Author Topic: Just an observation  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Just an observation
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2020, 01:27:32 PM »
I play those games too.  I don't buy anything, just keep on grindin'.

Coogan

Grind is what it is about. That is the actual game. I just change servers when the others show up.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2020, 01:34:53 PM »
Grind is what it is about. That is the actual game. I just change servers when the others show up.

Me too.  When I look at other players that are level 250 (or more), I just find another server too.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2020, 02:05:37 PM »
Uh, dunno about Red Dead, but level 250 is not very high in GTAV. It also isn't difficult to make money and buy all the cool toys.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2020, 02:10:53 PM »
Uh, dunno about Red Dead, but level 250 is not very high in GTAV. It also isn't difficult to make money and buy all the cool toys.

Ageed, that is not high for GTA-V.
I was referring to RDR2.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2020, 02:41:59 PM »
I wish we had this all week and weekend. I can never play on Mondays and its one of my favorite things. These kind of fights helped me so much to learn the basics of fighter combat.

It's setup to go right now.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline gflyer

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »
I almost rejoined when the 38 artwork was updated.  I am sure they are very pretty - just not enough of a draw to endure long flights to fight the same Uber rides or tolerate the endless dawn to dusk cycle.  Custom arenas have no persistence, no scoring, and most important - no players.  This is a one arena game 97% of the time.

The game is what it is and I enjoyed it for many many hours over many years.  I'll keep coming back to the boards to see if something pops out as a change worth paying to see. I'm forever hopeful,  I still look at the Warbirds Forums if that tell you anything - can you believe most nights they have 6 players in there still.   I'll let you guess which 6 AH players I think will be the last still flying in an empty arena. 

Anyway, thanks for letting me post as a non-paying player Hitech.  Wishing you all the best going forward.  <S>

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2020, 07:09:44 PM »
I almost rejoined when the 38 artwork was updated.  I am sure they are very pretty - just not enough of a draw to endure long flights to fight the same Uber rides or tolerate the endless dawn to dusk cycle.  Custom arenas have no persistence, no scoring, and most important - no players. 

Scores are kept in the Axis vs Allies Arena.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Litjan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2020, 05:54:00 AM »
Funny - I also keep checking back here even after I quit playing AH months ago. I am now playing some other WW2 flying game which does almost everything better (and I am a total hardcore simmer).

Anyway - HT really has no option but to ride this as far as it would go. The old guys (I am young, only 50) donīt want or canīt adapt to a new game, so they will pay the bills here. Changing the game radically to appeal to the younger crowd will not work - Aces High canīt compete visually to these other games by a long shot. It will never draw young players.

The chance to compete with the new and hungry companies from Russia has come and gone many years ago - get a dozen artists and young talents and do something that appeals to the masses (action, graphics, awesomeness!!) to fund development.

The game I play now is mostly a huge furball with arcade-type shooting...but this funds a small spinoff called "simulator mode" where the fidelity and realism is on par with Aces High (there arenīt even labels for enemy planes!!) where geeks like me can enjoy "enduring confrontation" style combat that lasts a few hours and sports great action (bolstered by use of AI drones where needed). Oh, and I havenīt paid a single cent for it and having a ball, just researched past the 190-D9...

Aces High holds a special place in my heart, I played it since it came out...but it took the wrong turn when "Combat Tour" was cancelled and has been going a one-way dead-end road ever since. The voice of the "old farts" that want everything to stay the same and oppose every change has actually sealed its fate. The only consensus has been "this game needs more airplanes  :frown:" Guess what - it wonīt stay the same by staying the same. It will be gone.

Cheers, Jan

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2020, 06:10:51 AM »
What game is that Jan?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2020, 07:05:44 AM »
What game is that Jan?

Eagler

It must be a new one as the others are a no go.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2020, 08:32:07 AM »
I want the MA to stay the same. I just hope that more maps are being incorporated that relate to today's #s. I think that would help a lot. Base layout is very important. In terms of coding, I wish there was zones or something that could be created to give players an incentive to fight in certain areas.

This was my intention with "Northco", to create obvious paths for base capture that would concentrate action when player numbers are low.  Spawn locations were intended to make base resupply quicker than town resupply to encourage a defensive fight rather than a resupply horde.  Fleets were eliminated to avoid no-fight sneaks.  Strat resupply was made easy to avoid long downtimes that require a lot of base resupply or defensive "hovering".  A central furball area and remote GV fight area were included for quick access to fights.

Not sure how well the design accomplished the intended goals.  Northco has persisted anywhere from a couple of hours to 12 hours.  Some bases are rolled without much of a fight, some are captured and re-captured only after long intense fights.  Some players say they like it, others don't.  I've created two other maps with similar designs and goals  ("Reefs" and "Badlands") and am working on a fourth.  Yes, I do have a lot of time on my hands.   :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2020, 09:00:13 AM »
This was my intention with "Northco", to create obvious paths for base capture that would concentrate action when player numbers are low.  Spawn locations were intended to make base resupply quicker than town resupply to encourage a defensive fight rather than a resupply horde.  Fleets were eliminated to avoid no-fight sneaks.  Strat resupply was made easy to avoid long downtimes that require a lot of base resupply or defensive "hovering".  A central furball area and remote GV fight area were included for quick access to fights.

Not sure how well the design accomplished the intended goals.  Northco has persisted anywhere from a couple of hours to 12 hours.  Some bases are rolled without much of a fight, some are captured and re-captured only after long intense fights.  Some players say they like it, others don't.  I've created two other maps with similar designs and goals  ("Reefs" and "Badlands") and am working on a fourth.  Yes, I do have a lot of time on my hands.   :D

I think I played on it once or so and did like it because the fights were pretty big and dars weren't scattered all over the place. I can post some screen shots of what I am talking about this weekend.

We really do appreciate your efforts and thank you for the time putting in to building these maps. I think you are on the right path.  :salute
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2020, 09:04:52 AM »

Making terrains is a battle against people's will. They want to spread out and complain about it while terrain builders try to herd them for reasons people complain about.

:rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2020, 12:48:20 PM »
What game is that Jan?

Eagler

War Thunder most likely. 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2020, 01:38:03 PM »

"The game I play now is mostly a huge furball with arcade-type shooting..."

Cheers, Jan

LOL, Yup that is the type of game pilots and pilot want to be want to play. Most of us quit playing arcade style games back in the 80s. I am a commercial pilot and I have tried all of the other types of flying sim games. While HTs planes are not modeled perfect they are way beyond the modeling of most of the other games. The flying characteristic are as realistic as can be compared to some of the games that the airplane fly like a a piece of cardboard with with flat wings. Probably one of the ones that come closet is IL2. I also will not pay to upgrade better airplanes. I have been playing this game close to 20 years and Dale has not once raised his subscription price. If anyone claims there are no fights anymore you should have been on a couple nights back at base A5 and A2 one of the most adrenaline rush fight anyone could ask for. Some of you that have to have eye candy to play a game probably shouldn't play here. I also do not like to have to wait in the tower for a mission to start and then when shot down have to wait in the tower for the next mission, not a bit fun. I love to be able to log on any time of day to a on going battle somewhere.
Tour 70 2005 to present