Author Topic: Motion Sickness  (Read 1829 times)

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
Motion Sickness
« on: May 20, 2021, 08:48:14 PM »
Played for an hour today, got terrible motion sickness.

Was able to play fine for 1 to 2 hour sessions earlier this week.

Do others sometime get intermittent motion sickness even if you have been playing a while?

I need to fix my gunsights and found some good info. https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,400223.msg5305012.html#msg5305012 I feel like the double-vision thing is what caused it. Felt like I was crossing the Atlantic in heavy seas after I shut down AH and went to go for a short walk

Did have a good but short fight with Elvis. I had to do a defensive spiral and he got me after a bit. I wonder if that weird vertigo doing a defensive spiral caused it? What is so Golly-geen fun about VR is you can track bandits, but this was my first time in an aggressive ACM. When Elvis was on my 6 I knew I was dead, he gave me a little burst and I blew up :D

Sucks cuz all I wanted to do after work and other stuff was play VR. Now I'm nursing a beer playing World of Warcraft trying to feel not sick again lol
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Motion Sickness
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 08:55:58 PM »
It goes away once you get used to it. I remember the first time I did a barrel roll to the left and looked down. Felt like I was on a roller coaster! I just laughed. Monitor never did that! VR is the best. Can't go back now. Stick with it, it'll be fine.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 09:05:31 PM »
Having a fan blowing on you helps too.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 09:28:00 PM »
Did have a good but short fight with Elvis. I had to do a defensive spiral and he got me after a bit.

Elvis gets most people after a bit.  Usually a pretty short bit.

On topic, I have heard about VR motion sickness, but have never experienced it.

- oldman

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 09:47:59 PM »

Elvis gets most people after a bit.  Usually a pretty short bit.

On topic, I have heard about VR motion sickness, but have never experienced it.

- oldman

Do you fly/have flown in real life? Like a Cessna or something?
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 04:01:50 AM »
Svaal, are you using "Hat Switch View" buttons? If so, it takes some time to get used to that. It beats Chair Yoga and sore neck, though! Best VR implementation in Genre, BAR NON!  Eh, you are all ready screwed.....NO GOING BACK NOW...as is!  :devil :rock Awesome aint it??? :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 06:22:50 AM »
I felt it slightly when I first got into VR about 2 years ago

It went away quickly

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 11:21:01 AM »
Do you fly/have flown in real life? Like a Cessna or something?

Yes.  Very infrequently I'll feel mildly queasy; I think most pilots do, unless they fly all the time (looks sideways at Puma44).  Hasn't happened to me in VR, though.

- oldman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 12:16:33 PM »
I haven't had motion sickness in VR at all in this game.  The only time I ever experienced it was playing an FPS a couple years ago that I was moving quickly through.  It came on fast and hard, and I almost painted a picasso on the floor.  It took me hours before my equilibrium felt right.

So glad that wasn't the case in AH.  I attribute it to my brain being used to the cockpit perspective for years on the monitor it just adapted quickly.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 12:24:07 PM »
The brain will adapt to VR with continued exposure.  As soon as you begin to feel nauseous, stop until you feel better.  Offline practice and the main arena tend to be fairly easy on the stomach.  You know you are over the motion sickness when you can fly Monday Night Madness repeatedly in high turning aircraft.  I also found taking a sip or two of club soda while flying helped.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 01:09:13 PM »

Yes.  Very infrequently I'll feel mildly queasy; I think most pilots do, unless they fly all the time (looks sideways at Puma44).  Hasn't happened to me in VR, though.

- oldman

Okay cool, I thought I remember asking you :) Was wondering if real flight doing like a weird ACM makes you feel similar in VR doing a weird ACM.

Maybe the head yanking caused it - I use the hatswitch but I literally lost sight of Elvis and was cranking my neck around trying to check all my angles like it owed me money lol.

Also, VR is  unreal. I feel like I have so much room to lounge around in the p47 cockpit, but the 109 and other fighters feel like im in the fetal position lol

Edit: thanks for everyone's replies, I plan to be in VR again tonight! If you do see me auger into a tree, I'm probalby in VR... been having a nasty habit of doing that while in VR lately :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 01:19:03 PM by svaalbar »

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 01:27:53 PM »
The replication of cockpits is great. The 109 cockpit is very cramped. You have to go to the training arena and jump a keep off the 20k base. Do this a few times..
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2021, 01:31:01 PM »
The replication of cockpits is great. The 109 cockpit is very cramped. You have to go to the training arena and jump a keep off the 20k base. Do this a few times..

Sounds like shock therapy :D

Also I did a 262 sortie on Wednesday that was a ton of fun. I felt like my first landing was all textbook stuff (well for me, a totally untrained noob) 120 IAS or something slow and full flaps. Landed center line runway with tons of extra runway to spare if I needed to touch and go. I felt like a real pilot for a second lol. Rooks were high in ENY so that duce was like 200+ perkies lol

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2021, 03:31:07 PM »
VR makes flying under some trees much easier

Depends on the map but got two kills the other day who were on my 6 but could not handle the low altitude

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2021, 06:58:51 PM »
Having a fan blowing on you helps too.

^ this.