Author Topic: HQ Function  (Read 3108 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
HQ Function
« on: September 05, 2021, 11:49:53 PM »
Maybe its time to re-activate the HQ and its impact on country wide radar. It would provide a new target for strat runners, without hamstringing the Radar for a given country excessively.

At 75%, all V base & port dars are disabled for 45 minutes;

At 50%, add all Small bases dars are disabled for 45 minutes;

At 25%, add all Medium base dars are disabled for 45 minutes;

At 0%, all Large base dars are disabled for 45 minutes;

All 4 mile Large bases require a direct attack, with down time to be a function of Strat status, as it is now.
All CV & BB TG require a direct attack, with down time to be a function of the Strat status, as it is now.

The time cycle for each to be run independently, i.e. the 50% timer would count down separately from the 75% timer.

Just a thought.  :devil
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: HQ Function
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 06:26:53 AM »
Or how about just disabling the AWACS/Tailwarning type radar. Local field dars and darbar still work. Could make it an attractive target again without making things complicated or totally crippling the arena.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 12:21:43 PM »
What if knocking out the HQ adds a delay to dar-bar and dot-dar updates?  You will still see dot/dar-bar updating on clipboard, but with a delay for X amount of time.

Additional dot-dar breakdown: If you are in the tower of a field and it's radar is still up, it will not be affected by dot-dar delay since you are right there in tower of that field.  If you are "in flight" though (be it from that field or somewhere else), the delay would be effect.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 01:48:34 PM »
What if knocking out the HQ adds a delay to dar-bar and dot-dar updates?  You will still see dot/dar-bar updating on clipboard, but with a delay for X amount of time.

Additional dot-dar breakdown: If you are in the tower of a field and it's radar is still up, it will not be affected by dot-dar delay since you are right there in tower of that field.  If you are "in flight" though (be it from that field or somewhere else), the delay would be effect.

Add to that the same delay in the base dar circle when it loses its dar...the plane dot dar in that base range is delayed until restored

It can stand to be less precise

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 02:10:04 PM »

Ohh I like that.

Along the same vein, maybe dar is out, but you can hit a key to bring up a enemy activity heat-map overlay on the sectors representing various visual sighting and reporting of limited accuracy.  It would give you a reasonable level of info without AWACs pinpoint accuracy. 

And like your suggestion, there could be a 2 minute delay on updating that heat-map representing the time to gather and collate reports.

$0.02.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 02:12:46 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 11:03:23 PM »
All good ideas.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 12:45:34 AM »
you guys forget how it was years ago, a squad made it a point to have hq down all the time. we lost a lot of players over that, no way to find a fight. all we saw was bases blinking, couldn't tell if it was 1 fighter or 20.

out of that came gv dar and plane dar.  gv dar was because that squad would make a point to drive m3s for 12 to 16 hours just to annoy.

45 minutes in the life of ah with no dar is a long time. more players will quit.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 06:17:06 AM »
you guys forget how it was years ago, a squad made it a point to have hq down all the time. we lost a lot of players over that, no way to find a fight. all we saw was bases blinking, couldn't tell if it was 1 fighter or 20.

out of that came gv dar and plane dar.  gv dar was because that squad would make a point to drive m3s for 12 to 16 hours just to annoy.

45 minutes in the life of ah with no dar is a long time. more players will quit.

True, that.

- oldman

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 06:45:44 AM »
-1 for the HQ change.

I'd vote against anything that makes it harder to find a fight.  It seems to me that there is already enough hide-and-seek in the game.  In fact, I'd like to see the field-based radar downtime made a fixed 15 minutes like the hangars and the Radar Strat affect only the refresh rate as mentioned above.

Your mileage may vary.    :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 08:02:22 AM »
Right now you can tell plane direction from dar

Like I stated it should be less precise

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 08:24:51 AM »

semp

Truth.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 09:02:45 AM »

semp

GV dar did not come from the HQ debacle, which happened back in AH2. GV dar came into play in AH3 not AH2.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 09:44:31 AM »

semp

And you didn't seem to read what I posted or you'd have noticed that I didn't call for a removal of visual indication of fights, but rather a delay being added for HQ being down.

OP was the one that posted a removal of visual indications idea.  That isn't a good idea, especially right now, so I brought up the delay bit instead.   Nothing will come from either idea, but if one were to go through, delayed information is much better than no information. :)
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2021, 10:12:18 AM »
And you didn't seem to read what I posted or you'd have noticed that I didn't call for a removal of visual indication of fights, but rather a delay being added for HQ being down.

OP was the one that posted a removal of visual indications idea.  That isn't a good idea, especially right now, so I brought up the delay bit instead.   Nothing will come from either idea, but if one were to go through, delayed information is much better than no information. :)

Exactly.   :rolleyes:

The only issue I have with you proposal is that it would be nice to have a visual indicator to convey the the player that the display is in that mode.  That they know they are dealing with degraded information rather than normal mode. 

Perhaps the plane icons become circles so you are additionally denied trivial direction of flight indication and that would signal that you are in degraded Dar mode?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2021, 10:26:07 AM »

Exactly.   :rolleyes:

The only issue I have with you proposal is that it would be nice to have a visual indicator to convey the the player that the display is in that mode.  That they know they are dealing with degraded information rather than normal mode. 

Perhaps the plane icons become circles so you are additionally denied trivial direction of flight indication and that would signal that you are in degraded Dar mode?

I only threw out a base alternative, so there are definitely more bits that could be added to improve things to it.  You are correct, the player will need a clear indication of a delay in effect with an HQ down.  But not just with icon's on map, also with large word(s) on clipboard stating this as well.  Something like HQ DESTROYED: DELAYED INFORMATION, or something along those lines.  :aok
HiTech