Author Topic: Question for Englishmen  (Read 1881 times)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Question for Englishmen
« on: December 22, 2020, 01:35:01 PM »
I watched the Netflix series "The Ripper" this week about the Yorkshire Ripper. The question does not pertain to that, nor is it even important regarding the question. In the documentary, a dialectologist listened to about a minute of tape of a man speaking. After much careful scrutiny, the dialectologist and a colleague determined that the man not only hailed from Sunderland, but narrowed it down to the the very neighborhood of Castletown. This is quite remarkable.

My question is, how the hell is this possible? While I realize you may not be a linguist, but can you sniff out certain areas of cities that people are from? Here in the States, I could probably ascertain what part of the country and, at times, what state or city a person is from. Never, could I say, "Oh wow, he is from Southwestern Indianapolis" from an accent alone. Even the major cities like Boston, Philadelphia, and New York, how does someone deduce that a fellow is from Long Island and not Staten Island or Manhattan?

England is much smaller, obviously. The language has existed there for some twelve hundred years or so, I think. I understand why and how the dialects are the way they are and understand the fact that they have been localized. It is still difficult to fathom that a man could locate an accent within a square mile or two. What is the reason there? From a country that is so large, it is difficult for me to imagine. Never have I studied the nuances and subtleties of dialects within dialects as was done by this man of the Geordie accent. As aforementioned, I could deduce that a man has an Appalachian accent. I could probably go even further and tell you if it is Carolinian, high, or low. I do not think I could tell you where precisely the man is from. Does this come with acreage, you think? Is it the same sort of science, but in a much smaller area? I'd love to hear the English take on this.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Question for Englishmen
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 01:50:00 PM »
Nothern England has many regional accents and even towns are diverse.

Where i lived they sounded like they were speaking Anglo Saxon.

In the Liverpool they have an accent which is virtually impossible for non British to understand.

Yorkshire is full of sheep molesters.

And anything down south is of no interest.

The Midlands dielect sounds like they are all off the short bus.

When i was in Arizona they thought i was from Scotland.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 01:51:48 PM by zack1234 »
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 02:06:16 PM »
So, could a normal person in Northern England (not a linguist) tell the difference in a Northumbrian accent and a Lancashire accent? What about specifics within the dialect? Can a person tell if someone is from Blackpool or Burnley?
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 02:26:22 PM »
In Burnley they say things like ‘I dont know for what do”

I worked with a bloke from Wigan, it took me six months to understand what he was saying, Wigan is 20 miles from where i live.

Northern England has only contempt for Southerners, they are eunuchs like Bruv, and talk about their feelings and have their eyebrows plucked like catamites.

The pub i goto is on the River Mersey, you dont cause any trouble in there or you will get a proper leathering.

The GFC

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 04:04:35 PM »
Yes it is relatively easy to distinguish local accents.  When I lived Just north of Nottingham we could tell which village someone had grown up in even though those villages were just 5 miles apart.

This of course assumes they spent their formative years in that location unlike people like me who grew up as army brats and were exposed to an array of accents.

I now live in Australia and have lost some of the ability to distinguish small localities however am not usually too far off in terms of the nearest large city based on someone’s accent.  My wife is always amazed. 😀

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 04:08:12 PM »
Nottingham is full of dog  :old:fetlers

The GFC

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 04:12:38 PM »
I believe Germans have the same ability. At least they do in the movies. ;)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 05:30:42 PM »
Hellstrom knew he was not in the film the whole time.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 05:43:28 PM »
The neighbourhood claim is denied if you read up about the case.  And the dialectologist had done a specific study in that area, so had lots of relevant research.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 05:46:05 PM »
The neighbourhood claim is denied if you read up about the case.  And the dialectologist had done a specific study in that area, so had lots of relevant research.

I know the results of case, now. I was just fascinated that a dialect could be traced to a neighborhood in a city.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 05:57:48 PM »
When we went to Ireland many were hard to understand. However they understood us very well.  :headscratch:

Here in AZ you were mistaken for a Scotsman, hmmm idk maybe some of the Californians that have moved here in droves.

I certainly can tell the difference!
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 01:41:43 AM »
I believe Germans have the same ability. At least they do in the movies. ;)
Guess it's true in most countries that have been populated long enough by the same people. I can tell the direction of Finnish dialects pretty well and adapted to my current location pretty well. However the locals can tell I was not born here! My "dialect" is an Eastern blend of a 100 miles circle around here as that's where I used to travel during my 18 year stint as a representative. Locals can tell I'm not local but they can't tell my origins either.

The history of American English is too short for local dialects. The American people have come from all around the world and the process hasn't stopped yet. Even Pres. Trump has a different accent to his parents. Saying that American English is a foreign language for all US citizens may not be too far fetched...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 02:48:42 AM »
Bizman looks French and like leather shorts and big sausage.

So his dialect is very odd

The GFC

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 08:47:16 AM »
How did you know I just bought a pair of Lederhosen in October??? They're barely long enough to hide my sausage.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 08:53:07 AM »
When we moved to Tynemouth when I was 12 in 1971 I was asked to stand up in class and speak so they could hear my New Orleans accent :)

It was my first experience with snow

Fish and chips and the local movie house was great

The hobby store was a quick double decker bus ride as were the baths

Great times as a kid

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals