Author Topic: Lt. John Ellis - F-6D/P-51D "Pride of the Bluegrass" (ZM*D) - 10th PRG, 12th TRS  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thanks to Lyric1 for his research on this one.   It was INVALUABLE as always.  Also thanks to the usual crowd (Devil, Greebo, FTJR, Oboe, etc.) for the assistance and feedback offline.  As always, a hat tip to Oboe for his outstanding pilot figure.  This should be the default.   It's first rate.

___

P-51D-10-NA (F-6D), s/n  44-14735
"Pride of the Bluegrass - ZM*D
Lt. John Ragan "Red"/"Ace" Ellis
10th PRG, 12th TRS
Fürth, Germany, May 1945

This is Lieutenant John Ragan "Red"/"Ace" Ellis' F-6D-10-NA Mustang (s/n  44-14735) "Pride of the Bluegrass" coded ZM*D of the 10th Photo Reconnaissance Group, 12 Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron.  Lieutenant Ellis was assigned to this aircraft after his previous mount, an F-6C, crashed.   He was credited with two victories, one each on 5 and 9 April 1945, and one damaged.   He went on to a lengthy career in the Air Force flying T-33s, F-80s, and F-89s among others, passing away in 2007.   

The F-6D was an armed photographic reconnaissance version of the P-51D Mustang with more than half a dozen different camera installations each possessing varying capabilities (compare this one with Clyde East's F-6D* for example).  The aircraft is depicted as it was in May 1945 while flying out of Fürth, Germany with Lloyd Hoobery's nose art showing a zoot suit-clad Kentucky Colonel jitterbugging (Kentucky is known as the Bluegrass State).

The 12th TRS, equipped with the RF-4C Phantom, was the last dedicated regular USAF recce squadron before it was inactivated on 30 September 1993.

__

* https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,401318.0.html

Click to enlarge.

Offsite images:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 06:02:52 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Nice one.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thank you, my friend.    :salute
”KILLER V”

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Very nice V.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thank you, sir.    :salute
”KILLER V”

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Is the white in the checker-board pattern on the nose suppose to have a yellow hue to it?  :headscratch:  In the 2nd screenie, I'm seeing a yellow hue in the white on the nose.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Is the white in the checker-board pattern on the nose suppose to have a yellow hue to it?  :headscratch:  In the 2nd screenie, I'm seeing a yellow hue in the white on the nose.

Might be more to do with lighting than anything.  However, when you dial back the white so it isn't too stark I think the colors around it have a bit more influence over things than they otherwise would.   Also the dirt layer over the top of the skin may add a touch of brown/tan to everything.  That's my guess as to what you are seeing.

”KILLER V”

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Nice job V
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
”KILLER V”

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Might be more to do with lighting than anything.  However, when you dial back the white so it isn't too stark I think the colors around it have a bit more influence over things than they otherwise would.   Also the dirt layer over the top of the skin may add a touch of brown/tan to everything.  That's my guess as to what you are seeing.

Ah, gotcha.  :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Great job Vraciu, looks really good.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Have t seen yellow and white checkers before,  very nice!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thank you, guys. 

W, I had not either, which is why I had to do this one when I stumbled across it.   Just a strange, unique combo of colors PLUS the recce equipment.   I figured why not.   I may do a RAF or RAAF bird one of these days, but I think I'm done with the D Mustang unless I happen upon something weird like this.  Semp says we have givien him too many choices and it is frying his brain.  Lol

”KILLER V”

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Thank you, guys. 

W, I had not either, which is why I had to do this one when I stumbled across it.   Just a strange, unique combo of colors PLUS the recce equipment.   I figured why not.   I may do a RAF or RAAF bird one of these days, but I think I'm done with the D Mustang unless I happen upon something weird like this.  Semp says we have givien him too many choices and it is frying his brain.  Lol

:rofl

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.