Author Topic: New Poster, old flier  (Read 9328 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: New Poster, old flier
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2021, 06:27:13 PM »
As soon as someone starts paying some other, then that other will go around the world beating others into submission to subscribe and play

What else do you want done?  A complete reboot of the game so people play when you want

As far as games like this, we are going on the 5th decade...  think about that for a few minutes

Everything moves up and down as time passes

I am not here posting to agree/ disagree/ or debate...

TC

I don't think he's looking for a revamp of the game. He'd like to see some of the larger and very slow moving maps be pulled for now. With the lower numbers it seems some of the maps never hit that point where the numbers generate action over a large scale.

Some of the smaller maps blast through and are only up for hours. Either it got a bunch of action, or everyones on one team milking the win.

The real big 512 maps were removed because they were too big for the numbers we had playing. I thinks its time to move a few more maps out of the rotation so as to not get caught with one of those big. slow maps that lasts for days.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2021, 06:31:27 PM »
I don't think he's looking for a revamp of the game. He'd like to see some of the larger and very slow moving maps be pulled for now. With the lower numbers it seems some of the maps never hit that point where the numbers generate action over a large scale.

Some of the smaller maps blast through and are only up for hours. Either it got a bunch of action, or everyones on one team milking the win.

The real big 512 maps were removed because they were too big for the numbers we had playing. I thinks its time to move a few more maps out of the rotation so as to not get caught with one of those big. slow maps that lasts for days.

I'm going to point my previous post out to you, so I don't confuse anyone else

I recall a time in AW FR, when less than 9 were online, yet we all still had a blast

But you have to align the numbers, the map size and the decade..

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2021, 06:33:51 PM »
There was a new map made not long ago... North-co...or something like that.... I have managed to see this map 4 times... it is a great map for low numbers.... I am picking it would get rolled quickly when there are higher numbers...but maps like that with the small numbers is cool...but as noted...probably too small for general game time.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2021, 06:39:46 PM »
and then the new version came out and those that couldn't or didn't want to get a newer PC had to leave

Which actually had been very few players. The system requirements for AH3 where quite low even for 2017. The decline of  player numbers had been a very steady one up to AH3 and was notably slower, if not even halted, after Ah3 was published.
So while AH3 was a disappointment for all who had high hopes in getting AH back to former glory, it seems to have extended this games lifespan considerably.

By the way the decline started around 2009, in late 2015 the numbers had dropped so far that I stopped playing regularly because of the resulting gameplay issues in my timezone.

For some quick numbers: In 2001 the game had like 2000-2500 'scoring' pilots per tour, the first golden age of AH1 saw 5000+ in 2003/2004, I joined at 4000-4500 pilots per tour in late 2005.
AH peak was around 2007-2009 at 6000+ per tour. In late 2015 (when ended my regular subscription) it was down to 2000. Nowadays, its almost stable for two years at slightly over 1000 scoring pilots.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2021, 06:43:00 PM »
I'm going to point my previous post out to you, so I don't confuse anyone else

Hope this helps

TC

AW was a different. A great night was 50 players. Most nights less. Also it was all about fighting there, unlike what we have here.

We are spoiled in that we know what it could be because it once was booming and even the big maps were rolled. Face it, we have much smaller numbers these days and the maps need to be adjusted. We know its a fix because Hitech has done it before. Thats all DmonSlyr is asking for, is look at the numbers as they relate to players login in/off compared to the maps.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2021, 06:46:31 PM »
I guess you didn't  notice what I put in bold and underlined when I pointed you towards my earlier post
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2021, 06:47:33 PM »
Which actually had been very few players. The system requirements for AH3 where quite low even for 2017. The decline of  player numbers had been a very steady one up to AH3 and was notably slower, if not even halted, after Ah3 was published.
So while AH3 was a disappointment for all who had high hopes in getting AH back to former glory, it seems to have extended this games lifespan considerably.

By the way the decline started around 2009, in late 2015 the numbers had dropped so far that I stopped playing regularly because of the resulting gameplay issues in my timezone.

For some quick numbers: In 2001 the game had like 2000-2500 'scoring' pilots per tour, the first golden age of AH1 saw 5000+ in 2003/2004, I joined at 4000-4500 pilots per tour in late 2005.
AH peak was around 2007-2009 at 6000+ per tour. In late 2015 (when ended my regular subscription) it was down to 2000. Nowadays, its almost stable for two years at slightly over 1000 scoring pilots.

Thanks for the feedback/ follow up

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2021, 07:10:56 PM »

Snip

It's about time you turned up....  :D

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2021, 07:12:24 PM »
Fugitive,  when I started playing AH, only 5 others were logged in, in 1999...

NB, Lonz, HiTech, Pyro and Nomde..

TC

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2021, 07:23:47 PM »
Both Kenai77 and another guy I'm forgetting made some awesome small maps. We've been asking for months for them to be put into the rotation. Even if for just a week or so.
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2021, 07:40:07 PM »
I recall a time in AW FR, when less than 9 were online, yet we all still had a blast

Or less than four.  If you can find people who want to fight, it doesn't take a massive crowd to have a good time.

- oldman

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2021, 07:42:34 PM »

AW was a different. A great night was 50 players. Most nights less. Also it was all about fighting there, unlike what we have here.

We are spoiled in that we know what it could be because it once was booming and even the big maps were rolled. Face it, we have much smaller numbers these days and the maps need to be adjusted. We know its a fix because Hitech has done it before. Thats all DmonSlyr is asking for, is look at the numbers as they relate to players login in/off compared to the maps.

Yes, exactly this. Sure the fight is great fun with 20 players on a very tiny H2H map or one like in AvA now. 20 players in there and you have a super blast.

I'm not saying MA maps need to be that small. But 20 players on BowlMA at 12pm est is not good for the game. It means there are no fights for me and that means I have to go play another game. I bet this is true for so many others. These smaller newer maps with closer bases create better fights at 12PM est which brings more #s into the fight and thus the game because the fight is saturated due to smaller fronts. This is what people want and I'll prove that.

I understand that smaller maps get rolled more quickly, however, they still provide better saturated fights which attract more players, so going from small short distance base maps to small short distance base maps continues the ability for players to find fights outside of prime time. Also, it prevents certain maps from taking over the entire weekend while providing poor fights for most of the day like bowlMA and buzzsaw.

And just to say, in the last few months of playing on the weekends. I have yet to play on many of the maps because it's either bowlMA or some other old school map that doesn't get won as easily. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 07:49:55 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2021, 07:55:19 PM »
I still wouldnt mind seeing a simple AH1 arena for those that have lesser then optimum machines. Might bring some numbers back
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2021, 08:54:53 PM »
Fugitive,  when I started playing AH, only 5 others were logged in, in 1999...

NB, Lonz, HiTech, Pyro and Nomde..

TC

Again, a different time, different circumstances. The only thing that was the same between then and now is, it was AH.

The game we play now is so much more and in the early 2000s going by Lusches numbers, was even more than we have today.

How big was the map back then? I'll bet it was like "sfma", "beta" map was use to have. Small maps that condensed the action, unlike the large maps that we have now that spread the action out, of allow players to spread out too much and avoid running into enemy.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2021, 09:14:59 PM »
Again, a different time, different circumstances. The only thing that was the same between then and now is, it was AH.

The game we play now is so much more and in the early 2000s going by Lusches numbers, was even more than we have today.

How big was the map back then? I'll bet it was like "sfma", "beta" map was use to have. Small maps that condensed the action, unlike the large maps that we have now that spread the action out, of allow players to spread out too much and avoid running into enemy.

Whew.......lol

You are not interpreting or understanding what I posted

Guess I'll start drinking for the rest of the night