Author Topic: FPS in FSO/Scenarios  (Read 952 times)

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
FPS in FSO/Scenarios
« on: March 12, 2021, 11:31:17 PM »
I'm at the end of my rope, I really can't figure this out. Since the beginning of February I have been seeing HUGE FPS drops in FSO and Scenarios, down to 2-3 FPS, but I can get solid 80-90FPS in the MA. I've been through every setting, help forum, everything I could find. I even updated my CPU and MB and reinstalled windows, this was due anyway, and still had huge frame drops tonight. I've been running FPSVR from steam and it shows frametimes is where the hit is coming from, CPU more than GPU but both spiking. The weirdest thing is neither is coming close to maxing out on anything, thermals, loads, all well below max. Nothing to indicate why it's dropping other than the frametime is through the roof. I have nearly everything turned down to best performance or turned off graphics wise within AH. Best I can figure is it's when certain clouds are around, but have no idea why it bogs down my rig so bad. Any tips would be helpful cause my favourite parts of the game have become almost unplayable.

System specs :
Reverb G2
Ryzen 5 5600X (brand new, old CPU was I5 8600K)
Radeon RX 5700xt
32 gb ram

On paper my setup should crush it. For reference with the same system settings I can run DCS on high with an average 50FPS and smooth. That's offline but still, DCS is a hog in VR and AH has always run smoother.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: FPS in FSO/Scenarios
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 03:07:32 AM »
I had something similar happen, while participating in DR7's Memorial.Was 106 players crammed in...so?    I get this sometimes around CVs and Large Bases in Main Arena, also.   What "Graphic Details" settings are you running?   How long have you been in "VR"?  I have been here (VR)since 2017, I believe?  I run ZERO: Post Lighting,Shadows,Reflections,Ground Clutter, Environment Frames and have Tree detail at Full Minimum. While I may still get some "Choppy" instances...my FPS drops are only to 40 or so, and are VERY BRIEF! I run a NVidia 2080. I just carried my settings over from my older 1080Nvidia PC. Hope this helps :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 10:24:26 AM »
I've been using vr for years, maybe 2018? First the original rift then the reverb g2 since November. For my in game graphics settings I have pretty much everything turned down to minimums and all the eye candy stuff turned off. Pretty much the same as what you have listed.

When it happens it stays for a while. Everything will be smooth at 90fps then just suddenly drops off a cliff. Choppy and stuttering, bouncing between highs of 30fps and lows of 1-2.

It doesn't seem to be related to how many players are around. It happened in the scenario last weekend when there was only my squadron around, 5 guys. And I've been in big fights in the ma with no issues.

It started in the first frame of February FSO and has been consistent since. After troubleshooting for 6 weeks now I'm really starting to think it's something in game and not on my end. Perhaps something in the arena setup? I guess I'm looking to see how widespread this is, if anyone else has noticed this huge performance hit the last couple months.

Arabian Knights

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 03:10:08 PM »
Rocco check your Rift audio drivers. There are two sets of drivers, one which has virtual in the name and the other that doesn't. I have found the virtual drivers cause strange audio issues (especially with the mic).

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 04:13:32 AM »
I had a similar experience last evening. It got Choppy, sort of like a Disco Ball/Haunted House flickering lights  effect. I didnt have the FPS counter active, so dont know if it was the cause.  Seemed to make things a bit Awkward, but for me it was almost"Flash in the Pan"...wasnt drawn out too long. :uhoh    I could live with it, as VR experience more than makes up for these little blurps, imho
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 07:42:00 AM »
Maybe Windows or another program updating in the background?  Might try running a resource monitor in the background.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 08:55:15 AM »
For a few weeks now, for the first minute or so that I'm in the MA, my frame rate is in single or low-double digits.  Doesn't matter what I do, where I look, whether I'm in tower or in an aeroplane, it just takes that long for thing to wake up.  Then the rate suddenly jumps to 80, and stays that way for the remainder of my time in the arena.

- oldman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 12:27:22 AM »
Maybe I am wrong but I have been blaming it on the clouds. Always seems to tank around them. Weird thing is with the same settings I never had a problem with them in 2d.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 10:52:53 AM »
I've been kinda blaming the clouds too, seemed like there were always the darker clouds around. But no one else in the area seems to get as bad as I do when it happens. A squaddie suggested it might be my drive, so I'll be watching it next time.

Interesting thing it didn't really happen during the scenario this past Saturday. Just the normal small stutters here and there around heavy ground ack.

Arabian Knights

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 12:34:11 AM »
Just wanted to give one more update on this. Tonight's FSO I had no issues. 80fps average with 0 stutters. First Fso since January I haven't seen single digits. I haven't made any changes to my PC since last FSO so don't know why it's back to normal. I'm not complaining anyway. Hope it stays.

Arabian Knights

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 03:03:27 AM »
Maybe Windows or another program updating in the background?  Might try running a resource monitor in the background.
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least on my end!!! Windows Music..for notifications..Do Do Da. "Your Monthly Protection Report is ready to review." Shouldnt "Focus Assist" and other settings stop this behavior?  :bhead My gaming experience TANKS, because of this IE(I sit in a Wirb, till things go normal)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 03:17:24 AM »
For a few weeks now, for the first minute or so that I'm in the MA, my frame rate is in single or low-double digits.  Doesn't matter what I do, where I look, whether I'm in tower or in an airplane, it just takes that long for thing to wake up.  Then the rate suddenly jumps to 80, and stays that way for the remainder of my time in the arena.

- oldman
SAME! If I go to Roster, right after entering arena...Bish 23   Knight 25   Rook 20....and Head movement is choppy!! Hit Refresh..Bish 48 Knight 47  Rook 49? So YES!!!! Same as you!  WAIT A MINUTE!!??? OLDMAN? You are VR CLUB?   Makes sense, I reckon?Hardest to kill P-39 I know of!! :rofl "AEROPLANE/Airacobra " dead give away, that this is you!!!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 05:40:47 PM »
Another thing to try if you're having issues with SteamVR is to try OpenCompositeVR instead. It's a lighter weight program and will let you run Steam games in VR without all the overhead of Steam.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group