Author Topic: Idea about changing starting conditions after MA map reset, to facilitate fights  (Read 1489 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
What if, at the beginning of a new map, bases were randomly assigned (similar to the random start variation in the game "Risk").   A country retains its primary large airbases near its own strats, but for all other fields, initial ownership is randomly assigned.   I did a BB search to see if this idea had been proposed before (it probably has) but didn't find any threads discussing it.

I think this might encourage a free-for-all phase at the beginning of each new map, with teams frantically trying to consolidate a buffer zone of bases around their strats for protection, while simultaneously trying to exploit advantageous positions near other countries' starts.   This might create a bunch of small fights all across the map.   There would be dozens of fronts all across the map, rather than just 3.   

It might also counter the disadvantage of large maps when the arena population is small.

Thoughts?

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
As a auto switcher most the time I'd find this interesting, maybe more targets in strange places and the panic of some on country channel.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
I think as an idea that has not been tried yet, it should be.

I think bases haphazardly assigned at the start would definitely increase the fights and might help the larger  maps

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
"There would be dozens of fronts all across the map, rather than just 3."

Given the current state of gameplay, this would probably just facilitate multiple attacks on undefended fields, rather than fights.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
What if, at the beginning of a new map, bases were randomly assigned (similar to the random start variation in the game "Risk").   A country retains its primary large airbases near its own strats, but for all other fields, initial ownership is randomly assigned.   I did a BB search to see if this idea had been proposed before (it probably has) but didn't find any threads discussing it.

I think this might encourage a free-for-all phase at the beginning of each new map, with teams frantically trying to consolidate a buffer zone of bases around their strats for protection, while simultaneously trying to exploit advantageous positions near other countries' starts.   This might create a bunch of small fights all across the map.   There would be dozens of fronts all across the map, rather than just 3.   

It might also counter the disadvantage of large maps when the arena population is small.

Thoughts?

At one time Hitech had told me that he didn't want initial state fragmentation. 
At the time, he said that each countries initial base ownership should form a contiguous mass as if it were it's national borders.

Maybe that's changed.  I dunno.

$0.02.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member

Wouldn't work. The current practice of double teaming a country, would make it impossible.

Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member

Wouldn't work. The current practice of double teaming a country, would make it impossible.

Many Knights and Rooks think that both taking (sometimes up to) 35% of Bish bases is entertainment and punishment for Bishops rolling maps in the early morning when the #’s are quite lopsided. I’ve heard it said by many players that want to continue taking Bish bases well after 25%.

Problem is the early morning Bishops have logged off...

It would be interesting to see how this idea plays out. Why not? It can always be changed back if it’s rather disliked by the majority.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 04:51:47 PM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
At one time Hitech had told me that he didn't want initial state fragmentation. 
At the time, he said that each countries initial base ownership should form a contiguous mass as if it were it's national borders.

Maybe that's changed.  I dunno.

$0.02.

You are correct,  CptTrips...that is dang near exactly how hitech explained/ said it

But it is still an interesting idea to consider and ponder over to see what might shake out in this day and age

Just saying

<S>   cheers

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
I like this idea...Will it be implemented... no

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
worth a crack I reckon... I logged on last night to a map that had change 4 hours prior... 9 players 153 bases ..only action was a couple of Gvers taking all the gv bases and Not worth even upping as I die before i can even see these two ... oh there were bombers floating about prepping for the morning crews... ened up watching Youtube for an hour till some real base take attempts were happening

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
It would create more opportunities for 3 country furballs....

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
this was proposed many years ago.  hitech just made away that people would just take the bases closest to their base and pretty soon the lines would be like they are now when map resets.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Also you are not considering strat and hq.

HiTech

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Those objectives would just simplify what bases needed to be taken 1st

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals