Author Topic: New features in the works?  (Read 7085 times)

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
Re: New features in the works?
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2021, 02:30:06 PM »
I think you are missing his point. Attacking bases by one's self is boring for 85% of the player base. When there ain't fights, many don't show up. You are left with the 15% who are cool to play by themselves and take 25 minutes to bomb a base while they watch TV or sit in a tank, drive out to the town, and shoot buildings n such. That gets really boring. Flying to a base in hopes that one guy will roll is also boring. If the map doesn't generate action because fronts are too big, that's a problem and it shows in the #s for most of the day. Playing on bowlMA during the day is about like watching grass grow. If there is no path to action, people don't have any incentive to roll at a random base in hopes they will find someone. Rolling at a base that is being attacked by 1 P51D who more than likely won't fight you. IMO, it's one of the biggest issues with player #s right now. Where do new people roll on the map to have fun  and engage with the enemy.

Boring or can't accept failure if the capture doesn't succeed?  :x

Just kidding man  :cheers: You know back in the day I was ignorant to your stances but I get it. I had to train myself long ago to accept the time investments required for what I do. I wish I knew how to watch TV or do something else on those runs. I guess too many times coming back and out of position by 20-50 miles I got tired of the inefficiency and so I just sit there every sortie.

When I'm not in the mood for that I always up 17s and bring the fight to me. I understand I am rare in terms of generating action and not in the boasting way. I just adjusted to how it is in the game and to this day enjoy the dead times as much as the busy.

But in a 3d game fugi you have always been 1 dimensional and so it's hard to get players like yourself to understand that:
1) in 2021 its still same ol same old and will never change.
2) 66.666% of the time your only gonna fight with an advantage and with numbers so how does that help create action?
3) the maps we got are the maps we get and it's not gonna change. There are good maps that have been submitted that aren't in rotation. HT has his way and whether one agrees with it or not nothing changes unless something is out of balance. That is a good thing.. Simply having to travel far for a fight is usually because bases were taken. If you want closer engagements you got to put in the work to get your bases back.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 02:39:52 PM by mERv »
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2021, 03:04:26 PM »
I think you are missing his point. Attacking bases by one's self is boring for 85% of the player base. When there ain't fights, many don't show up. You are left with the 15% who are cool to play by themselves and take 25 minutes to bomb a base while they watch TV or sit in a tank,

actually it's the opposite 85% of players like to take bases by themselves.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2021, 04:08:33 PM »
Boring or can't accept failure if the capture doesn't succeed?  :x

Just kidding man  :cheers: You know back in the day I was ignorant to your stances but I get it. I had to train myself long ago to accept the time investments required for what I do. I wish I knew how to watch TV or do something else on those runs. I guess too many times coming back and out of position by 20-50 miles I got tired of the inefficiency and so I just sit there every sortie.

When I'm not in the mood for that I always up 17s and bring the fight to me. I understand I am rare in terms of generating action and not in the boasting way. I just adjusted to how it is in the game and to this day enjoy the dead times as much as the busy.

But in a 3d game fugi you have always been 1 dimensional and so it's hard to get players like yourself to understand that:
1) in 2021 its still same ol same old and will never change.
2) 66.666% of the time your only gonna fight with an advantage and with numbers so how does that help create action?
3) the maps we got are the maps we get and it's not gonna change. There are good maps that have been submitted that aren't in rotation. HT has his way and whether one agrees with it or not nothing changes unless something is out of balance. That is a good thing.. Simply having to travel far for a fight is usually because bases were taken. If you want closer engagements you got to put in the work to get your bases back.

I dont know why you called me out here, but Im anything BUT 1 dimensional. I like fights ever or being the underdog, not real crazy about furballs as that is mostly "pickin'" but will indulge  :devil Im pretty good in bombers both level and dive bombing, and attack mode is always used. I dont GV much because I just cant find them suckers!  :eek:

Im hoping you were referring to "DmonSlyr". I think the guys that focus on only the "fighter" element of the gam ...as in DmonSlyr, Eagler and so are the ones finding the issues that bother them most. The rest, like me I think cant find a fight will jump in a buff, or GV so the "fun" continues. Would I rather be in a fighter slugging it out with other fighters? Sure, but if that isnt there there are other things to do. Unfortunately for those fighter guys, "other things to do" often means going to play some other game which just makes things worst.   

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2021, 04:49:25 PM »
  :headscratch: What put you in a bad mood AckAck? I'm trying to see it but it must be from a different thread.

Kind of wondering why I got the response I did.. lol

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2021, 07:34:21 PM »

3) the maps we got are the maps we get and it's not gonna change.

And that's precisely why we haven't achieved 200 players in the arena in some time.

It's not about being 1 dimensional. Some people like me only have an hour to play when they get a chance. I'm not gonna sit there and fly 4 sectors in a bombers, or attack fields by myself, especially with ack the way it is. So many times I've flown 7-10 minutes to a field, dropped my ord on the VH or something and 2 pings later from ack I'm back in the tower. Its just boring to me. I've bombed and jabboed for years in this game. I just dont have time for that much anymore.

It's very ignorant for yall to say that big battles and huge fights aren't want most of the people want. You get that by having maps that make sense for the current #s. I want all types of gameplay to be going on in these big battles. Not individuals scattered all over the map flying around aimlessly hoping they might or might not see someone. It's just stupid.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2021, 08:00:49 PM »
And that's precisely why we haven't achieved 200 players in the arena in some time.

No it's not.  There are a myriad of reasons why we no longer have the subscription based numbers we used to have in the past.  Your claim is your claim alone, without any metrics to support it.  Someone can make a map that tailors to your dream on how a map should be and the issue of low numbers will still exist.  New or redesigned maps will not be the "hook" to keep new and returning players playing, especially new players.  Nor will the maps be the savior of AH and cause a dramatic rise in active player subscriptions. 

Adding the Vulkan API is the step in the right direction and as I mentioned, will be far more beneficial in both the short and long term for the game.  It will help those that for whatever reason have performance issues, especially frame rate issues with DirectX.  In a lot of games like Red Dead Redeption 2, players having FPS issues with the DX12 version of RDR2, the Vulkan version had better FPS performance.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2021, 08:18:30 PM »
Oh god I didn't know there was a plane uglier than the Brewster or I-16 lol
:rofl :rofl :rofl
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2021, 10:12:54 PM »
No it's not.  There are a myriad of reasons why we no longer have the subscription based numbers we used to have in the past.  Your claim is your claim alone, without any metrics to support it.  Someone can make a map that tailors to your dream on how a map should be and the issue of low numbers will still exist.  New or redesigned maps will not be the "hook" to keep new and returning players playing, especially new players.  Nor will the maps be the savior of AH and cause a dramatic rise in active player subscriptions. 

Adding the Vulkan API is the step in the right direction and as I mentioned, will be far more beneficial in both the short and long term for the game.  It will help those that for whatever reason have performance issues, especially frame rate issues with DirectX.  In a lot of games like Red Dead Redeption 2, players having FPS issues with the DX12 version of RDR2, the Vulkan version had better FPS performance.

🤦‍♂️

I'm not saying Vulkan wouldn't be a good thing. Glad you explained it a bit.

But you are entirely wrong about maps and some of them are creating very poor gameplay, so regardless of better fps speed, it's still turning into a snooze fest due to fight density.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2021, 10:53:16 PM »
🤦‍♂️

I'm not saying Vulkan wouldn't be a good thing. Glad you explained it a bit.

But you are entirely wrong about maps and some of them are creating very poor gameplay, so regardless of better fps speed, it's still turning into a snooze fest due to fight density.

Prove it.  Show the metrics that back your claim. 

Poor game play is moot if the new player quits within the first 20 minutes of creating an account.  It's not the maps, they rarely even get that far in the game.  Performance issues, difficulty in setting up controls, etc., terrible GUI are the main culprits. 

But I am sure with your vast expertise in game design and development,  you will be able to show HiTech how it should be done and rescue this game from oblivion and show us to the Promised Land.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2021, 11:32:32 PM »
Ack-Ack are you a software engineer?
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2021, 01:39:12 AM »
The flames grow strong in this thread :x :aok :bolt:
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2021, 02:45:05 AM »
Just tired of constant grumpiness and cranky old farts. Age is not an excuse. Smoke some weed or read some philosophy books for christs sake.

Enjoy the chaotic anarchy that is AH.

Just pissed we haven't had Kenai's or KONG's new maps, despite some popular opinions.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 02:47:05 AM by svaalbar »
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2021, 07:10:35 AM »

Poor game play is moot if the new player quits within the first 20 minutes of creating an account.  It's not the maps, they rarely even get that far in the game.  Performance issues, difficulty in setting up controls, etc., terrible GUI are the main culprits. 

But I am sure with your vast expertise in game design and development,  you will be able to show HiTech how it should be done and rescue this game from oblivion and show us to the Promised Land.

Winner winner chicken dinner

Chuikov

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2021, 09:14:48 AM »

Just look at the weekend #s when BowlMA, Mindnao, Buzzsaw, and CraterMA are up. It's glaring and obvious, especially when one side of the map doesn't have any action going on. But hey, I guess yall don't care about current subscribers leaving due to total boring gameplay with 0 action. GUI, performance, setting up controls, all of that is generally okay for long term subscribers. These longer term subscribers have left due to mostly boring gameplay on huge maps where action is hard hard find. I've already posted pics of those maps during the weekend afternoons and they are dead. It's common freaking sense. The new smaller maps with shorter base distance generate better fights and that's what people want.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2021, 10:54:19 AM »
Ack-Ack are you a software engineer?

He has worked for CH products and a number of gaming software companies, in what type of position I dont know, but does that really matter?

Ack-Ack does have a point however. EVERYTHING DmonSlyr posts is his OPINION and nothing, nothing more. DmonSlyr is also a bit jaded as his entire point of view is from a "fighters" stand point. There is a lot more to this game than just dog fighting. Ignoring the other views is foolish. While he has a hard time finding any fights, many others are rolling bases, hitting strats or spawn camping the their hearts content.

I too would love to see the new maps. I dont know who does the testing on them but I remember Bustr going over his for hours and hours testing spawns and looking for issue both from the air and the ground. So I dont know what more needs to be done. Hitech seems to be the type of guy that once on a project he finishes it before moving on to something else. So my guess is we will see the Vulkan out come before we see new maps.