Author Topic: Can there be a B-17 skin made for the 452nd Bomb Group, 3rd Bombardment Division  (Read 543 times)

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Knob from the Dickweeds is requesting the 452nd Bomb Group of the 3rd Bombardment Division. Is there a way it could be done?
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
It can be done.

Natural metal or olive drab finish?    Do you have any particular aircraft in mind?   Is there a certain time frame it is needed by?

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
No, he flys on Tuesday nights and knows his history. Just was asking if it can be done. If both could be done potentially.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Gotcha.  There are plenty of skin slots open for the B-17G, and any of the current group of skinners could do an outstanding job of creating a new skin for the B-17G.   I think I may be the most recent skinner to have done a B-17.

There's a famous B-17 from the 452nd called "E-Rat-Icator".  She flew 125 missions with the group and was the only original Fort issued to the group that survived the War.   Knob, as a history buff with an interest in the 452nd BG, may know more about her.

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
Oboe if you could make that skin Knob would love it

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
I'll add her to my list.   Can you give me a little background info about Knob?  I don't recognize the handle, how old is he, how long has he been in game, and what's his connection or interest to the 452nd BG?   Just curious.

Here's a screenshot with a couple of photos of it, along with a skin from another sim (IL-2 I assume, not sure).

Later in the War, the 8thAF's bomber groups started employing color-coded wing and tail stripes to aid recognition.  Here's a painting I found of her with those stripes:

She saw alot of action and apparently had many parts and panels replaced to keep her airworthy:

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
knob has been in the game for years with the Dickweeds Heavy Bomber Group who flew under Vega, and a marine. The connection is more of that the 452nd BG 3rd BD isn't in game with their proper insignia which was the triangle I believe don't quote me, but he knows his 8 AF bomber units pretty much. That's what the connection is.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Thanks LNG - always like to do something special for the vets!

I found this info:
https://military.wikia.org/wiki/USAAF_unit_identification_aircraft_markings#8AF_group_letter_identifiers

So, the 8th AF's 3rd Air Division's tail symbol was a Square, and the 452ndBG was identified with the letter 'L'.

<S>!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
WIP

« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 08:40:59 AM by oboe »