Author Topic: Suggestion  (Read 829 times)

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
Suggestion
« on: July 30, 2021, 02:53:22 PM »
Hi

After a few sorties today without finding a fight, inspiration struck.

I know other factors were involved, but my feeling was that the main reason I couldn't find a fight was the large map and small number of players.

I know some of the big maps are very nice, some are very popular and at peak times they are perfect. But at off peak times, not so much.

I know we have a good range of maps that cycle and the change is triggered by winning the war. But what if the pool of maps that could cycle in was different at different times of the day so that at peak times the pool would contain predominantly larger maps and at off peak times smaller ones.

I know smaller maps has already been suggested, but not sure if anyone has suggested using a different pool of maps at different times of the day before.

I'm guessing that no one thing will solve the problem, and a combined strategy would be needed, but I think this might at least help increase the player density and keep as many players as possible happy.

Just thinking back to AW days, small maps, high player density, tons of fun.

Just an idea... take it or leave it.

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 02:54:55 PM »
I know smaller maps has already been suggested, but not sure if anyone has suggested using a different pool of maps at different times of the day before.

Late war had a similar system years ago. Off hours and prime time arena.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 03:35:00 PM »
imagine you fight for several hours to win a map, you almost there but the map changes because there's lower numbers.  :bhead

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 04:05:21 PM »
I've come around to the easiest thing to do is just ditch the large/problem maps.  It's an attainable goal with little to no downside as far as I can tell.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 04:06:24 PM »
Whatever country is in the lead...however you calculate that..would win the map when it is pulled due to time

All maps should be setup with a max time to assist rotation and provide inspiration to the base grabbers...show a countdown clock.

Two pools sound like a great idea Badboy!

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 04:39:21 PM »
Hi

After a few sorties today without finding a fight, inspiration struck.

I know other factors were involved, but my feeling was that the main reason I couldn't find a fight was the large map and small number of players.

I know some of the big maps are very nice, some are very popular and at peak times they are perfect. But at off peak times, not so much.

I know we have a good range of maps that cycle and the change is triggered by winning the war. But what if the pool of maps that could cycle in was different at different times of the day so that at peak times the pool would contain predominantly larger maps and at off peak times smaller ones.

I'm guessing that no one thing will solve the problem, and a combined strategy would be needed, but I think this might at least help increase the player density and keep as many players as possible happy.

Just thinking back to AW days, small maps, high player density, tons of fun.

Just an idea... take it or leave it.

Badboy

Well, I've already asked for this in numerous posts. Glad others are starting to see.

How many years ago? Because I do not remember that.

I've come around to the easiest thing to do is just ditch the large/problem maps.  It's an attainable goal with little to no downside as far as I can tell.

Wiley.

Simple solutions are always the most complex it seems.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 05:41:20 PM »
imagine you fight for several hours to win a map, you almost there but the map changes because there's lower numbers.  :bhead

semp

No, I wasn't suggesting that the time of day triggers a map change, only winning the war causes the map to change, as it does now. The only thing I'm suggesting is that if the map changes at peak time, it selects from the pool of larger maps, and if it changes during an off peak time the new map comes from the pool of smaller maps.

Two additional situations are 1) what happens when you reach peak time and a small map is in play? Not a problem, with a smaller map the war will be won quickly and a larger map will replace it. 2) what happens off peak when a large map is in play? Two things, firstly during times with low numbers, you often get the worst side imbalances so one side usually rolls the map quickly anyway, then you get a smaller map. Sometimes of course there won't be enough players to win the war, but then you won't be any worse off than you are now, and based on what I see during off peak times getting stuck with a map probably won't happen often anyway.

Either way it sounds better to me than what happens now.

Regards

Badz
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 09:32:45 PM »

How many years ago? Because I do not remember that.

Vio, I remember what Lusche posted..... it happened  back a little before HTC  split the Melee Arena in to Late War Orange Arena & Late War Purple Arena (if I am remembering the colors correctly) this was pre AH2...iirc...

<S>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 09:19:10 AM »
Vio, I remember what Lusche posted..... it happened  back a little before HTC  split the Melee Arena in to Late War Orange Arena & Late War Purple Arena (if I am remembering the colors correctly) this was pre AH2...iirc...

<S>

TC

Hmm, i was here between 2005 and 2008, that never happened unless I am mistaken. The arena split was in 2008 I think. So it would have been before 2005 as I don't remember the maps being changed to smaller maps during off hours.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion