Author Topic: VR Basics help for a returning AH 1 & 2 veteran  (Read 1470 times)

Offline ATD

• Zinc Member
VR Basics help for a returning AH 1 & 2 veteran
« on: May 09, 2021, 04:15:40 AM »
Hi All

I flew for years on aces high when it was first released and I’m returning now with a VR set up, which is a qualified pilot, I really appreciate. Being new to this environment, I would be grateful for help on a number of points (I’ve checked every page in the VR forum first) and have solved quite a number of things myself already. I feel like a World War I veteran, starting to fly in World War II A primer would be useful but I haven’t seen one. I’ll put the queries in point form for ease of reference.

1 is voice recognition (“Voice Attack”) the solution for not being able to see the HOTAS controllers?!

2 Mapping the controller seems to be possible only from menus accessed while at the tower. Anything else seems to be forgotten?

3 I figured out that it’s necessary to select menu options using the mouse dot but I haven’t found out a way to replace the mouse click to confirm entries. This is pretty inconvenient, as I can’t see the mouse (it seemed unusual now set up). Surely something can be mapped to a controller somehow?

4 Can the various information panels be closed somehow? I believe that they can be moved - how is that best achieved?

5 A quick guide as to how to use a push to talk voice radio? We used to need to use Teamspeak for this in the distant past.

6 Maybe it’s different on other aircraft but I haven’t easily seen a fuel gauge or slip indicator in the instrument panel.

7 I’m running the game from Steam because it wouldn’t run at all using the directly downloaded version. Presumably there is not much of a disadvantage in doing this?

8 Anything else you think would be helpful? I wonder whether VR is an advantage or disadvantage in a dogfight?!

Many thanks,

“Travis” (old handle!)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: VR Basics help for a returning AH 1 & 2 veteran
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 05:47:26 AM »
Welcome back.

I tried to answer the ones I might be able to help with.

1. From what I understand it's more for keyboard commands.

5. I have it mapped to one of the buttons on my controller. I push it and use the mic in the VR

8. I would say it's a big advantage once you get used to it, especially in gunnery.

Offline ATD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 07:00:41 AM »
Thanks.

1. It's just about impossible to use the HOTAS I have, without being able to see it, so I'm presuming this will turn out to be the solution.

5. I can map that. I just have no idea how the whole radio net thing works now. For example, linking to one other friend in the limited arena for training.

8. Great.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 07:43:28 AM »
You need to map your top and 6 views to hat as you still use those

Button on throttle pops up radio and with vr keyboard HT provides you just click to type while in vr

The rest is mapped to warthog joystick and t1600 throttle so I don't need to see the keyboard

Once you get the hang of VR you will not go back

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 09:14:27 AM »

1 is voice recognition (“Voice Attack”) the solution for not being able to see the HOTAS controllers?!

As others have said, Voice Attack is to save you from trying to type out commands on the keyboard while under the headset in VR. You train it to recognize your voice, then assign it to type a command when you say a certain word or phrase.

Oh and by HOTAS you mean keyboard correct? You shouldn't have to actually be looking at your stick and throttle. Kinda defeats the purpose!

2 Mapping the controller seems to be possible only from menus accessed while at the tower. Anything else seems to be forgotten?

You can map almost every command you need to use in Aces High in the map controllers section of the clipboard. There's a drop down list at the top. Select which of your controllers you want to map. Appearing below it now is a list of buttons and axii to be mapped. Double click on a button or axis and another list of the commands will appear. Double click on the command you want. Click OK at the bottom and that one is mapped. Do this for each. The only commands you can't map this way are the "dot" commands. They would require a macro, a typed out command that starts with a period (dot) injected into the text buffer. Voice attack can be used for this.

The other way is to use the software your stick uses. It's a good idea to print out the keyboard commands for AH so you have them to refer to while you're doing it. Those programs are all kinda the same but they're all kinda different too.

3 I figured out that it’s necessary to select menu options using the mouse dot but I haven’t found out a way to replace the mouse click to confirm entries. This is pretty inconvenient, as I can’t see the mouse (it seemed unusual now set up). Surely something can be mapped to a controller somehow?

I don't have a problem with this. I'm in VR too but my mouse is always in the same spot right out in front of me so it's easy to find.

It's possible to map a mouse click with some stick mapping software.

4 Can the various information panels be closed somehow? I believe that they can be moved - how is that best achieved?

Not sure what you mean by this? Is it that there's a dark panel all the time? In that case go to the GUI section of the clipboard and move the sliders for radio window, etc., to how you like them. While this section is open you can click and drag these windows around to where you want them. FYI in VR some of them might be over your head initially so look around.

5 A quick guide as to how to use a push to talk voice radio? We used to need to use Teamspeak for this in the distant past.

Well if you had TS figured out this shouldn't be a problem. There are two PTT commands. T=talk on tuned channel. With that one you set a radio number in the right hand radio box (radio 5). The slash key (/) brings it up. To test that type your handle into the box and press T while talking.

The other PTT is F12. With that one you can talk to anyone on your side that's within I think it's 8k of your position.

6 Maybe it’s different on other aircraft but I haven’t easily seen a fuel gauge or slip indicator in the instrument panel.

All of the planes have different cockpit layouts--naturally as they're all different planes. There are various gauges but the ones common to them all are fuel and slip indicators. They're there.

7 I’m running the game from Steam because it wouldn’t run at all using the directly downloaded version. Presumably there is not much of a disadvantage in doing this?

Steam will work. I have an Oculus. I didn't think it was working either at first. What's happening is when you run the standalone version and you put on the headset there's a dialog box that appears on your monitor--that you can't see as you've put the headset on. It's asking if you want to run your steam or Oculus headset. Peek under the headset and click yes to whichever and the game will start.

8 Anything else you think would be helpful? I wonder whether VR is an advantage or disadvantage in a dogfight?!

Be prepared to spill at least one beverage. It's gonna happen.

AH implantation of VR is the best. You can still use the hat switches to look around. This is a great help as your FOV in VR is pretty limited.

Many thanks,

“Travis” (old handle!)

No problem! Welcome back!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 11:17:54 AM »
OK, my first question is what kind of controls are you using that you need to "see" them to work them?

Voice attack is software that will do "button pushes" for you. Basically once you get it to recognize your voice you can set it up so that you would say "Gear down" and your gear would go down. I dont use it yet myself so I dont know how limited it is. From what Ive read you cant say "nice fight!" and have it type that out on the radio.

I have never had an issue mapping controllers from anywhere. The most important thing to remember is to be sure you are mapping the controller you want, and to be sure you are mapping in the MODE you want. There is fighter mode, vehicle mode bomber/gunner mode and one other that I cant think of right now

You can map the left click, and right click to your controllers. Point the ball, click the switch on your stick/controller.

Most can be moved, some can be closed out. The "ladder" in the heads up can be closed out, the controller position thing can be closed out and a few others. Go to the UI section and you will find the area to close and or move different items.

hitting the "/" key will open the radiobar. Each of the 5 channels has a dropdown box for you to adjust which keys tune to which channels. Each channel can also be tuned to a single player or a single channel2-199 are channel your teammates use to talk to each other, 200 and up are cross country channels. Left click,hold and drag across the channel box to hilight "country" or what ever is displayed in that channel and type in the channel number or the name of the player you want to tune and hit ok. When you have the radio bar open, looking at the upper box in the left corner it list those players on the two main channels, the one your on and the range. At the top it shows which keys to use to talk on those channels.

The cockpit are some what modeled after the real planes (we have ammo counters real planes dont) but for the most part the indicators and gauges are in the area of the real thing. So you may have to hunt around to find them, but if a plane had a slip indicator, it will be there some place.

I wonder why it wouldnt run from the strait download? If your machine is strong enough to run it on Steam it is strong enough to run it onf the direct servers. Aside from that, running from Steam is the same as running from the direct download, no difference

Yes I think VR is an advantage. It is much harder to lose site of a bogie in a fight with VR because you are not "switching" views so much, you just sliding from one to the next. Aiming, once you get use to it is much better due to the 3D feel. Also flying and maneuvering you can be more precise and so "lawndarting" doesnt happen as much unless your in full compression that is.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 01:58:05 PM »
You need to be in VR mode when you map your controllers for VR. The game uses different controller setups for VR and monitor play.

There are two radio voice options, Channel (T) and Range (F11). Channel can be tuned to players, squads, or select radio channels, Range is always tuned to local players on your side.

Offline ATD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 05:14:44 AM »
Thank you to all who have replied, especially those in detail. My delay in responding is due to working on the various issues myself in the meantime. I am left with the following outstanding issues (not related to the previous numbering), the first of which being clearly the most important!

1 The programme is frequently clearing the controller settings. This is even happening during flight, so everything becomes unresponsive. I suppose a ticket or something will have to be raised with AH because this is absolutely insane. Others have reported similar behaviour but it doesn’t seem to have been fixed properly / at all. Obviously is an issue that would force me to go elsewhere!

2 I still haven’t seen a slip indicator, at least not of the ball type, and the instrument panel of any aircraft I’ve tried.

3 Instruments are difficult to make out - is there a particular zoom function for this?

4 Information panels are intrusive - can they be toggled on and off the way that damage can? With my setup, it’s not easy to move the panels around using the mouse.

5 Elevator and aileron trim are cool; the rudder however mainly seems to take care of itself – do folks usually bother with this?

6 Yes, Steam works but the AH3 programme would never run directly for me under Windows 10 64 bit. That I ended up in Steam.

As others have experienced and noted, VR is a wonderfully immersive flying experience. I will compare it to my flight in a Spitfire later this year. Voice attack is really useful, especially in my case for being able to do a mouse click without the mouse.

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 10:56:49 AM »
1. I've never had this issue so can't speak to it personally, but I have heard changing the control files to read only has helped some.

2. what aircraft are you flying? most have a small slip indicator just below the sight as well as one somewhere on the instrument panel. each aircraft has the panel slip indicator in a different spot, as they are IRL. a few like the spit use a 2 needle turn and bank instead of the ball type.

3. there is a vr zoom function that can be assigned to a button (zoom toggle I believe). depending on what vr headset you have and how powerful your rig is there are other ways to help clear up the instruments a bit by playing around with vr settings. newest headsets like the reverb g2 the instruments are easily viewable.

4. you can move the info panels (message window, comms, damage, etc) by going to settings -> Preferences -> GUI and just click and drag the boxes. you only have to do it once and it will stay where you put it. I don't know if there is a way to completely toggle them off and on.

5. I only use manual trim when compressed, elevator trim up can help recover. otherwise I just use combat trim. I know some guys will use manual trim in a fight. Never used rudder trim.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline ATD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 11:59:14 AM »
Good replies, thanks Rocco.

1 I was going to do this but it is a pain if still tweaking the setup. It's a really silly problem that simply should not exist.

2 Only looked at Spit and Hurricane closely and am unfamiliar with needle type, so between that and some lack of VR clarity maybe I need to look again.

3 There are various zoom options but I'm unsure as to which one does what. I would probably have resolved it by now if it wasn't for the system "irretrievably saving" my settings.

4 That's good to know how it is done.

5 I'm used to having to trim real aircraft so it adds to the authenticity of the experience.

No response from HiTech yet.  Thanks again.

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 02:03:06 PM »
Yeah I agree it's enough of an issue there should be a better solution.

the Spit and Hurri both have the needle type turn and bank, they're both in the bottom right of the centre 6 pack. works the same as the bubble ones, it's just a needle on the bottom instead. check image below, it's under the VSI. they both also have small bubble slip indicator just under the sights but they might be hard to see with some headsets. Not realistic but helps to compensate for the lack of seat of the pants feel.

Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline ATD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 02:46:21 PM »
Thanks again. That screenshot is a lot more realistic than my GPU produces.  ; )

It's the slip /skid ball that is my focus. The instruments will receive further scrutiny then. Perhaps it will be clearer if the zoom works out. I have lost a bit of momentum lately due to all the settings clearing issues.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 03:00:02 PM »
Are you resetting them in a plane, or in the tower?  I had some issues with them clearing out seemingly randomly, but in hindsight I think when they would clear, I might've been doing them in cockpit.  Doing it in the tower may have let them stick.  For whatever reason it stopped happening to me.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline ATD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 03:08:34 PM »
Yes, it's odd that settings are accessible from different locations within the system - not a good strategy for coding or the user interface.

I will log what is happening, along the lines you suggest but when the system is capable of clearing the settings while flying there is clearly something very silly going on.

Hitech does not appear to enjoy universal approbation exactly. Their lack of response to the query I took the trouble to send does nothing to improve that.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 03:15:58 PM »
As it seems to be an issue with your setup I think you expect too much for the owner to help you figure it out

Good luck as I would like to shoot you down a few times before you possibility/probably quit

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals