Author Topic: Question for Englishmen  (Read 1902 times)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Question for Englishmen
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 10:27:50 AM »
Guess it's true in most countries that have been populated long enough by the same people. I can tell the direction of Finnish dialects pretty well and adapted to my current location pretty well. However the locals can tell I was not born here! My "dialect" is an Eastern blend of a 100 miles circle around here as that's where I used to travel during my 18 year stint as a representative. Locals can tell I'm not local but they can't tell my origins either.

The history of American English is too short for local dialects. The American people have come from all around the world and the process hasn't stopped yet. Even Pres. Trump has a different accent to his parents. Saying that American English is a foreign language for all US citizens may not be too far fetched...

I think you are correct, Bizman. American English has not had enough time to localize as English in England has. Granted, there still exists some subtleties that are noticeable to the keen ear. I live in a fairly large, southern state. On the coast, they have a much different dialect than in the mountains. In between, where I am from, it is different still. The mountain folk drop their R's, the plains folk bend every vowel (like me), and the coastal folk say "wuh-ter" instead of water.  Still, if I heard a mountain person I could never say, "Hey, sounds like you are from Boone." I could never pinpoint a town.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2020, 10:35:13 AM »
I guarantee this colleague wouldn't be able to find my accent within 100 miles of my birthplace, and as such I'm hugely sceptical of the OP. 
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2020, 10:37:44 AM »
I guarantee this colleague wouldn't be able to find my accent within 100 miles of my birthplace, and as such I'm hugely sceptical of the OP.

Perhaps, it is baffling to me as well. There is much to say about losing accents as well, yea? The tape in question was clearly a Geordie accent, but then to be able to pinpoint where that came from within Sunderland is the part that really baffles me. I do not see how that is possible.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2020, 11:10:35 AM »
Why are you watching programs on English serial killers?

Is there something we should know?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2020, 11:37:25 AM »
Why are you watching programs on English serial killers?

Is there something we should know?

Lol, it was a special on Netflix. Seemed interesting, was interesting.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2020, 12:02:50 PM »
I think you are correct, Bizman. American English has not had enough time to localize as English in England has. Granted, there still exists some subtleties that are noticeable to the keen ear. I live in a fairly large, southern state. On the coast, they have a much different dialect than in the mountains. In between, where I am from, it is different still. The mountain folk drop their R's, the plains folk bend every vowel (like me), and the coastal folk say "wuh-ter" instead of water.  Still, if I heard a mountain person I could never say, "Hey, sounds like you are from Boone." I could never pinpoint a town.
I guess that's about how it is in the US. It's vast, the density of the population wasn't high enough for a very local dialect to grow from the various foreign accents of the immigrants. In big cities there was a Chinatown, Harlem, Little Germany/Italy/Spain/any other country etc. where people shared the same background and language in a pretty tight neighbourhood. Those areas can have a recognizable dialect and where new ethnic groups gather they will add their own spice to the language even today. Isolation and mass is the recipe for a dialect to develop. Belonging to a group will produce a "dialect" even worldwide. Just think about us AH'ers, we use terms that outsiders don't understand. Other gamers as well. Not to mention work related vocabulary...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2020, 12:07:05 PM »
I guess that's about how it is in the US. It's vast, the density of the population wasn't high enough for a very local dialect to grow from the various foreign accents of the immigrants. In big cities there was a Chinatown, Harlem, Little Germany/Italy/Spain/any other country etc. where people shared the same background and language in a pretty tight neighbourhood. Those areas can have a recognizable dialect and where new ethnic groups gather they will add their own spice to the language even today. Isolation and mass is the recipe for a dialect to develop. Belonging to a group will produce a "dialect" even worldwide. Just think about us AH'ers, we use terms that outsiders don't understand. Other gamers as well. Not to mention work related vocabulary...

Very true.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2020, 12:16:47 PM »
Yes

Fetling is a term to describe individuals who perform acts of deviant behaviour on individuals or live stock.

Sheep is usual said live stock in Wales or Yorkshire.

The GFC

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2020, 01:29:50 PM »
Yes

Fetling is a term to describe individuals who perform acts of deviant behaviour on individuals or live stock.

Sheep is usual said live stock in Wales or Yorkshire.

I though all Englishmen get randy with sheep at one time or another, I was unaware that it was a strictly North Umbrian activity.

Chuikov

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2020, 02:31:21 PM »
Zack is alive!!! 

I agree though Perdweeb accents are fascinating.  For such a small island you can go 60 miles in any direction and people start to sound funny.

Americans sometimes mistake me for an Aussie, being south coast central but most of them would have gone through here on their prison ships. 

Geordie is my favourite accent but scousers and west country folk are good too.   Once space travel becomes common place it opens up all sorts of weird and wonderful opportunities for language to diverge or evolve.

Having a Christmas Pie Zack?   

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 02:35:42 PM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2020, 02:48:52 PM »
America likely has many regional accents due to the diversity of the immigrant's backgrounds and their tendency to stay in those groups while acquiring a new language. Connecticut, which is a small state, has 5 regional accents but they might all sound the same to someone from Boston or New Orleans, which have their own distinct accents.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2020, 03:06:12 PM »
Bruv was caught fetlng a dog outside the Co Op in 1997.

No charges was brought as said canine made no complaint.

Happy Christmas Bruv :aok

The GFC

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2020, 05:32:18 PM »
Lol, it was a special on Netflix. Seemed interesting, was interesting.

He's in England, they're stuck watching reruns of Benny Hill.

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2020, 06:19:05 PM »
Perdue,
  You did not mention the dialect(if it can called such) of Charleston SC citizens. That is something of itself.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2020, 07:00:10 PM »
Perdue,
  You did not mention the dialect(if it can called such) of Charleston SC citizens. That is something of itself.

Oh man, hard to lump that one in with Appalachian. Savannah and Charleston certainly have their own accent which is not even Southern, more regal than anything. I think it is the closest thing resembling the King's we have in the United States. 
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com