Author Topic: Dune  (Read 3335 times)

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
Re: Dune
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2021, 06:27:28 AM »
Well..
From what I have heard, Dr Kines/Liett will be played by a black woman..
So how can Liett, be Cheney's father???

I knew, when I heard they were making another one..
They'd mess it up!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 06:37:40 AM by OldNitro »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2021, 11:25:26 AM »
Well..
From what I have heard, Dr Kines/Liett will be played by a black woman..
So how can Liett, be Cheney's father???

Chani will now simply be Liet's daughter.
It's not a big deal.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2021, 01:50:04 PM »
I read Dune in the early '70s and it blew my mind... the first attempt
to make it into a movie (DeLaurentis I beileve) was lacking in that it DID not accurately
depict the feint within feint within feint that I enjoyed in the book
I really think, given the restraints of a budget, NO movie will ever live up
to the majesty of the book  :aok

Well I saw it the other day and "Epic" is certainly a way to describe it. I was impressed with how they handled it compared to the book. A couple things were different, but nothing game changing to me. The epic landscapes and the illusion of grandeur and scale came across really well. A couple of the "physic's" type things in the CGI bothered me a bit, but not enough to ruin the movie.

Over all Im looking forward to watching it again. The disappointing part is the second movie hasn't been OKed yet so it hasn't started filming.  :furious

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2021, 05:27:47 PM »
Well I saw it the other day and "Epic" is certainly a way to describe it. I was impressed with how they handled it compared to the book. A couple things were different, but nothing game changing to me. The epic landscapes and the illusion of grandeur and scale came across really well. A couple of the "physic's" type things in the CGI bothered me a bit, but not enough to ruin the movie.

Over all Im looking forward to watching it again. The disappointing part is the second movie hasn't been OKed yet so it hasn't started filming.  :furious

I'm disappointed that the movie split the book into 2 films (from what I understand)... I doubt I will live long enough to see the end film...
but oh well...  its not like I will care  :D
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2021, 08:34:05 PM »
Chani will now simply be Liet's daughter.
It's not a big deal.

It is a big deal, the genders have quite defined and important roles in the Dune universe. Swapping stuff around is just playing to the woke crowd.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2021, 09:53:48 PM »
I'm disappointed that the movie split the book into 2 films (from what I understand)... I doubt I will live long enough to see the end film...
but oh well...  its not like I will care  :D

I just watched it again tonight. I dont think the "Lady Jessica" was played strong enough, we'll see how it plays out down the road. They are talking a 2023 release date for Part 2.

It is a big deal, the genders have quite defined and important roles in the Dune universe. Swapping stuff around is just playing to the woke crowd.

In this case I dont think its a big deal. The roll seems to have been down played a bit from the book so male/female really isnt going to matter.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2021, 10:04:22 PM »

We live in 🤡 🌎 now... what do you expect?

Seems like overall it will be pretty good. So maybe my wife will want to go see it in Imax with me. I know nothing about the book, so will only judge from the movie perspective.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2021, 11:56:55 PM »

Of course, it's a 'modernization', but in the context of the movie it's still not a big deal.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2021, 03:32:05 PM »

Of course, it's a 'modernization', but in the context of the movie it's still not a big deal.

In the context of the books it is. Male and female have quite defined roles and capabilities in the Dune universe. I'd even go as far as saying planetologist role would be below a capable women in the Dune universe. So it shows the screenwriters lack understanding or knowledge of the book, or outright thought it more important to cast a women for wokeness.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2021, 03:56:28 PM »
Have you actually seen the movie?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2021, 05:16:20 PM »
(***Warning contains spoilers....***)

I thought it was a good movie.  Not as great as I was hoping, but that may not have been a reasonable expectation. 

I think Villeneuve did as good a job as possible.  It was a beautifully filmed work.

The fundamental problem is, I don't think this story is possible to capture in a movie.  Not ever a 2.5hr movie.  Not in two 2.5hr movies.

So much had to be truncated to the point of losing vital threads of the story.  The looming build up of paranoia about continued clues of a inside traitor was totally lost.  The stress of wondering who might be the traitor amongst them lost a good deal of the sense of impending doom.  No foreshadowing.  No build up to the betrayal.

The character of Shadout Mapes should have been completely removed given how she was handled.  And she was a vital plot device so the wasting her was painful.  She was a vital step in  forming bond between the Atreides and the Fremen.  She was obviously a Fremen agent sent in to take the measure of the new rulers.  Paul saving her from the hunter-killer created a blood debt and proved their bravery and willingness to risk themselves for others.  In return she was supposed to confirm the existence of the mole.  She was supposed to be going to warn Leto of the impending attack  when she was killed in the hallway.  The way it as handled she had no purpose and her death was just an unfortunate janitor in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I had some trouble with the casting.  I like Jason Momoa, but he just didn't feel right as Duncan to me.  I think someone like Tom Hiddleston would have been better.

I like Josh Brolin, But it felt like a stretch for the character of Gurney.  I think someone like Brendan Gleeson would have been better.

The Jessica actress seemed too young to me and she was a blubbering basket case the whole movie.  Jessica was certainly under high stress, but she should have been trained and discipled enough to keep it together.  In the first part of the story, she was supposed to be the strength and a formidable opponent.  Paul was supposed to be unsure and lacking confidence.  It wasn't until Leto's confirmed death that she should finally fall apart and become a basket case for a while and that change should be striking, giving Paul the opportunity to rise to the moment and take over the burden for his mother.  I just felt they flattened her character arc.  The transition of leadership just didn't feel as striking as it could have been.

It really should have been done as a big budget HBO, Amazon Prime, or Netflix Original Series. 
Season 1 (10 1hr long episodes) for the first half of the book.
Season 2 (10 1hr long episodes) for the second half of the book.
You might could have done the story justice.

But I'll give any movie props that just doesn't settle for another comic book remake.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 05:51:16 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2021, 05:42:51 PM »
In this case I dont think its a big deal. The roll seems to have been down played a bit from the book so male/female really isnt going to matter.

Odd. Kynes has a significant leadership role in the fremen and in the attempted "terraforming" of Dune. He is quite an important character.