Author Topic: Manual programming of controllers  (Read 705 times)

Offline Guano

• Zinc Member
Manual programming of controllers
« on: December 12, 2020, 09:17:32 AM »
I have the need to add functions to controllers (CH FIghterstick and CH Pro Throttle) that are not in the lists of available functions.  I've read that in order to do that I need to manually program the controllers, however I can't find any instructions or tutorial that explains how to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Manual programming of controllers
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 09:32:50 AM »
Open clipboard map,select controls,then map controllers. Now select device you want to map,ie throttle.press the button or switch you want to map and a new window will open with all the control mapping,there is a sub menu such as global,vehicle etc. so you need to select the proper sub menu.

Then scroll till you find the function,such as flaps or raise/lower gear,click the funtion and then press OK. you will have to do that for each function you want to map but once you have done the first mapping it's fairly easy and straight forward from there.

hope that helps and feel free to ask anymore questions.

:salute

PS: if you go to map keys you will see a virtual KB and a list of all commands,remember to select the proper sub menu! If you look through it all you will see all the commands and can change the KB mappings if you wish.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 09:36:16 AM by morfiend »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 09:43:45 AM »
The CH program hasnt been updated well as windows has moved through its different vers to WIN10.

What are you trying to setup on your stick or throttle?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 10:28:23 AM »
I have the need to add functions to controllers (CH FIghterstick and CH Pro Throttle) that are not in the lists of available functions.  I've read that in order to do that I need to manually program the controllers, however I can't find any instructions or tutorial that explains how to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Programming functions requires the controllers to have their own programmable software. Fugitive says the CH software hasn't been updated for Win 10.

If you explain in more detail the additional functions you want to add to your controllers we may have some suggestions.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 10:45:01 AM »
I honestly don't think the CH software was updated for win7. It's pretty archaic, and use to cause me issues when I would use it in msfs, and move to AH where I didn't use it, and that was in the days of xp.

Like FLS said, if you can give us an idea of what your trying to accomplish we might be able to give you better suggestions.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 05:56:18 PM »
The last version of CH Control Manager, v4.55a ,was in fact updated to work in Win10. Have to use that version if you're on Win10, the others won't work at all. I use it and it works just fine although you have to go thru a certain sequence in order for the program to assign a profile. It's only a PITA the first time you do it!

Basically after opening the program:

1) switch device to "off mode" at the top
2) select a profile
3) download it to the stick
4) switch to "mapped mode"
5) exit the program.

As others have said, you can map most everything you need in AH in Map Controllers. What you can't do tho is map things like the dot commands. You need macros for that and that's where control manager comes in.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 10:29:28 AM »
The last version of CH Control Manager, v4.55a ,was in fact updated to work in Win10. Have to use that version if you're on Win10, the others won't work at all. I use it and it works just fine although you have to go thru a certain sequence in order for the program to assign a profile. It's only a PITA the first time you do it!

Basically after opening the program:

1) switch device to "off mode" at the top
2) select a profile
3) download it to the stick
4) switch to "mapped mode"
5) exit the program.

As others have said, you can map most everything you need in AH in Map Controllers. What you can't do tho is map things like the dot commands. You need macros for that and that's where control manager comes in.

The easiest way of doing is to type "store" in the Windows 10 search field, the close the Windows Store app after it pops up.  Then you can start CH Control Manager and download or create a new map file.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 10:49:46 AM »
The easiest way of doing is to type "store" in the Windows 10 search field, the close the Windows Store app after it pops up.  Then you can start CH Control Manager and download or create a new map file.
Yeah MS store is one of the programs I regularly kill off because I know it interferes with CM. Even so CM doesn't remember the last profile applied after a restart anymore and I'll have to go in and set one before flying. It's only slightly annoying but at least it works. I'm only using the CH throttle these days and it's getting long in the tooth. The front hat switch is starting to flake out and it's naturally the biggest pita to get at it I'd swap it out. VKB needs to get the ball rolling with their throttle to unify my setup.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Guano

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 12:03:01 PM »
First, thanks for the responses.  My first combat sim was Air Warrior, which I used till Aces High came along, and I played that from late 1999 or early 2000 until around 2011 or so.  I've been away for some time, but came back because MSFS 2020 had great graphics, but nothing was really going on except for flying from point a to point b. Now, to my problem.  I have a CH Fighterstick, a CH Pro Throttle and Saitek rudder pedals.  I saw that both of the CH products were "Pre Programmed' with functions.  But I found that when I fought in the sim I was automatically going back to the way I had the Stick and Throttle set up when I was last in here, so I decided to switch back.  But things are different now, especially in the area of programming the buttons. The first problem is that the button numbers used in the presets don't match the published numbers for the joystick. For example: in the sim :"Fire All Guns" is button zero, which is the trigger on the stick.  But the CH number for that is Button 1. Also I was wrong that there were functions available on one controller that were not available on the other controller, that was caused by not comparing the like groups (Analog to Analog) in each controller.  My mistake

So I will muddle along here for a while, but there is on thing that I would like to have, to use the mousse wheel to zoom in and out of the map.  That would be useful for me but I don't see how it can be done.

Thanks to all for your help.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 12:21:51 PM »
The game tries to set up your controllers for you but it can make some odd choices so check all of your settings.

I would start with a minimum setup with the most important controls mapped where you can reach them easily.  Map the stick and throttle with commands you need when you can't look at the keyboard. Then add additional controls as you need them.

Don't worry about matching labels. In the clipboard setup menu just double click the controller button you want to program and a menu of choices will pop up.

Map zoom in and out can be mapped to controller buttons. You can also right click the clipboard size buttons.

It's a very easy flexible system. Don't forget with 4 modes each button can have 4 functions. You just need to reserve one button to change modes.