Author Topic: Buying New Controls  (Read 5062 times)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Re: Buying New Controls
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2021, 06:31:31 PM »
They don't come with software, you have to download it. If you tried to set your Gladiator up with windows that's likely your problem. They require VKB's Devconfig (hard) or Wizzo(EZ mode) software and there's a specific sequence to the calibration process that must be followed. Setting it up using windows can cause odd problems and is a general no no for these sticks, at least it definitely is for the Gunfighter.

Violator, I was having similar frustrations with my VKB Gunfighter until Drano  and others et me straight on  using the VKB to calibrate; once I very carefully followed their recommended sequence my squirrelly mapping issues went away.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2021, 06:35:40 PM »
Where is everyone buying their joysticks from these days? My X52 is pushing 15 years old, and it is showing signs or wear and tear. I just wanted to buy a new one and noticed they are double in price from what I bought it in 2007 😳.

I'm using a VKB Gunfighter Mk III "Modern Combat edition".  It  was an expensive gift from one of my sons, but once I figured out the calibration, I absolutely love this stick, and it'll likely outlast me.   :old:

I'm still using CH Pro throttle &  pedals, but it sems their new controls are no longer reliable.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2021, 08:18:19 PM »
I'm using an MS sidewinder force feedback that I have used for my entire AH lifetime. Best stick ever made

You and Shane.

- oldman

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2021, 09:18:32 PM »
I still have my X52 that works great after I took the stick apart and cleaned it up
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2021, 09:37:17 PM »
my vkb gunfighter did this when it was new,
recalibrate the thumbstick in the vkb software.

use the vkb software for calibration, do not use windows calibration.

have to calibrate first in vkb software, then in aces high.

on the plus side i havent had it lose calibration once. (after i initially got it working)

They don't come with software, you have to download it. If you tried to set your Gladiator up with windows that's likely your problem. They require VKB's Devconfig (hard) or Wizzo(EZ mode) software and there's a specific sequence to the calibration process that must be followed. Setting it up using windows can cause odd problems and is a general no no for these sticks, at least it definitely is for the Gunfighter.

I don't have the NXT but the 8-way hat on my MCG-Pro is a dual purpose hat. Normally it's an 8-way hat like any other. But these hats all have a center press too. On this hat, a long press on the center switches modes and now that hat is a 2-axis switch. I use it for pitch and roll trim. Pretty handy. In that mode a quick press on center re-centers both axii. A long press brings you back to the 8-way hat mode.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Violator, I was having similar frustrations with my VKB Gunfighter until Drano  and others et me straight on  using the VKB to calibrate; once I very carefully followed their recommended sequence my squirrelly mapping issues went away.

Did a recalibration the way it shows on the 40 second calibration video. Works great now! Glad that did the trick!

Thanks yall!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 09:39:27 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2021, 09:45:11 PM »
Lots of people make this same mistake so don't feel bad. These newer sticks are just a different animal. If ya want to get an idea of what I'm taking about download the manual for the software. Newest version is only 140 pages!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2021, 11:01:22 PM »
I just want to replace my X52 with another X52.  On Amazon they're almost $250  :uhoh.  I found a website (Sporty's Pilot Shop) that has them for $150, but I have trust issues with buying stuff off sites I've never heard of.
sportys is safe

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2021, 10:17:47 AM »
Thank you, all! I figured someone here had experience with Sporty’s before.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2021, 01:50:00 PM »
The T1600 is great bang for the buck

Used it for a short bit between my years of saitek starting with X36 - X52 before grabbing a warthog

Sadly they are all ridiculously expensive

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2021, 06:52:55 PM »
Call me crazy but my favorite stick was the old x45 with rocker rudder lol.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2021, 02:52:22 PM »
Also got the VKB Gunfighter MKIII and Modern Combat Edition grip with twist rudder and 200mm extension so i could center mount it. Replaced my X-52 which new lasted 6 months, the previous X-52 lasted about 10 years, new ones aren't worth a crap. Got the Virpil T-50 CM3 throttle as well, best sim gear purchases I've made.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2021, 03:33:49 AM »
I'm using an MS sidewinder force feedback that I have used for my entire AH lifetime. Best stick ever made :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Joystick/117042/bn_7023528092

you'll find one for under 20 bucks if you look for ten minutes.

All the fancy pants kit in the world wont beat a good condition sidewinder twisty  :noid

Bat, if you're flying in game again, I'll take that bet - .  Much the same as shooting ability/skills, IMO online combat sim flying skill is mostly - by far -  the user and not the tool, but a better tool always helps.  You won't go back to the MS stick, I promise you that, if you used a VKB or Virpil stick properly set up.  I might be convinced to lend my spare Gunfighter out to prove it.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2021, 01:11:31 PM »
Bat, if you're flying in game again, I'll take that bet - .  Much the same as shooting ability/skills, IMO online combat sim flying skill is mostly - by far -  the user and not the tool, but a better tool always helps.  You won't go back to the MS stick, I promise you that, if you used a VKB or Virpil stick properly set up.  I might be convinced to lend my spare Gunfighter out to prove it.

Not to say that the operator isn't the most important part of the system, but...

I never thought the tools were that big of a deal until I went from an X52 to a VKB Gladiator K.  I always thought people talking about the precision of their gear were the same kinds of people that obsess about getting 3 more FPS out of tweaking their video card.  The Gladiator made me a believer.  Get the best gear you can afford.

The difference in feel going to a better sensor in the stick made an enormous difference to my ability to point the nose where I want it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2021, 01:37:34 PM »
The bad news is these things are still kind of a niche market as they've always been. Flight sims are a niche of the gaming world. So not a whole heckuva lot of choices. But the good news is as far as the sensors go, the pots are going the way of the dinosaur. So what choices you do have will give better precision for that reason alone. The only diff is there are some that are not totally made of plastic as all were back in the day. Cost more but more apt to hold up a long time.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2021, 01:39:26 PM »

Absolutely agree, my comment about the sidewinder was tongue in cheek for sure Gman! I barely get to play more than a few hours a week if I am lucky. But really, as far as budget options go, the sidewinder FF is really good.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.