Author Topic: I know people like to talk about low numbers but...  (Read 2584 times)

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
I know people like to talk about low numbers but...
« on: August 18, 2021, 04:26:02 PM »
In my not so humble opinion this game is operating at an extremely high level of competition and strategy. I understand the disparity between the new player and vet is night and day. The learning curve too much for most to overcome. Thats an entirely different topic that has been worked over for years so I wont hit on that.

My hats off to Tyfoo and company for the pro level play earlier this morning. Simply outstanding competition and perfect execution with bare minimum players. I will summerize the hour and a half chain of events that has inspired this post. Mind you this happens all day and night, ever day and has for years in this game. Just gotta know how and where to fight. On both offense and defense.

Just after midnight CST a significant number of players on all sides had turned in for the night. I saw a window to capture two bases and decided a strat was was not needed if everything qent according to plan. I set out for the first base in Lancs and did the usual Wf/de-ack/ dar work. In the early stages Tyfoo had upped his B25h to scope what was going on. With my other account i originally had upped a goon but Tyfoo's presence forced me to bail and grab a 2nd lanc for the next base. I asked for assistance from a friend on Vox(WTG MoGas) who ended up being the difference maker. Having bailed with the first set i grabbed the goon while bombing the 2nd base. At the very last second after my troops were dropped MoGas shot down Tyfoo just before he got to the troops and the base was captured.

Immediately after I finished the work at the next base we both upped m3's before several rooks includding Tyfoo managed to launch allowing us to get close to the town and hide. Using a 3rd m3 at the spawn we distracted them as we let troops run from a distance capturing the 2nd adjacent base. For the next 45 minutes i worked towards sinking a BB of the 2nd base with 2 sets. Every 5 minutes i was in the fight of my life fending off 1 or two intercepts while adjusting for a well captained boat who was turning the ship perfectly. I eventually won the battle but this rallied the rooks to recapture the 2nd base. They quickly got the town prepped forcing me to run an m3 and defend with 17's which is extremely difficult. I managed to resup the town just before troops were dropped to a blue flag. Rooks then proceeded to shutdown the base forcing me to fly from another base. I got impaitient and bailed to try and gun down the troops hiding near flag. Of course, 2 m3's rolled up on the flag and there just arent enough bullets in a 45  :rofl :aok

A total of 5-7 players between both sides over 2 hrs was jammed pack full of action, surprise, and suspense.  Great fun and well played on both sides. You dont need swelling numbers to get the most out of AH3. Just a desire to compete and willingness to do all the right things.  :salute
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 04:31:31 PM by mERv »
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: I know people like to talk about low numbers but...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 04:56:29 PM »
I really hate tyfoo and jagpaw, can't take bases when they're around, they're like a rash that doesn't go away  :cheers:  :cheers:

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 06:25:06 PM »
I really hate tyfoo and jagpaw, can't take bases when they're around, they're like a rash that doesn't go away  :cheers:  :cheers:

semp

Au contraire. . .  .mERV, MoGas and a few others not only did it once, they did it twice last night. . . . .lol
<S> to them.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 06:27:46 PM »
In my not so humble opinion this game is operating at an extremely high level of competition and strategy. I understand the disparity between the new player and vet is night and day. The learning curve too much for most to overcome. Thats an entirely different topic that has been worked over for years so I wont hit on that.

My hats off to Tyfoo and company for the pro level play earlier this morning. Simply outstanding competition and perfect execution with bare minimum players. I will summerize the hour and a half chain of events that has inspired this post. Mind you this happens all day and night, ever day and has for years in this game. Just gotta know how and where to fight. On both offense and defense.

Just after midnight CST a significant number of players on all sides had turned in for the night. I saw a window to capture two bases and decided a strat was was not needed if everything qent according to plan. I set out for the first base in Lancs and did the usual Wf/de-ack/ dar work. In the early stages Tyfoo had upped his B25h to scope what was going on. With my other account i originally had upped a goon but Tyfoo's presence forced me to bail and grab a 2nd lanc for the next base. I asked for assistance from a friend on Vox(WTG MoGas) who ended up being the difference maker. Having bailed with the first set i grabbed the goon while bombing the 2nd base. At the very last second after my troops were dropped MoGas shot down Tyfoo just before he got to the troops and the base was captured.

Immediately after I finished the work at the next base we both upped m3's before several rooks includding Tyfoo managed to launch allowing us to get close to the town and hide. Using a 3rd m3 at the spawn we distracted them as we let troops run from a distance capturing the 2nd adjacent base. For the next 45 minutes i worked towards sinking a BB of the 2nd base with 2 sets. Every 5 minutes i was in the fight of my life fending off 1 or two intercepts while adjusting for a well captained boat who was turning the ship perfectly. I eventually won the battle but this rallied the rooks to recapture the 2nd base. They quickly got the town prepped forcing me to run an m3 and defend with 17's which is extremely difficult. I managed to resup the town just before troops were dropped to a blue flag. Rooks then proceeded to shutdown the base forcing me to fly from another base. I got impaitient and bailed to try and gun down the troops hiding near flag. Of course, 2 m3's rolled up on the flag and there just arent enough bullets in a 45  :rofl :aok

A total of 5-7 players between both sides over 2 hrs was jammed pack full of action, surprise, and suspense.  Great fun and well played on both sides. You dont need swelling numbers to get the most out of AH3. Just a desire to compete and willingness to do all the right things.  :salute

Im glad you had fun, but what if thats not the type of fun your looking for?

While I dont mind working with other to take or defend bases many plays cant be bothered. They want to fight A2A PERIOD! I prefer to do this as well and well, that type of play is slowly disappearing.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 07:04:16 PM »
Au contraire. . .  .mERV, MoGas and a few others not only did it once, they did it twice last night. . . . .lol
<S> to them.

i know i was there, you guys did pretty good.    :salute:salute

semp

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 07:07:55 PM »
<S> to them.
just myself and mogas on those takes. I think Taz showed up to defend 84 best he could.  :cheers:
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 07:54:31 PM »
When this game flourished, it wasn't guys hiding in bushes,and using 3 computers to bomb a pixel town building.  It was people fighting.

I have crayons if we need a picture drawing.

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 08:21:32 PM »
When this game flourished, it wasn't guys hiding in bushes,and using 3 computers to bomb a pixel town building.  It was people fighting.

:rofl

It was a 2am fight get outta here with all that negativity  :neener:

We sure enjoyed it. That late of hour there are two kinds of people. Those who look for fights and find none...

And those who create the fight win or lose. Grumpy old men just go to bed when they don't get their way  :x

And get it right it was just 2 computers  :neener:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 08:24:39 PM by mERv »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 08:23:25 PM »

back then the airplanes were not made of pixels? oh yeah you are right, they were made of blocks.

semp

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 08:38:07 PM »
It was a 2am fight get outta here with all that negativity

Agreed.  Good to have players from all skill sets.

- oldman

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 02:08:44 AM »
On another note. . .

What I do in this game is at times spectacular. Anybody could do it but im the only one who does. You build this sandbox the way you want :salute

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 05:54:52 AM »

Was thinking the same thing...

Find it odd many if not most post these days are about ground pounding and base capturing and not what the sim is titled for... a2a fighter engagement

Guess its hard to use multiple computers and fighters

Does it help if each computer login is for a different chess piece?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 08:30:03 AM »
Still working on my first cup of Joe this morning, but if I'm reading these recent posts correctly, I think I'm more or less in mERv's camp on this one. 

Despite the game's title, base capture has been with the sim practically since the beginning, and was part of Warbirds since before that.   I see it as a key component to game play - without it, the game would just be a bunch of fighter sweeps and vulching each other's bases.   

Base capture gives reason behind the game having so many different aircraft types, bombers and ground attackers, transports and even GVs.   I'm mostly an air-to-air combat guy, but I know I definitely get a feeling of accomplishment when I put that aside to cooperate with a bunch of other players to capture a base-- whether I'm ground-pounding, hunting M3s, bringing troops or supplies, or providing air cover.   

What was the old saying --  "Fighter pilots make movies, but bomber pilots make history"?   

While its nice to land a bunch of kills as a fighter pilot and see my name in lights in the text buffer (a rare occurence that is), it's the bombers and base capture guys who drive the game state forward - driving the map to its end state and ultimately a terrain change.  In a game sense, these are the guys making history. 

So <S> to players of all types, who make this game the constant churn of action that it is-- this cuppa Joe's for you.

Excepting of course, the 30K buff pilots, ridiculously gifted 88 gunners, Wirble drivers, GV spawn campers...  :old: :bolt:

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 08:46:40 AM »
Still working on my first cup of Joe this morning, but if I'm reading these recent posts correctly, I think I'm more or less in mERv's camp on this one. 

Despite the game's title, base capture has been with the sim practically since the beginning, and was part of Warbirds since before that.   I see it as a key component to game play - without it, the game would just be a bunch of fighter sweeps and vulching each other's bases.   

Base capture gives reason behind the game having so many different aircraft types, bombers and ground attackers, transports and even GVs.   I'm mostly an air-to-air combat guy, but I know I definitely get a feeling of accomplishment when I put that aside to cooperate with a bunch of other players to capture a base-- whether I'm ground-pounding, hunting M3s, bringing troops or supplies, or providing air cover.   

What was the old saying --  "Fighter pilots make movies, but bomber pilots make history"?   

While its nice to land a bunch of kills as a fighter pilot and see my name in lights in the text buffer (a rare occurence that is), it's the bombers and base capture guys who drive the game state forward - driving the map to its end state and ultimately a terrain change.  In a game sense, these are the guys making history. 

So <S> to players of all types, who make this game the constant churn of action that it is-- this cuppa Joe's for you.

Excepting of course, the 30K buff pilots, ridiculously gifted 88 gunners, Wirble drivers, GV spawn campers...  :old: :bolt:

+1 What he said.

Base takes, rolling the map, THAT gives the game purpose. Other wise the game would just be fighting to fight, and that gets old real fast.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 01:47:47 PM »
Was thinking the same thing...

Find it odd many if not most post these days are about ground pounding and base capturing and not what the sim is titled for... a2a fighter engagement

Guess its hard to use multiple computers and fighters

Does it help if each computer login is for a different chess piece?

Eagler
I've never tried to play on different countries at once. To me that would be unfair gameplay.

It is impossible to fly multiple fighters at the same time. My stick is coming in the mail today so I'm really looking forward to jumping into fighters tonight :cheers: it's only been 5 years