Author Topic: Incompatible Program Windows 10  (Read 929 times)

Offline breadroll

• Zinc Member
      • Mach One Manuals
Incompatible Program Windows 10
« on: May 29, 2021, 03:46:50 AM »
Hi all,

I have just tried re-installing the game on a laptop that used to run the game well, and now it refuses to start and claims the program is incompatible with Windoows 10.

Has anyone else had this issue come up?

Thanks!
Proudly Aussie Member of the Raw Prawns

Owner of Mach One Manuals - Aircraft Manuals From The Dawn Of Aviation To The Present Day

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Incompatible Program Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 10:34:52 AM »
The game runs fine on windows 10. Maybe show us the first third of a Dxdiag report from your laptop. You dont say how long ago the game ran on the laptop. There have been changes so maybe your laptop just cant handle it any more. The Dxdiag report will show us what you have for hardware and the gurus here and pick apart what may be the issue. If not your laptop, some setting you could check and so on.

The more information you can give the more help you can get, and welcome back!

Offline breadroll

• Zinc Member
      • Mach One Manuals
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 01:20:27 AM »
I am an active though infrequent player for the last 15+ years with the Raw Prawns (breadrol). The laptop was being used in the last 12 months until it threw a hissyfit and required a full formatting and re-installation of Windows 10. I was playing the game on another machine, that works just fine. I just get better performance from the laptop, so I was surprised when I couldn't get it to start.

Dxdiag attached.

Owner of Mach One Manuals - Aircraft Manuals From The Dawn Of Aviation To The Present Day

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 03:09:12 AM »
I am an active though infrequent player for the last 15+ years with the Raw Prawns (breadrol). The laptop was being used in the last 12 months until it threw a hissyfit and required a full formatting and re-installation of Windows 10. I was playing the game on another machine, that works just fine. I just get better performance from the laptop, so I was surprised when I couldn't get it to start.

Dxdiag attached.

Make sure that you have all the latest updates for W10 and the current version of DirectX installed (DirectX 12) and the latest video drivers for the VC on your laptop.  Make sure the video drivers are for the ones for mobile devices (i.e. laptops), as the drivers do differ from PC desktop drivers. It may help to run the W10 troubleshooter app to see if there any issues that may need to be fixed by Windows.

I would then do a complete uninstall of Aces High and reinstall.

*EDIT: I just saw that your laptop has an integrated Intel video card as well as a mobile Nvidia VC.  It looks like the Intel graphics chip is enabled as your primary video card.  You should be able to select the Nvidea graphics chip as the primary in Windows.  Unfortunately I'm not familiar with that process.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 03:14:35 AM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline breadroll

• Zinc Member
      • Mach One Manuals
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 05:49:33 AM »
Done all that, and all the W10 Troubleshooter tells me it is an "Incompatible program".

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 06:50:11 AM »
Have you already tried my go-to trick: Keep Shift pushed when clicking Shutdown to shut down Windows, then a normal start and check if the issue is gone?

After that, if that doesn't do the trick, "sfc /scannow" in either the Command Prompt or Power Shell (admin versions).
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline breadroll

• Zinc Member
      • Mach One Manuals
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 07:53:15 AM »
Tried both and no change. There were no issues reported during the scan.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 08:01:06 AM »
Can you run it in compatibility mode for a different version of windows?
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 08:28:54 AM »
It just popped into my mind: Although the DxDiag says it's Windows 10 Home edition, could it be that for some reason you've got the "S" version of Windows somehow? Settings-System-About
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline breadroll

• Zinc Member
      • Mach One Manuals
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 08:34:40 AM »
Won't run in compatibility mode for W8 or W7.

Can't see anything about Windows 10 S. Screenshot attached.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 09:56:51 AM »
Are there any yellow triangles in your Device Manager?

Another thing to try is to run DDU to clean any Nvidia drivers and install the latest ones after that.

If that fails, create another user profile and try that.

If that fails, a fresh clean reinstall might be needed. Also, since you said the laptop worked fine until throwing a hissyfit, it's possible that something simply fried and won't accept certain things. The nicest option in such a case is a failing hard disk, easy and inexpensive to replace.

Have you tried installing other games?

Kotisivuni

Offline breadroll

• Zinc Member
      • Mach One Manuals
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 06:07:34 PM »
Are there any yellow triangles in your Device Manager?

Another thing to try is to run DDU to clean any Nvidia drivers and install the latest ones after that.

If that fails, create another user profile and try that.

If that fails, a fresh clean reinstall might be needed. Also, since you said the laptop worked fine until throwing a hissyfit, it's possible that something simply fried and won't accept certain things. The nicest option in such a case is a failing hard disk, easy and inexpensive to replace.

Have you tried installing other games?

No yellow flags, tried DDU and creating a new profile, no joy.

I am running X-Plane, and all my photography and design software with no issues (Lightroom, Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 08:22:36 PM »
Which integrated video chip are you're currently using?  Do you have the Intel chip set as the current primary or the Nvidia chip.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline breadroll

• Zinc Member
      • Mach One Manuals
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 06:31:23 PM »
Which integrated video chip are you're currently using?  Do you have the Intel chip set as the current primary or the Nvidia chip.

I'm running a GE840M, and I have to run the game with the Nvidia chip as the framerate is too low.