Author Topic: Les Vin, Les Femmes et Les Chansons  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Les Vin, Les Femmes et Les Chansons
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2020, 10:59:35 AM »
Is this something that Dale needs to be made aware of? What if lighting is corrected and all the skins look green?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2020, 11:15:54 AM »
Is this something that Dale needs to be made aware of? What if lighting is corrected and all the skins look green?

Well, I spoke to him about how the Environment Maps make things look mirrored.   My impression was that the change could be made but it didn't sound like the easiest thing to do.   Lots of work involved.  Then every skin would have to be updated.

So my guess is he'll leave it be and we can just work around it.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2020, 01:30:10 PM »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2020, 02:00:16 AM »

This sort of thing is nothing new, skinners have been working around AH's lighting quirks for ages. For example since AH3 came out we've been making any very light shades on our skins darker and any very dark shades lighter to avoid these areas getting overpowered by the game lighting.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2020, 03:01:26 PM »
It could be just that you weren't looking for it before, Vraciu noticed it on another of my skins a while back.

The original metal colour I used was RGB 122/122/135, so basically a blue tinted medium grey. Even with brown dirt layers on top the metal areas were not shifted towards red when I used a colour picker in Paint Shop Pro. So if your base metal colour also has red and green equally balanced then I'd expect a similar result to mine in the game. The second revision to my metal colour is now RGB 119/125/134, the very slight greenish tint looks a little odd in PSP but it disappears in the game.

Sorry if I misread this post.   I basically restated what you said.  Oops.

Also your explanation on lighting quirks is spot on.   The darker metal has been my biggest challenge, especially since you wind up hurting how it looks in shadow to make it look good gmwdgpdat light.   Balance is tough to find.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)