Author Topic: New to the VR, got a couple things I am confused by and want to sort.  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Hi guys.  I got a Quest 2 today and put it on my below-minimum-Quest-2-spec computer, it runs well enough to play.

So I get that it's got its own display parameters to use in the game, I have to re-set up my display windows etc.  Is there any way to move the default locations for the pop up windows?  I've tweaked my GUI somewhat, got a feeling that's going to be an ongoing thing for a while, but say for example the save recording window.  It's way over in the corner and moving my head to get the dot to hit the cancel button requires me to strain a bit and it's just annoying.  I never thought to try it, I do have a hat set up to look left/right/back/up at the moment, will the window still be there or will it be relative to the way I am facing?

Second, I moved my chat windows down and out of the way so when I'm sitting on the runway, the chat windows are down and left, basically overlaying my left wing root.  Great, out of the way spot for them, I can live without seeing the "don't step here" portion of the skins.  However, when I am flying through the air and go inverted and start diving on down, those windows move when I roll.  I've actually had them pan across my gunsight.  I REALLY would like to stop this behavior, is there a way?  I looked through the display menus and couldn't see anything that was obvious to me.

On a side note, VR in AH is everything I hoped it would be, and I went 2 hours of dogfighting today and it didn't affect my equilibrium at all, which I was moderately concerned about.

Now to look into whatever that was that allowed trackir style motion enhancement at the edges to get better six views...

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: New to the VR, got a couple things I am confused by and want to sort.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 10:21:20 PM »
Just in case it happens to someone else in the future, resetting to default and moving the stuff back to where I wanted it sorted the moving text window issue.  No clue what happened, but it's sorted.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 03:00:57 AM »
Just in case it happens to someone else in the future, resetting to default and moving the stuff back to where I wanted it sorted the moving text window issue.  No clue what happened, but it's sorted.

Wiley.
AWESOME NEWS! Last evening in Monday Night Madness, you had me scratching my head!!! CUE, Twilight Zone Theme Song!! UH OH! Watch out for "This un' "!!!! Glad you got it sorted out! VR is a game changer,IMHO!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 05:52:52 AM »
I almost needed to see a doctor after 4 hours last night. I fiddled with my settings to up the resolution from where it defaulted to. 1.2 gave me acceptable frame rate in MNM, I can run 1.3 in the MA.

It was hands down the best gaming experience of my life. I can see the pixels, but I would almost say there is no screen door effect. It's no worse than looking at a monitor.  I think I got into this at the right time. It's good enough for me to feel like I am on Star Trek. Only minor quibble is FOV but it's good enough.

I cannot believe how good gunnery feels. It's so much easier to see what your tracers are doing!

I cannot wait to get a computer that can run it politely at 90 fps.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 02:56:05 PM »
Did you set up a 6 view hat switch ?
map your hat to 6 view and this way you won't wring your neck ;)
Greatest thing in VR in AH.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 03:36:47 PM »
I almost needed to see a doctor after 4 hours last night. I fiddled with my settings to up the resolution from where it defaulted to. 1.2 gave me acceptable frame rate in MNM, I can run 1.3 in the MA.

It was hands down the best gaming experience of my life. I can see the pixels, but I would almost say there is no screen door effect. It's no worse than looking at a monitor.  I think I got into this at the right time. It's good enough for me to feel like I am on Star Trek. Only minor quibble is FOV but it's good enough.

I cannot believe how good gunnery feels. It's so much easier to see what your tracers are doing!

I cannot wait to get a computer that can run it politely at 90 fps.

Wiley.
At LEAST a Chiropractor lol STIFF NECK for sure :rofl  Yeah, FOV is limiting but "BEING THERE"...way exceeds the negatives :cheers:   First day of VR for me, was the 12 hr Battle of Britain scenario...talk about sore neck. I made it 10 hours though :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 01:19:09 AM »
Got a 4 way hat and a pinky for up view, gives me all the view I need, now I just need to get that back to being muscle memory.  Man it's fun though.  I've come to realize I actually can see more of the cockpit without moving my head than I could with my monitor, I think it's because it is taller than my monitor.  I lose horizontal FOV but gain vertical.

I'm still getting used to it.  One of the most noticeable things for me is the ability to see what my tracers are doing.  I think my gunnery is going to take a quantum leap, which makes me pretty happy.  I'm still ecstatic over the whole thing.  Some of the cockpits sure do take some getting used to.  The LA7's front view is so busy with stereo vision, it really makes it difficult for me to line up a shot sometimes.  But the ability to see around canopy bars is pretty amazing.  And the spatial awareness is so much better for turnfighting most of the time, although when I get disoriented, I get REALLY disoriented.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 03:25:53 AM »
Got a 4 way hat and a pinky for up view, gives me all the view I need, now I just need to get that back to being muscle memory.  Man it's fun though.  I've come to realize I actually can see more of the cockpit without moving my head than I could with my monitor, I think it's because it is taller than my monitor.  I lose horizontal FOV but gain vertical.

I'm still getting used to it.  One of the most noticeable things for me is the ability to see what my tracers are doing.  I think my gunnery is going to take a quantum leap, which makes me pretty happy.  I'm still ecstatic over the whole thing.  Some of the cockpits sure do take some getting used to.  The LA7's front view is so busy with stereo vision, it really makes it difficult for me to line up a shot sometimes.  But the ability to see around canopy bars is pretty amazing.  And the spatial awareness is so much better for turnfighting most of the time, although when I get disoriented, I get REALLY disoriented.

Wiley.
Yes,Like with your "La" issue....some of the Jap planes are worse! I found that setting my "head position" towards my dominate eye, fixed that Stereo Vision. Well, that and with time you wont even notice it. Seems the Planes I noticed it in...the Reticle seemed to fill the "Panel/Reflector"? I also found that moving a bit closer as to head position helped with that? You might find, like I did, "E State and Closure rates" are so much easier to recognize. I changed my "Gun Convergences" because of this. I am setting them at 250-ish, instead of my standard 400 without VR. My shots got that much closer. My hit percentage went WAY UP, although a lot of that is because of flying in MNM. We have to react so much faster, what with the decreased visibility and Icon ranges, imho. That is why I believe my niece, ULblizz was able to storm onto the scene...so to speak(Blizzard)!??? I started her with VR  :bhead  and you KNOW THE HELL that unleashed  :rofl   If you find it hard to type with VR...and using the NEW Keyboard we have in VR, check out VOIVEATTACK program! Its a third party add-on, but lets you type Dot Commands and other Key Board Functions, if you are limited by Joystick buttons. It takes some "Training of Windows' Voice" but does let you feel like Clint Eastwood in "Fire Fox"! :aok I use it for "Speed and Salvo settings, Gear and Salute returns". Oh and "CHIT watermelon Chit" for Compression Flaps and "K" key in 38's  :rofl  It will be a game changer..maybe not like VR on its own, but definitely something to look in to! WELCOME to ACES HIGH as it should be!!!! To my knowledge...the best Sim out there, when considering VR implementation!!!!

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 08:06:07 PM »
Tonight was my first VR experience ever.  It blows my mind.  First sortie was in the TA.  I had to remap my rudder pedals.  Everything else still mapped correctly. 

Got to the MA and did a resup mission to a strat and I admittedly got a little loopy.  Took a break.  Came back and set up my headset again and took off for a general fighter sweep in the F4U-1.  Came across a P40N and made very quick work of it.  Then came across an IL2 and it took a couple of passes to drop it but I found it so much easier to hit in VR vs. standard monitor. 

I can not believe the difference with VR.  And it exploits the strength of my new PC. 

I am a new believer in VR.  This is a whole new game to me.  I haven’t tried bombers or GVs yet.  I’ll have to learn how to GV and bomb all over again.

This is FUN!!!
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 01:14:28 AM »
HELL YEAH!!! I warned ya!!! It was MY pleasure,FYI :banana:

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 01:46:16 AM »
Did you set up a 6 view hat switch ?
map your hat to 6 view and this way you won't wring your neck ;)
Greatest thing in VR in AH.
ABSOLUTELY.....Facts!!!

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 02:00:42 AM »
Tonight was my first VR experience ever.  It blows my mind.  First sortie was in the TA.  I had to remap my rudder pedals.  Everything else still mapped correctly. 

Got to the MA and did a resup mission to a strat and I admittedly got a little loopy.  Took a break.  Came back and set up my headset again and took off for a general fighter sweep in the F4U-1.  Came across a P40N and made very quick work of it.  Then came across an IL2 and it took a couple of passes to drop it but I found it so much easier to hit in VR vs. standard monitor. 

I can not believe the difference with VR.  And it exploits the strength of my new PC. 

I am a new believer in VR.  This is a whole new game to me.  I haven’t tried bombers or GVs yet.  I’ll have to learn how to GV and bomb all over again.

This is FUN!!!
Can't remember the "Map", think it was Mesa or something...no biggie. Go to the Off Line TA,any base from the 5K to 20K and spawn a jeep...drive off the edge...PRICELESS :rofl "Six Flags...eat your heart out!! :rofl My Niece...ULBlizz, actually got sick!!!Could have been from my singing of, "Dukes of Hazzard" theme song??? :rofl :rofl
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 02:13:07 AM by 1stpar3 »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 01:58:15 PM »
Congrats Wiley!

VR in AH3 is the way to go

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 06:39:47 PM »
12 Years.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 09:35:59 PM »
Getting used to it, and simply put, L O V I N G it. :D  Was a bit uptight tonight, my video card is AMD, updated my drivers for something else, went to start AH, and discovered by behavior and a quick google, versions past 10.1.1, the AMD drivers crash oculus link.  Reverted my drivers and was gtg, but I thought we were past this kind of thing when Win10 came along.  :rofl

The view system in this game is simply awesome.  The flexibility of head position in the cockpit is just flat out the best in the industry.  I am still not dialed in to keep track of people through view changes, but it's getting noticeably better.  Guess I just have to play more.  :D

Only minor quibble is I wish the default position for things like the save recording filename window could be moved.  My setup has my shoulders more or less immobilized and it's about 5 degrees too far to hit "cancel" comfortably.

Wiley.

JG11