Author Topic: Bring Back ENY - Bish always have 2x players  (Read 9051 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Bring Back ENY - Bish always have 2x players
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 11:38:51 AM »
I dont know if bringing back ENY would be a good thing. To me, it never evened out the numbers

It was never meant to even the numbers. ENY is a handicap for the side with a substantial numerical advantage.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 11:40:16 AM »
Yak-3 is 18 ENY. Spit 9 is 20. G-14 is 20. FW 190A-5 is 25. Unless you want to face nothing but P-40s and P-39s, having ENY on is not going to do much except take Pony's and Doras away.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2021, 12:34:44 PM »
It was never meant to even the numbers. ENY is a handicap for the side with a substantial numerical advantage.

Agree. But it also served as a motive that if you really wanted to fly a low ENY fighter/tank, you had the option to switch sides.

I love the system now with NO ENY. I can up a C205, typically now the perk point for Knight is consistently 2x which I think assuming would be 10 perks for killing a pony/LA or spit sixteen.
You would not have those targets available to you if ENY was in place. I know most don't care about perks, some want to win the map and that gets you what? bragging rights? Perk points? You get 25 in each category. You can easily surpass that with minimal effort if you switch to the low numbers.

I have seen a lot of new names playing. I am not sure if its a new crowd or older players renewing subs. I do pray though they dont get discouraged and decide to quit because it can be very frustrating to the newer players.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 12:57:16 PM »
I think having more people in the game is better than putting eny back and having more people log off making the #s lower. A higher # count intrigues more people to log on. With ENY, it encourages players to log off. Id rather have lopsided #s that don't really mean much anyway, than more people log off and show less #s in the MA. Once the morning is over, the teams usually even out quite well and normally bish have a hard time after that.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 11:54:30 AM »
I used to only play AH. For many years it is all I played. I now have 2 other games that take up most of my free time.

It really does not matter to me anymore.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 01:17:03 PM »
I think this is the biggest problem. Bish seem to like to work together, knights and rooks not so much. To a lot of players on the Rooks and Knits, it seems that the only way to play is to rack up kills, and the quickest and easiest way is best. Vulching, picking and so on.

I dont think the "win the war" types dominate play any more. Of course that was the "hey day" of the game. Big squads going head to head pushing for the win. Of course that generated far more fights which kept the "fighter" guys busy/happy, and opened room for those looking to pick and vulch for easy kill counts. With the loss of that team aspect pushing for the win on the Rook, Knit side it leaves the Bish as the only team really "going for it!" , which adds to the issue of few fights on the rook knit front.

Bringing back ENY really wont slow the Bish down all that much as they just will continue to work together for that next base. It will get them pissin' and moaning about the handicap and make the defence on the Rook/Knit fronts a bit easier as they should had the better equipment, but not by much.
last week bish had 70 players on 3 or 4 nights in a row almost all using 5eny planes against 30 knights 40 rooks where is that faui
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 01:18:13 PM »
With or without ENY, Bishops will have the numbers. Having ENY on or off makes no difference.
makes a difference on the planes they can fly
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2021, 04:36:22 PM »
If my only choice is to be out numbered 4:1 or higher by 5 eny planes I just log off now. With eny I at least stuck around to fight off what I could and do so in eny10+. They can roll an empty map.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2021, 07:06:25 PM »
Bish are like roaches.

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2021, 10:43:52 AM »
Knits and rooks suck. Thats why nobody wants to switch to that side

Oh my
Check Six!

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2021, 01:05:11 PM »

I think this is the biggest problem. Bish seem to like to work together, knights and rooks not so much.

When do those Bish play??? The nights I play I only see the "Furballin & Spawn Camping type. :bolt:
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Windycty

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2021, 01:50:09 PM »

When do those Bish play??? The nights I play I only see the "Furballin & Spawn Camping type. :bolt:

Morning, Mid Day, Evening.... Cover and obey J0KER at all costs or else... :neener:
"Four fried chickens and a Coke"

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2021, 11:38:11 PM »
Time to bring back ENY.

Nope! It sucks donkey testicles and drives away customers. I would suggest an alternative but I already have. I suggested we ask HT to unlock country changes with a short or no delay for change backs but the pansies in this community want to cry about spying!

Not that spying is really stoppable ....

There are a couple of ways one can spy that no one can really do anything about.

I can log in, sit in the tower, Open my map, stream to youtube (Private or public) and share the stream with my buddies on the other teams. I can even walk way and let it run while I am at work, having lunch or rubbing one out in the shower. Remember one of the big gripes about NMY is the lurkers sleeping in the tower.

I can log into a shade account and do the same thing for my own sides benefit, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person with a second PC capable of playing Aces high and Streaming (I have 5 computers that can handle AH and stream it).

Heck if my son is in AH MA, I'm the one that pays for his account, and He's a minor, therefore I have legal access to said account.

So the spying issue is complete bovine feces and the people that buy into it are idiots.

NMY drives away customers, It drove me away once, and I was ready to cancel my current subscription until HT turned NMY off. If it comes back the way it was, I'm gone.

Honestly NMY didn't do crap other than drive players away to less stressful more accessible games. The only balancing it did was make people log off and ask why they are paying for this type of customer experience.

Come up with an alternative, leave it off, or get used to low numbers.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 01:05:03 AM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2021, 01:12:38 AM »
Nope! It sucks donkey testicles and drives away customers.
The lack of team balancing doesn't?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2021, 08:04:27 AM »
The lack of team balancing doesn't?

That is the problem .... it does not balance, it may make a few people like me log off, and consider canceling their subscription, but honestly most people just fly the next plane in the list they can, and the other side(s) still get mowed over, you just get mowed over by slightly older aircraft.

So even with NMY on you are going to have balance issues because it does not balance the sides it simply cuts off some planes.

I do not agree with the simple turning off NMY as a solution. I think it was deliberately self-defeating, HT even prophetically stated as much. But I honestly would take NMY off and out of the game than use it the way it has historically been implemented.

Low numbers can and often does make the problems with NMY even worse.

I think NMY can only work if people can change sides and then change back as faction populations normalize or overcompensate.

Some other ideas have been to remove NMY when numbers are at certain low numbers.

To remove tower nappers from the NMY equation (so they don’t count) – some claim this was already true before nmy was turned off.

I think someone came up with the idea to apply NMY to GVs Planes and Bombers separately. This one is interesting because I have gotten up late at night with NMY so bad all the corsairs were locked out, yet we only had a couple guys flying and they were outnumbered in the air 3 to 1. However, we had some 10 to 20 players on the ground spawn camping in Ground Vehicles one poor rook and about another dozen knights sleeping in the tower or playing with their sheep.

I think I’m one of the few and the loudest champions of leaving NMY on and allowing fast country change backs. Such as allowing you to change from bishop to knight and then 15 to 30 minutes later able to change back.

The only counter to it is that it would make spying easier and more of a problem. That may have been true back in AH1 and the early days of AH2 but now with social media and streaming that point has become mute as you absolutely cannot control spying in any way shape or form. Toss in shade accounts stream peaking/sniping and ya spying is no longer a controllable issue.

The benefits of ‘fast country change backs’ is that encourages people to change countries without the fear they can’t change back when their squad mates or a bestie shows up on their old country or they can’t change to another country when their new country becomes overcrowded due to a knee jerk reaction from the players.

Sometimes NMY can follow you when you change countries. It’s actually rare but it can and does happen.

Another benefit is improving Comradery and Community over the game as a whole, and this is a real big one. Rapid country changes with NMY allows and encourage players to fly/drive with other pilots and drivers that they normally would not. It encourages people to get to know the other guy. People start working with people that they normally would not. Pretty soon it becomes about the game and fun not some silly loyalty to a chess piece. I’m willing to bet 200 would be much less of toxic cesspool. I actually came back from FSO once and after a few hours of play I noticed how non-toxic the game was and how great people where to each other …. Then I released I forgot I ‘detuned’ channel 200 in FSO :/ …. Ya the game is so much better and less stressful when you ‘detune’ 200 in the MA. That is kind of sad and another thing that drives player away specially newbies.

We need newbies even squeakers if this game is going to last up until they pull the cord on Hitech’s life support … that’s plugged into the servers UPS.   

I remember when we had two or three 500 player MA’s and one was always full. Now we are lucky to see 200 at prime time in an MA that supports 1000. We are losing players. We are losing players to other games, we are losing players to frustration, and sadly we are losing players to the ravages of time. This game has been around since 1999 and this community has been around since at least 1987 and some of us where old when it started while some of us were not even a twinkle in daddy’s eye.

We are not picking up enough new players to replace the ones we are losing and to make matters even worse we have people leaving due to low numbers. If I’m not mistaken we had a slight active player spike when NMY was turned off.

I think one of my squad mates said it best “Aces High is a Niche game that has a steep learning curve that isn't really accessible to the newb and most of the Xbox generation. It lacks both the pretty factor and accessibility of WarThunder as well as the pretty factor complexity and fidelity of DCS and IL2. Unfortunately Aces high is not catching the players as they move between the accessibility of WarThunder and the fidelity of DCS and IL2 due to pretty factor.” That’s not word for word exact but that’s what he said.

Unless someone has a million dollar add campaign in their pocket and or a new high end pretty graphics engine in their pocket that can run well on older hardware …. We need to sell this game. We need to get our family and friends involved. Maybe name drop on forums at work on social media. Players need to stream and tell their friends and family about their streams. We need to draw old players back.

What this game really has in spades is its community and the community's relationship with the games developer and it's a true mass multiplayer game that can handle 1000 player in a single arena .... Unfortunately we only have about 50 to 200 players in the MA at any given time. The days of seeing 500+ in the MA are pretty much gone and I don't see them coming back any time soon.

Here I am preaching from on high about how we must save our game and community (Can I get hello Jaffar!?!) and yet … Good God! I find NMY more frustrating than getting my corn dog stuck in the mustard jar! It really makes me want to quit.

I preach to my kids when they go off on the ps4 and start screaming at the TV and toss one of my very expensive controllers around the room “STOP! If the game frustrates you that much play something else and if it is really that bad uninstall it and trade it in. Games are meant to be fun!”

I am NOT A DARKSOULS PLAYER! NMY the way it was will me make rage quit one to many times cancel my account and delete the game. As some here said “I now have 2 other games that take up most of my free time.” I have more than that. Except for some weird reason it does matter to me … probably due to nostalgia. I’ve been here since the AOL Airwarrior days. My squad has been here since at least 1987.

I would highly recommend people come up with a reasonable solution to the NMY problem. NMY on as it was and NMY off as it is now just is not working. Once you have your solution most people can agree with, someone should take it to HiTech, probably in an email.

If Nmy comes back the way it was and I’ll probably quit. I cannot speak for any one else. If nmy stays the way it is it could drive enough people away the game loses its fun for us and profit (If any) for Hitech. Basically an MMO collapse. There may come a time Hitech has to pull the plug and go work some crap job at a nasty company like EA or Ubisoft. Come on! really?!? We Can’t lose Hitech to EA!

Any way Maybe it’s just me Damned if I Do Damned if I don’t and No fun neither and that just isn’t who I am, I miss the fun. 

I’m bingo out and RTB! Damn you Dolby I didn't mean to write a book!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 08:43:12 AM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!