Author Topic: New Joystick, old ch throttle... losing settings.  (Read 1007 times)

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
New Joystick, old ch throttle... losing settings.
« on: May 06, 2021, 12:50:23 AM »
I recently got myself a new stick, thrustmaster, after my last 2 CH sticks wore out. however I still have both the CH throttle and pedals. I stopped using the the ch control programme. I did try a 3rd party programme (JoytoKey) but am having difficulties with at as well.

So I was using AH to detect and map all the controllers. And it was working well.  However today i went to fly and all it is all unmapped. Obviously very frustrating.

I went to the settings folder in AH and I the JSM files are all blank.

apart from saving the JSM (after I set it up again) is there anything I can do?

TIA
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: New Joystick, old ch throttle... losing settings.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 08:14:52 AM »
Silly question,did you click OK after setting up JS and controls? If not it may not save the settings.

:salute

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 08:36:48 AM »
This has happened to me and a squaddie too. Same thing. Haven't messed with the editor or changed a thing in recent memory. Started the game one night and had no mapping for anything. Just gone. This was maybe a month ago for me and a couple of weeks prior to that for him.

At the time I thought it was an odd coincidence. Maybe something is up with it?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 08:38:34 AM »
Silly question,did you click OK after setting up JS and controls? If not it may not save the settings.

:salute

Its a good question to ask, but yes, I did.
Raw Prawns      

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 08:39:16 AM »
This has happened to me and a squaddie too. Same thing. Haven't messed with the editor or changed a thing in recent memory. Started the game one night and had no mapping for anything. Just gone. This was maybe a month ago for me and a couple of weeks prior to that for him.

At the time I thought it was an odd coincidence. Maybe something is up with it?

Well at least I am not alone..
Raw Prawns      

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 11:05:38 AM »
I have a warthog, ch throttle,  and ch pedals and have never had this happen (knock on wood) but I have copies of the files just in case. Save a copy just in case.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 11:24:38 AM »
To prevent this from happening or sometimes even fixing issues like this, hold Shift button down while clicking Shutdown. Should any setting having become corrupted during your session, that trick should fix it.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 06:41:40 PM »
Thing is it was so random. I've never had this happen before. Hasn't happened since. It's not like I play the game every day like I used to (sadly)
. So it's not like it was there, restarted the game and was gone. Could have been gone for days. That was the case when it happened to me. Probably hadn't been at the PC in days, did the usual checks before going online and had a blank key map out of nowhere. Haven't had the game crash on me in a while. For all I know it was a windows update that did it. Is it some VR quirk? I dunno. I just thought it odd to hear this same problem happening to others just recently as it did me.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 11:26:59 PM »
I have a warthog, ch throttle,  and ch pedals and have never had this happen (knock on wood) but I have copies of the files just in case. Save a copy just in case.

Which I will be doing from now on..
Raw Prawns      

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 11:28:12 PM »
To prevent this from happening or sometimes even fixing issues like this, hold Shift button down while clicking Shutdown. Should any setting having become corrupted during your session, that trick should fix it.

Bizman, to be clear are you  talking about shutting down the computer? or just the game.  Tks.
Raw Prawns      

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 12:40:52 AM »
Bizman, to be clear are you  talking about shutting down the computer? or just the game.  Tks.
Good question, sorry for being unclear. I'm talking about shutting down the computer.

IIRC there's been similar issues with my personal computer, information saved in certain files having suddenly vanished. And as obscure it may seem, the information comes back with a fresh restart of Windows. How does an empty page find the previous information? I guess it's there all the time but some quirk has locked the content so only the reading program opens. It may be related to the file extensions which aren't natively those of Windows, somehow the connection and compatibility between those files and Notepad gets corrupted. 
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 12:52:46 AM »
Good question, sorry for being unclear. I'm talking about shutting down the computer.

IIRC there's been similar issues with my personal computer, information saved in certain files having suddenly vanished. And as obscure it may seem, the information comes back with a fresh restart of Windows. How does an empty page find the previous information? I guess it's there all the time but some quirk has locked the content so only the reading program opens. It may be related to the file extensions which aren't natively those of Windows, somehow the connection and compatibility between those files and Notepad gets corrupted.

Thank you.
Raw Prawns