Author Topic: Trench Art  (Read 557 times)

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
Trench Art
« on: December 22, 2020, 04:20:44 PM »
Does anyone have any knowledge about trench art? I have what appears to be a 3 inch shell and projectile that has a mermaid and fish stamped into the powder casing.  The fuze plate was previously cut off the powder canister, so I do not have any markings to reference.
 Ive just spent 2 days cleaning this brass piece and have been surprised at the work that went into its making.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Trench Art
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 05:52:30 PM »
While on trench art my identical twin uncles served in the same unit in the Australian army in WWII. They were at a captured Japanese airfield that had numerous A6M-3 wrecks they cut off a part of the propeller and turned it into a cribbage board.

Sorry for the hijack SIM.  :salute

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 07:02:30 PM »
Glad you did! That is a nice piece!

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 07:26:42 PM »
Ive just spent 2 days cleaning this brass piece and have been surprised at the work that went into its making.

be careful not to remove the patina, it could hurt its value.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 07:32:36 PM »
The patina was long gone before I began my work. At some point someone has tried to use some sort of chems to clean the brass, and whatever was used had formed runs similar to an over-spray of paint.