Author Topic: Buying New Controls  (Read 4825 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Buying New Controls
« on: April 04, 2021, 11:33:15 AM »
Where is everyone buying their joysticks from these days? My X52 is pushing 15 years old, and it is showing signs or wear and tear. I just wanted to buy a new one and noticed they are double in price from what I bought it in 2007 😳. 
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Buying New Controls
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 12:18:12 PM »
Replaced my CH gear with the VKB Gunfighter III with the space grip, VKB T-Rudder Mk IV and Virpil T-50 CM3 throttle.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 12:48:54 PM »
I ended up with an X52 Pro. Bought it on /r/hardwareswap for about 100 or so. It too replaced my X52 of like 10-15 yrs.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 01:04:03 PM »
Replaced my CH gear with the VKB Gunfighter III with the space grip, VKB T-Rudder Mk IV and Virpil T-50 CM3 throttle.

Just curious, Ack-Ack - why the space grip?  More buttons?   

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 01:24:11 PM »
I ended up with an X52 Pro. Bought it on /r/hardwareswap for about 100 or so. It too replaced my X52 of like 10-15 yrs.

I just want to replace my X52 with another X52.  On Amazon they're almost $250  :uhoh.  I found a website (Sporty's Pilot Shop) that has them for $150, but I have trust issues with buying stuff off sites I've never heard of. 
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 01:41:34 PM »
I bought the VKB Gunfighter NXT. It's a nice stick for the cost, however, I am having a problem with the 8way hat switch. When I push the hatswitch to the full left quickly, it snap looks to the right instead. I do not believe this is a problem with Aces High. When I do it slowly and not full left, it works. It only does it when I look to the left quickly and full reach. Not sure what is going on here.

I guess I'll have to just get VR then, but damn I am not use to that at all.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 01:45:07 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 01:42:05 PM »
I've been using regular Logitech, and Thrustmaster stuff for the last 30? years or so and thought it was fine.

However, recently I splurged on a VKB gunfighter mk3 for my control stick.
Using the modern combat grip.
Granted I went the extra step and center mounted it on a 200mm curved extension.
And it was a bit pricier than I wanted.
and the software while powerful can take some getting used to.

but,
It is spectacular, worth every penny.
the smoothness and precision are top notch.
the adjustability is great.
and it was here in under a week.

cons,
software could be a bit more polished, and complex macro creation could be easier. but I think most joystick software falls under this category. in practice it works fine.
price.
modern combat grip has too many buttons? i guess if you want to get picky lol.

zero regrets.

I liked it enough to also pick up the vkb pedals, which also work very well.
and ill probably grab the throttle if they get one out just to get rid of my last piece of Thrustmaster gear.
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 01:44:15 PM »
I bought the VKB Gunfighter NXT. It's a nice stick for the cost, however, I am having a problem with the 8way hat switch. When I push the hatswitch to the full left quickly, it snap looks to the right instead. I do not believe this is a problem with Aces High. When I do it slowly and not full left, it does look to the left. It only does it when I look to the left. Not sure what is going on here.

I guess I'll have to just get VR then, but damn I am not use to that at all.

my vkb gunfighter did this when it was new,
recalibrate the thumbstick in the vkb software.

use the vkb software for calibration, do not use windows calibration.

have to calibrate first in vkb software, then in aces high.

on the plus side i havent had it lose calibration once. (after i initially got it working)

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 01:50:45 PM »
I just want to replace my X52 with another X52.  On Amazon they're almost $250  :uhoh.  I found a website (Sporty's Pilot Shop) that has them for $150, but I have trust issues with buying stuff off sites I've never heard of.

I make no promises, but I have gotten stuff from Sporty's a few times over the years.
they have been around a minute.
It always worked out ok.
I think it would be fine.

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 02:01:46 PM »

Sportys has been around longer than Amazon is very reputable in the aviation community.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 03:45:34 PM »
Just curious, Ack-Ack - why the space grip?  More buttons?

The buttons and feel 9f the space grip, reminds me of the CH Fighterstick.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 04:13:23 PM »
my vkb gunfighter did this when it was new,
recalibrate the thumbstick in the vkb software.

use the vkb software for calibration, do not use windows calibration.

have to calibrate first in vkb software, then in aces high.

on the plus side i havent had it lose calibration once. (after i initially got it working)

Thanks will try that, however, my stick did not come with software, it calibrated using the stick only. it's the (cheap) $150 one, but I'll try to recalibrate again and hopefully that will do.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 05:13:04 PM »
Sportys has been around longer than Amazon is very reputable in the aviation community.

True.  Got my hand-held and most of my headsets from them, along with a host of impulse purchases.  And with the pandemic, they have been pushing sims and sim equipment for the past six or eight months.  Some interesting stuff on their web site.

- oldman

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 05:44:58 PM »
Thanks will try that, however, my stick did not come with software, it calibrated using the stick only. it's the (cheap) $150 one, but I'll try to recalibrate again and hopefully that will do.
They don't come with software, you have to download it. If you tried to set your Gladiator up with windows that's likely your problem. They require VKB's Devconfig (hard) or Wizzo(EZ mode) software and there's a specific sequence to the calibration process that must be followed. Setting it up using windows can cause odd problems and is a general no no for these sticks, at least it definitely is for the Gunfighter.

I don't have the NXT but the 8-way hat on my MCG-Pro is a dual purpose hat. Normally it's an 8-way hat like any other. But these hats all have a center press too. On this hat, a long press on the center switches modes and now that hat is a 2-axis switch. I use it for pitch and roll trim. Pretty handy. In that mode a quick press on center re-centers both axii. A long press brings you back to the 8-way hat mode.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 05:53:47 PM »
I'm using an MS sidewinder force feedback that I have used for my entire AH lifetime. Best stick ever made :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Joystick/117042/bn_7023528092

you'll find one for under 20 bucks if you look for ten minutes.

All the fancy pants kit in the world wont beat a good condition sidewinder twisty  :noid
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.