Author Topic: DCS Apache  (Read 9300 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
DCS Apache
« on: September 06, 2021, 10:30:13 AM »
Hmmmm.  This one might actually tempt me to take a serious dive into the DCS world if it has a cool campaign.
I used to love Microprose Gunship back in the day.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 10:32:23 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: DCS Apache
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 11:54:53 AM »
 :eek:

Oh dear...  That looks like something I need.  I had one called "Comanche" in the olden times that I loved and wanted more like it.

I'm not fond of the $100+ price tag of the good stuff for DCS but that might actually get me to do it.  Especially with VR.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 04:17:31 PM »
:eek:

Oh dear...  That looks like something I need.  I had one called "Comanche" in the olden times that I loved and wanted more like it.

I'm not fond of the $100+ price tag of the good stuff for DCS but that might actually get me to do it.  Especially with VR.

Wiley.

FYI Commanche supported VR.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 01:49:37 PM »
FYI Commanche supported VR.

Had to go looking as I would've been shocked if the game I played supported VR.  The one I played was Comanche Maximum Overkill 1992.  Novalogic as well.

I've already warned Mrs. Wiley of the impending purchase.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 03:32:15 PM »
Had to go looking as I would've been shocked if the game I played supported VR.  The one I played was Comanche Maximum Overkill 1992.  Novalogic as well.

I've already warned Mrs. Wiley of the impending purchase.

Wiley.

The version that supported VR was Commanche 3. There was a tank game from Novalogic that supported VR as well, Armored Fist. They supported the VFX-1 which pales against modern VR headsets (a pair of 263 × 230 LCD displays capable of 256 colors). At the time Looking Glass games supported VR - Flight Unlimited 1 and 2, System Shock 1 and 2, and Terra Nova (Starship Troopers suit type combat).

Commanche 3 apparently was 97. I have a vague recollection the earlier version you played also supported earlier VR headsets. The only issue I remember was that it didn't have a 3D cockpit, so when you played in VR it was a full screen view - no maps or radar.

The VFX-1 was my first VR headset (~1995), then an emagin Z800 (~2005) - I got the emagin running AH2 around 2008 (I used a razor hydra strapped to it to get full 6DoF tracking with a trackIR emulation utility).

Then a Vuzix 1200VR (~2011),  then the Oculus DK1/DK2/CV1/Dell Visor/Quest.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 04:56:35 PM »
But can it compete with the classic???

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 07:11:53 PM »
Looks awesome, but I'm waiting for the A-6, A-7, and F-8 - in no particular order.  :devil
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 12:34:15 PM »

[Edit] Some of those external model shots are not from the current mod.  That's stupid.  I guess just B-reel.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 12:45:08 PM by CptTrips »

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 04:33:12 PM »
come play ARMA 3

Apaches for days

and the planes Nefarious listed.......in that order!
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 11:34:01 AM »
Hmmm.  Unfortunately I am left-eye dominant.  Guess I'll be closing one eye often in VR.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 01:10:46 PM »
Taka-taka-taka-taka-taka....

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 02:49:02 PM »
errr Mossie is out sod the chopper!   

Raided Amiens prison at dusk.   Cockpit lit up like Blackpool illuminations.   Multi crew Navigator can also control functions in the cockpit. 

Just speechless half the time when cruising around in it.   Bozon knows.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 09:25:23 AM »
errr Mossie is out sod the chopper!   

Raided Amiens prison at dusk.   Cockpit lit up like Blackpool illuminations.   Multi crew Navigator can also control functions in the cockpit. 

Just speechless half the time when cruising around in it.   Bozon knows.

Is there any sort of dynamic campaign?  Or are you just playing a canned mission?  I don't need a cheesy story-line, but I used to love the old career/squadron/dynamic mission model the best of the old fightsims had.  Like Red Baron, Falcon 3.0, etc.

Mossie looks like fun. :aok

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 10:51:40 AM »

Is there any sort of dynamic campaign?  Or are you just playing a canned mission?  I don't need a cheesy story-line, but I used to love the old career/squadron/dynamic mission model the best of the old fightsims had.  Like Red Baron, Falcon 3.0, etc.

Mossie looks like fun. :aok

I haven't seen one of those in forever either, the most modern plane I can think of that did something similar was maybe Rise of Flight a few years ago?  It was one of the ones that came out about the same time as RoF...  For a single player game, I loved how Red Baron did it.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 02:42:24 PM »
If you pre-order the Apache you get 8500 miles on Eagle Dynamics site
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys