Author Topic: StarLink Beta testing begins  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
StarLink Beta testing begins
« on: October 27, 2020, 03:06:31 PM »

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
Re: StarLink Beta testing begins
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 06:07:42 PM »
So, 1200 a year plus 500 for the hardware. 1700 for the first year........Nope, not worth it.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 06:10:39 PM »
i pay 83 bucks for tv and internet, includes hbo.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 06:12:43 PM »
I don't drink and drive.................

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 06:42:45 PM »
If you want to live out in the country and want to have semi-decent internet, you probably need this, whatever the cost. Obviously if you live in the burbs you probably have better options.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 09:16:47 AM »
If you want to live out in the country and want to have semi-decent internet, you probably need this, whatever the cost. Obviously if you live in the burbs you probably have better options.

Exactly. 

Totally worth it for me. 

I have some rural property out in the  boonies that has poor connectivity.  That limits my ability to stay out there long periods of time because it is harder to work remotely. One of the main issues that will prevent me moving out there permanently someday. 

Having reliable broadband out there would be very much worth $100/month to me.

Elon, shutup and take my money!
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 08:57:38 PM »
If you want to live out in the country and want to have semi-decent internet, you probably need this, ....

That's me too.  I'm taking a hard look, and I suspect it'll be a lot better than weak and over-sold Verizon broadband, which until now, has been my best option.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 11:51:05 PM »
That's me too.  I'm taking a hard look, and I suspect it'll be a lot better than weak and over-sold Verizon broadband, which until now, has been my best option.

You're further up north so you will get it before I will.  If you do, give us a report. ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 09:16:43 AM »
You're further up north so you will get it before I will.  If you do, give us a report. ;)

Oh yes Trips, I got an email offer a couple days ago.  I mostly would like to be clear on what I need to do to install it, and properly locate it, how to expect it'll do with snow & ice, etc before I send them $550, but apparently they don't give me that info until I send them the $, although they do  give you 30 days to return the equipment for a refund if you figure out it won't work at your site.    :salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 10:24:55 AM »
Oh yes Trips, I got an email offer a couple days ago.  I mostly would like to be clear on what I need to do to install it, and properly locate it, how to expect it'll do with snow & ice, etc before I send them $550, but apparently they don't give me that info until I send them the $, although they do  give you 30 days to return the equipment for a refund if you figure out it won't work at your site.    :salute

Kind of suspicious. I would be leary of a company that has no idea how their equipment works.... or will not say.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 10:59:00 AM »
Will rain/ clouds affect signal strength like it does sat tv?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 11:34:26 AM »
Will rain/ clouds affect signal strength like it does sat tv?

Eagler

:aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 03:50:21 PM »
Ku band is susceptible to rain fade, it's well documented. Snow and ice on the dish alters its focal point and degrades performance. (starlink uses Ku band and Ka band which is even worse).

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 01:16:16 PM »
StarLink is never going to work. Rural Iinternet Users will be so unhappy with download and upload speeds because do not measure up to what they currently have with ViaSat or HughesNet.

The lag and latency will not be as good as their current Satellite internet providers and their service will be way over priced. The initial costs of the equipment is way too expensive and it should be free. 

Elon Musk is investing billions into something that is not going to work, period. He really is stupid and cannot be trusted. You can forget internet gaming. That is not going to happen.
Creating an internet backbone up in space is complete nonsense.

You will not be able to watch YouTube or any other video streaming nor participate on Zoom. StarLink is completely worthless. ViaSat and HughesNet are going to immediately remove
their monthly data allotments and go to unlimited downloads. The people in Alaska will not subscribe to StarLink. It is all a waste of time and money and will never work. I am totally against innovation because technological break-throughs cause other companies to go out of business.  I really miss Blockbuster Video. I really enjoyed paying those late fees when
I put the dvd in the box outside instead of going inside and standing in line to return it.......and Rondar misses his corncobs.

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 01:55:28 PM »
Will they remove the blinking satellites if no one subscribes?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals