Author Topic: Heard from friends in Ardennes  (Read 802 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Heard from friends in Ardennes
« on: December 05, 2020, 01:08:30 PM »
My family heard from long time friends in Belgium a couple days ago.

I knew Covid was being handled quite differently in many European countries. However, she said she won’t even be able to have Christmas with her brother and his family who live just down the street. At first I just thought wow that’s really harsh restrictions. After thinking about it more, I looked into if it’s true that it’s not allowed. She’s quite fluent in English so I don’t think there’s misinterpretation...

Now though, I’m not sure if she was told they can’t or if a family member really said they won’t. Looking it up suggests maybe in certain neighborhoods or precincts (not sure what they call them) it could be possible.

https://walloniabelgiumtourism.co.uk/en-gb/content/coronavirus-covid-19-latest-news-belgium

https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/faq/

In the 2nd link it does state this:

In order to prevent the spread of the virus, it is important to respect the six golden rules in all social contacts. In addition, a number of restrictions apply:

It is advisable not to have close contact with more than one person who does not belong to your own household. “Close contact” implies contact which lasts longer than 15 minutes, without respecting the six golden rules such as social distancing and wearing a face mask.

It is not recommended that grandparents have close contact with their grandchildren.

Each member of a household can meet one close contact on a regular basis every 6 weeks at home or in a tourist accommodation.

At first it states ‘It is advisable...’  That’s just a snippet of it, all the rest goes on to say as if it’s law.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 01:32:58 PM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Heard from friends in Ardennes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 12:49:23 PM »
It is not recommended that grandparents have close contact with their grandchildren.

Broke that one Thanksgiving and will again Christmas

Same crazy "suggestions" here in US where someone might get more harmed for just not wearing a mask than covid would ever do

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 12:58:53 PM »
Belgium currently has the highest death per million population from covid so I'm not surprised they want to do something to improve their numbers even if there's little evidence it will help.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 01:31:06 PM »
Europe is in its second breakout and they say it is far worse than the first.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 02:30:06 PM »
Just ran some quick numbers.

Wow roughly 20% of their population has tested positive for it!

Based off ~11.5 million citizens and 590K cases. 

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 03:54:57 PM »
Just imagine the economic boom they'll have when they no longer have to support all the elderly who die from uncontrolled Covid spread.  Its like these old people will have saved up for retirement for life and then give it all away to the young having spent very little of it before their deaths. Sounds like a great deal for their country, free money.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 04:34:55 PM »
It won't be much of a boom. The entire country only has half the deaths that we have in NYC.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 12:19:25 PM »
Europe’s approach to Covid sure makes ours seem mild in most places.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/12/17/denmark-goes-into-nationwide-lockdown-over-christmas/

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 01:17:04 PM »
Or china were they seal up you in your home or a modified shipping container

https://youtu.be/iuQVyvaa56M

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 05:53:09 PM »
Just ran some quick numbers.

Wow roughly 20% of their population has tested positive for it!

Based off ~11.5 million citizens and 590K cases. 
I believe that the number is closer 5%. 20% of 11,500,000 is closer to 2.2 million
AkCaine

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 06:29:20 PM »
I believe that the number is closer 5%. 20% of 11,500,000 is closer to 2.2 million

Ahh you are correct Sir!  Hmm my math - part/whole gave me 20%. Idk maybe I left off a zero

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 10:34:29 PM »
I agree with Eagler. Is covid lockdown really worth your freedom? Why are people avoiding their families for this, is it really worth it, do you want to live alone in your basement for years because of it? Just like a very famous American once stated, "Live free or die". If you are at risk for complications with Covid, you should stay secluded and protected, like my Mother, but don't destroy your life and friends/family ties over this. These same people who lock themselves down for "Covid safety" will still drive their family to vacation at the risk of their lives without thinking about it (motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of death). Point is that you can't be so risk averse that you never leave your house, you always assume some risk in doing so.
Elvis
The Flying Circus