker with the view setup more on the hats, but any quick tips anyone has would be appreciated.
3. Does anyone know if you can use the AH controller setup for some functions, and use the VKB software for others, or is it just an either/or option.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts & help!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 01:25:50 PM by DaddyAce »

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: VKB MCG stick: Initial impressions & setup questions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 01:02:48 PM »
I don't have the VKB, but I do use the dual trigger function on my Virpil stick.  The two stages should show up as two different button numbers ie #1, and #2, once you identify the button number just assign the function that you want to that button.

Hope that helps.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 02:17:40 PM »
...The two stages should show up as two different button numbers ie #1, and #2, once you identify the button number just assign the function that you want to that button.

Hope that helps.

Sik
Well you got me thinking that since I did have the one button successfully assigned, the second should be close in the list and it was.  So the first trigger switch is AH button 0, and the second is AH button 1.  So triggers set up nicely now.

Thank you Sik!   :salute

-DaddyAce
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 02:19:23 PM by DaddyAce »

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 03:34:14 PM »
They have YouTube videos from VKB that can walk you through everything, documentation would be nice but the videos are pretty easy to follow. I only use the VKB software to calibrate the stick and that's it. I setup all the mapping in Aces High.

For the views I use the upper hat, but also use TrackIR. There’s a button where your pinky is, I use that to look straight up. I’ve done a lot of remapping lately, trying zoom in a couple places.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 04:25:51 PM by whiteman »

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 03:48:30 PM »
One issue I have discovered having the two stage trigger mapped to fire primary, and fire all, is that I have a tendency to only fire the primary weapons. I have to make a conscious effort to pull the trigger all the way back to fire all.

Glad I could help you get the trigger set up.

Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 04:08:18 PM »
Ok if you want documentation its here : 
 https://vkbcontrollers.com/?page_id=4609

Scroll down the page a bit.

The software manual is not easy reading and it's over 100 pages. It's not easy to get the hang of using but you'll figure it out. If you get stuck just ask.

The trigger isn't a switch exactly, it's considered an axis and has to be set in VKBDevconfig. There's a section for it. There's a little two stage trigger switch behind the big one that is an actual two stage switch but I use it for other things.

Yes you can map most everything on AH for the stick. If you want to use macros tho you'll have to do that in the software. For example I have the end flight macro mapped to a button, salvos, radios, etc. The dot commands.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 04:13:32 PM »
One of my favorite functions on the MCG-Pro is the 8-way hat. All the hats have a center press. Long press that one and the hat changes from the 8-way hat to a two axis switch. I use that for elevator and aileron trim. In this mode a short press recenters them. Another long press takes you back to a regular view hat. Very handy.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 04:27:18 PM »
One issue I have discovered having the two stage trigger mapped to fire primary, and fire all, is that I have a tendency to only fire the primary weapons. I have to make a conscious effort to pull the trigger all the way back to fire all.

Glad I could help you get the trigger set up.

Sik

I have the exact problem, you really have to squeeze to get all firing.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 08:39:05 PM »
Thank you for all the suggestions guys.

So far everything  is working great except I cannot get consistent usable views using either the 8-way hat switch or the ministick on the VKB.

I'm still just setting  up the MCG in Aces high, except I did download the VKB software and calibrated the stick, but it didn't seem to help.   When I use the hat for to change the view,  it sometimes works correctly but most often goes to the wrong view, and doesn't return to the front view.  I was suspicious that the VKB switches were not working properly, but they work fine when I go into the VKB Configurator software.   I thought I had a clue when I turned off VR in Aces High, and the VKB views worked temporarily as mapped, but unfortunately that has not held, and with further troubleshooting, I cannot isolate the issue except to somehow to the VKB.  I just swapped out the VKB with my CH Fighterstick, and all worked well.  At the moment my trusty old CH Fighterstick seems preferable as it's simple to setup, and at least for me at the moment and unlike my VKB, the view system integrates seamlessly with Aces High and my Rift.  I must be missing something..... 

Am very frustrated with the VKB at the moment, have half a mind to return it to my son who is considering taking up Microsoft Flight Simulator.  Think I'll watch a movie with my wife tonight and hopefully between the AH community and sleeping on it we'll come up with a better solution.   Hmmm, maybe there's some setting I need to change for the VKB?   :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 11:03:44 PM by DaddyAce »

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 12:27:03 AM »
Make sure you mirror your hat view setup to all 4 AH controller modes. While you're at it, do the same for any persistent button setting you want to keep as universal among the modes i.e. center the VR sight view.

Do this for both the VR config and the video monitor config.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 09:51:39 AM »
Make sure you mirror your hat view setup to all 4 AH controller modes. While you're at it, do the same for any persistent button setting you want to keep as universal among the modes i.e. center the VR sight view.

Do this for both the VR config and the video monitor config.

Thanks for the leads Easy, I'll likely have some time to try this later today.   :salute

Also thinking I should double-check how I've been using the VKB POV hat and also may need to dig into the VKB software more too....

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 02:29:25 PM »
That's the thing about these high end sticks. They're not like what we've ever used before. They're plug and play... but not really. For starters with the VKB, right out of the box you're gonna have to go into VKBDevconfig and default the stick(there's a button for that) and then calibrate it completely. There's a calibration sequence to follow and that includes more than just pitch and roll. It includes the trigger, brake lever, the mini-stick and that 8-way hat. Don't follow that sequence and it's gonna do funny stuff. After you've done that you can apply a profile for whatever game you want but you have to do those steps first.

You shouldn't have to flash the firmware as it'll come with the newest at time of manufacture but they update it often. At least weekly. But if you ever do you'll have to go thru that same setup sequence before applying a profile. I've done this many times and it's really no big deal. Once you've done it a couple of times you get it. Easy.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 03:42:58 PM »
That's the thing about these high end sticks. They're not like what we've ever used before. They're plug and play... but not really. For starters with the VKB, right out of the box you're gonna have to go into VKBDevconfig and default the stick(there's a button for that) and then calibrate it completely. There's a calibration sequence to follow and that includes more than just pitch and roll. It includes the trigger, brake lever, the mini-stick and that 8-way hat. Don't follow that sequence and it's gonna do funny stuff. After you've done that you can apply a profile for whatever game you want but you have to do those steps first.

You shouldn't have to flash the firmware as it'll come with the newest at time of manufacture but they update it often. At least weekly. But if you ever do you'll have to go thru that same setup sequence before applying a profile. I've done this many times and it's really no big deal. Once you've done it a couple of times you get it. Easy.

Hi Drano,

I tried that yesterday too, calibrating following their Youtube.  Although I first tried to calibrate it in Aces High.   I did see instructions on their site for an earlier MCG where it said press 2 buttons first, but did not find similarly labelled buttons on my stick.   Their Configurator software seemed to calibrate the stick, and when I tested the functions in that software they seemed to  work fine.   But thank you for the info; I think it's definitely worth trying to carefully follow their calibration procedure again .     :joystick:

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 09:50:47 PM »
Update....I finally got it to work and play well with my CH controls, Rift & Aces High!   :banana:

I cleaned up all profiles in AH made them consistent as you suggested Easy, and also have been calibrating it, and it seems to have needed it both in the VKB config software and in Aces High.  One thing I enjoyed about my CH stick is that it rarely needed calibration.  I hope this does not need to be calibrated every time I use it.

A couple things I think may have been causing some problems, it seems like some of my mappings were changing, but they seem stable now....and I had the black box not far from an external speaker.

So on my way now, with more tweaking, customizing etc....still a lot to learn about this thing.  Thank you all for your help!    :salute

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 02:36:26 AM »
I only calibrate mine ever couple weeks in the VKB software. I have the longer extension for center mount and I need to tighten it up every so often, otherwise I could probably go longer.