Author Topic: point value of radar  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Scared

• Zinc Member
point value of radar
« on: November 25, 2020, 03:57:22 PM »
I destroyed 3 radar's and got 600 points when I landed my bomber. Why is something as strategically important as radar worth so little points in the game? :headscratch:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 04:04:18 PM by Scared »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: point value of radar
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 04:07:11 PM »
I destroyed 3 radar's and got 600 points when I landed my bomber. Why is something as strategically important as radar worth so little points in the game? :headscratch:

Dunno. Town's rack `em up, though. I think the best I've done on one sortie was 36,000 or so with a flight of B-17s dropping on 3 or 4 town centers that were unblemished.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 06:10:00 PM »

I betting it is because they are so easy to take down.  They also are not really that critical.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 06:11:36 PM »
The points are based on the damage points necessary to destroy the object.  There are a bunch of other multipliers, but it starts with the damage points done to the object.  Radar and town buildings are 313 lbs, thus 313 points, according to an old list that I have.  I don't know what other multipliers could affect the score.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 07:17:07 PM »

Rader is teh noob to destroy. Go for VHs  ;)
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 08:14:56 PM »
The issue is it is based on math and not strategics.

If you drop a single bomb on a radar tower you get the radar tower. If you drop the same bomb on a town you get the building you hit as well as a number of other buildings around it due to "splash damage", and so more damage points.  Thats why if your looking for points it is better to hit town centers, or at least drop through the "meat" of the town. The strats are too spread apart so you lose damage points due to the spacing. 

Offline Scared

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 08:52:17 PM »
i dunno guys. i just feel like taking out the only radar at a base should be worth more than 200 freakin' points. You can call it newbism or whatever but that single radar is strategically more important than those stupid unoccupied town structures. even if you are saying that radar is not important, for the game it is exponentially more important than some random town building.

Offline Scared

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 08:53:20 PM »
ruminations of a disgruntled buff pilot. LOL

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 09:29:23 PM »
You just have to decide if your going for points or are you going strategic?

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 09:42:35 PM »
Killing dar increases your chance of survival and makes intercepts harder. Thats reason enough to kill it.

Offline Scared

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 10:11:50 PM »
I just feel like if we are going to assign a value to targets then more important targets should be worth more. i like razing civilian buildings too, but surgically striking the enemy radar on the front line should be worth something too.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 10:28:16 PM »
But the strategic value of the radar varies greatly depending on the situation.  I can destroy a radar at a base where nothing is happening, and it may have no strategic value whatsoever.  I can destroy all the guns at a town, and that may have a much higher strategic value than the radar.  There are far too many variables to be able to award points based on strategic value.  Awarding points based on structural damage is simply math.

Aces High is a game that is won by strategy, not score.  Big numbers are fun, but it is strategy that makes the real difference.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Scared

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 08:19:30 AM »
yeah I get ya. I just want to feel good about myself when I take out radar. LOL. makes sense though.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 08:21:32 AM »
yeah I get ya. I just want to feel good about myself when I take out radar. LOL. makes sense though.

If you play by score alone, burnout is in your future. Just enjoy the fight and flight.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 08:42:23 AM »

You should feel good about taking out a radar when you do. I know guys that have been here years and still miss the dar more often than hit it.

You shouldnt need "points" to feel good.