Author Topic: 9/11 +7300  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
9/11 +7300
« on: September 10, 2021, 11:03:38 PM »
I wonder of some of our AH pilots were too young to remember.  Would be good to get their input.

Someone get with Traveler, if possible.

While I have nothing to compare with what he, and others went through, it is still a tough day.

- oldman

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: 9/11 +7300
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 07:08:20 AM »
 :salute

Too the innocent lost that day

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline LNG15

• Nickel Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 09:15:32 AM »
I wonder of some of our AH pilots were too young to remember.  Would be good to get their input.

Someone get with Traveler, if possible.

While I have nothing to compare with what he, and others went through, it is still a tough day.

- oldman

I was 5 when it happened. I by accident drunk my first ever cup of white castle coffee from my late uncle. But I do remember that scene. I never forgot that infamous day.
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 09:36:38 AM »
I had taken the day off from work with no expectations other than spending the day flying in AH. I dont remember who called it out on the radio, but I flipped on my TV and watched the horror unfold. A sad day indeed.  :salute

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 09:49:24 AM »
I was home shaving when I heard the news on the local radio station. Spent the day watching the TV hoping that they got everyone out.

I had been retired from the Army Reserves a bit over a year that day. I called MILPERCEN the next day and asked if I could come back into service, anywhere, doing anything under either of my MOS's (MP and Armor). All I got was laughter and was told if I had been an E-5 through E-7 they could use me, but they had more than enough O-5's running around already then they hung up. Hated being left on the sidelines.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 10:45:39 AM »
I remember a day just like today 20 years ago.  A cool crisp September day,  I had enjoyed the morning walk to the ferry dock in Highlands NJ, my home for almost 30 years at that time.  The ferry was fast, superior in every way to the Jersey Coast Seashore Train into Penn Station, just a 35 minute ride to the ferry dock at Water Street, a quick walk up Fulton Street to Gold Street.  My company had me on contract with the Mayor’s Office City of New York, the City of New York had government offices at many different locations around lower Manhattan, I was using one on Gold Street to make some last minute changes to a presentation I was giving at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in their conference room located on the 72nd floor Tower One, World Trade Center at 9:00AM.  I was in my Gold Street office by 7:15 AM and completed my changes and ran through the presentation and headed over to the North Tower at 8:15 AM, I stopped by my Companies offices located on the 54 floor for a free cup of coffee, some office watermelon chat and to let them know I was headed up to the aviation conference, I exited my office on the 54 floor, facing west out the windows the North Tower, I stood there enjoying the view, I could see Kennedy and follow the traffic flow for both arrivals and departures, it was spectacular view, not unlike out the front window of a commercial aircraft, In all my years as a commercial pilot that view of what so few actually get to see is what keep me excited by aviation for so long.  I realized that I have to get a move on to get to my meeting and get set up and was reluctantly moving toward the elevator, still looking out the window, something caught my eye and I scanned and identified it, an aircraft heading towards the Tower, I’m thinking what controller vectored this guy over the City, I watched and realized that he was low, very low, as he closed the distance I realized it was a commercial  carrier and I began to wonder if he would clear the Tower.  The building rocked, all that stuff they stick up into the false ceiling in office building came down, along with the false ceiling, I realized that the plane had hit the north tower.  I ran back inside of my office and told everyone, what had happened and to exit the building, to take the stairs to the street.  .  We got out onto the street. There were dead and injured on the street.   I walked down Fulton to the corner of Fulton and Gold there was a Hospital Annex on the street corner, I told them they were going to need a lot of help and I could help, I was a medic in Viet Nam and an NJ EMT.  I spent the next 24 hours, clearing airways,  washing out eyes, treating minor cuts.  Ferry service to Highlands, NJ never stopped running, carrying people out of Lower Manhattan to buses to get them to their final destination,  EMS and supplies in.  I took the next ferry to Highlands it was 10 AM September 12, my wife met me at the dock, she was crying, because the ferry parking lot was still full with cars still parked from the day before because the owners hadn’t gotten out of the building in time and we knew many of them as friends.       
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 03:08:24 PM »
I remember a day just like today 20 years ago...     

Thanks for sharing that Traveler.

I hope that reading what you wrote makes the others refrain from posting their "Here's where I was when I heard/saw what happened on TV" stories that people seem to be hopelessly compelled to write about. It's all useless noise compared to the stories from folks like you who were directly affected by the horrific events of that day. Stories like yours are what need to be told and listened to.

To the survivors, the helpers, and the fallen

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 04:17:26 PM »
Heck of a story Traveler.   :salute

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 04:35:00 PM »
I remember a day just like today 20 years ago.  A cool crisp September day,  I had enjoyed the morning walk to the ferry dock in Highlands NJ, my home for almost 30 years at that time.  The ferry was fast, superior in every way to the Jersey Coast Seashore Train into Penn Station, just a 35 minute ride to the ferry dock at Water Street, a quick walk up Fulton Street to Gold Street.  My company had me on contract with the Mayor’s Office City of New York, the City of New York had government offices at many different locations around lower Manhattan, I was using one on Gold Street to make some last minute changes to a presentation I was giving at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in their conference room located on the 72nd floor Tower One, World Trade Center at 9:00AM.  I was in my Gold Street office by 7:15 AM and completed my changes and ran through the presentation and headed over to the North Tower at 8:15 AM, I stopped by my Companies offices located on the 54 floor for a free cup of coffee, some office watermelon chat and to let them know I was headed up to the aviation conference, I exited my office on the 54 floor, facing west out the windows the North Tower, I stood there enjoying the view, I could see Kennedy and follow the traffic flow for both arrivals and departures, it was spectacular view, not unlike out the front window of a commercial aircraft, In all my years as a commercial pilot that view of what so few actually get to see is what keep me excited by aviation for so long.  I realized that I have to get a move on to get to my meeting and get set up and was reluctantly moving toward the elevator, still looking out the window, something caught my eye and I scanned and identified it, an aircraft heading towards the Tower, I’m thinking what controller vectored this guy over the City, I watched and realized that he was low, very low, as he closed the distance I realized it was a commercial  carrier and I began to wonder if he would clear the Tower.  The building rocked, all that stuff they stick up into the false ceiling in office building came down, along with the false ceiling, I realized that the plane had hit the north tower.  I ran back inside of my office and told everyone, what had happened and to exit the building, to take the stairs to the street.  .  We got out onto the street. There were dead and injured on the street.   I walked down Fulton to the corner of Fulton and Gold there was a Hospital Annex on the street corner, I told them they were going to need a lot of help and I could help, I was a medic in Viet Nam and an NJ EMT.  I spent the next 24 hours, clearing airways,  washing out eyes, treating minor cuts.  Ferry service to Highlands, NJ never stopped running, carrying people out of Lower Manhattan to buses to get them to their final destination,  EMS and supplies in.  I took the next ferry to Highlands it was 10 AM September 12, my wife met me at the dock, she was crying, because the ferry parking lot was still full with cars still parked from the day before because the owners hadn’t gotten out of the building in time and we knew many of them as friends.       
Not going to take up space about where I was but traveler are you still flying in the New York area. I want up today and it was identical conditions to 20 years ago
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 05:05:22 PM by Wolfala »

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 09:34:38 AM »
Not going to take up space about where I was but traveler are you still flying in the New York area. I want up today and it was identical conditions to 20 years ago

I still love to fly, I get up once and a while, Miller Airpark is just 5minutes away.  Lakewood a little further.  NJ Aeroclub pick-nick is just today, might stop by.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2021, 02:16:28 AM »
Thanks for sharing that Traveler.

I hope that reading what you wrote makes the others refrain from posting their "Here's where I was when I heard/saw what happened on TV" stories that people seem to be hopelessly compelled to write about. It's all useless noise compared to the stories from folks like you who were directly affected by the horrific events of that day. Stories like yours are what need to be told and listened to.

To the survivors, the helpers, and the fallen

Well Devil I was not like Travler where he was close to the scenes but I was sitting in my chair at the firehouse where my Medic unit was stationed. Desk watch screamed over the Intercom Sayin The Towers are under attack since the first plane the repsonce team I was on was activated so ya I know where the was that day and lost a buddy of mine who’s name I am keeping unknown between that day and my health now sucks and will always suck Least I taught me kids the history of 911 since we know these schools today won’t
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-