Author Topic: Challenge for High Level Tech  (Read 608 times)

Offline DynaE

• Zinc Member
Challenge for High Level Tech
« on: October 29, 2021, 01:49:06 PM »

My thanks to all who looked in on this plea for help.

I have not been able to get in AHIII for a while now,because I did something to my mach on one morning a while back.

This all started because I was getting frustrated while in-game with a squad member,my mic wasn't working quite right. So i thought I would log  and come back in to see if that helped.In the time while I was out of AH, I got a Windows Update, a rather large Monthly kind for Win 7,you all are familiar with those im sure. Yes im still running Win 7 for now in case your wondering I have been budgeting for a upgrade, so i can take the flaming hehe.

I DL'ed the Update ..... it failed, tried again ...same , so I thought  i would tackle that later, and being that I have hot even got down a half a cup-of-joe yet, I sat back in the chair and began thinking about the mic problem and the update failure.

I bet you're cautiously optimistic at that last sentence ,I would be ,if you knew my computer knowledge! Should've just stepped to the edge and jumped. I cant tell you the reason i deleted it ....must have been from the message on the Win Update still foggy ,happened so fast ...but i did ,I deleted Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable x 86) 14.0.24212 replaced that one with the 2017 C++ Redistributable that the update called for.That"s my story and I'm sticking to it.

I thought great ,I'll just re-DL AH and everything will be "Beans and Franks" .SO I deleted and re-installed AH,all"s well up to that point . Trouble is that when I go to run AH the program stops at the AH loading screen. I do recall an error message and I googled it , something about AV timing or something cant remember.

I have all the Microsoft Redistributables 2005,2010,2012,2013,and 2017 minus the 2015 I deleted on my machine . I have an old I7 Quad core intel cpu and everything I run daily  on this mach. runs flawlessly.         *Side note , I used to have other newer games on this computer Tarkov ,E Dangerous etc. but as this thing got older and RL I shelved them  but i still have AH and also Falcon BMS, falcon still runs great,its just AH wont run ,

Did a search and found the 2015 Redistributables x86,64 DL'ed saved in Downloads same with the 2017's . My thinking is delete the 2017"s DL re-install  2015"s and 2017"s and "Bob's your Uncle" , don't know if that's sound thinking. My fear is all garbage in registry and I have no clue even looking on youtube about cleaning items in the registry.

So for now I'm like a deer in the Headlights  :confused: I would like to get back to AH.

Any help would be appreciated ,thank you in advance.

Dyna

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Challenge for High Level Tech
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 10:15:05 PM »
I think that since you connect your PC to the internet your best bet is to take the free update to Win 10 for the security features.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 08:31:38 AM »
First thing I'd try is navigate to the Aces High folder (mine is C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High III) and try to start the game by double clicking the "aceshigh9.exe" file and see if it runs. Default desktop icon I believes tries to start the DX11 version of the game. If this works you can just change the target of the desktop icon to the "aceshigh9.exe" location and be ok.

If not, I'd get the free Windows 10 download and install it. Once that is done I'd pull another AH download and install it over the game that you have now (which should repair any corrupted files you might have had with out messing up any of your settings).

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 09:26:07 AM »
What Fugi said.

Here's the link to the Win10 download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Use the Update Now button. That should keep all your installed programs intact and also allow you to roll back to Win7 for ten days in case the upgrade doesn't work as expected. And I hope you already have a 64 bit version of Windows. Most likely you do but... Anyhow, the upgrade will use the same bit depth as the current one.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline DynaE

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 10:19:33 AM »

Thank you all for responding as quick as you have.

@ FLS, Sir,Thank you for the sound advice.

@ The Fugitive, I did try what you suggested,the loading AH screen loaded, and then little blue swirling circle (buffer?) appeared after a dialog box came on asking if i wanted to finish the download ,i choose yes and then the little blue circle appeared ...I waited for at least 10 min. nothing.so I got out using task manager.That one had me going, Thank you Sir.

@ Bizman, Thank you for the link, I do have Win 7 Pro , so no problem there. I will certainly consider your suggestion, I want to Thank You all again for your quick responses.

Dyna

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 11:04:02 AM »
Am surprised no one  offered or suggested for you to run a good  reputation / reputable  registry cleaner(s)

To help you clean up your registry on your Windows 7 Pro OS... if you are not wanting to upgrade to Windows 10 yet...

Me personally am still using Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit on my main gaming rig...and on 1 other 1....have several still using Windows 7 Ultimate  on and 2 of my computers I use Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB OS version on (well,  1 of my LTSB versions has been updated to the  newer name/ version that took the LTSB version 's place)

But I  have  not  bothered to load Aces High on either Windows 10 OS, since back when the first time I did it...back  in the early days of Windows 10.... 

But to get back to the topic:   you might want to try a good reputable registry cleaner program....

Just a thought

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline DynaE

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 10:58:18 AM »

TC, thanks for looking in on my issue,the support from all of you is real and I cant express that enough, thank you all again.I have been wanting to clean the registry in this machine for sometime brother, I have been told that I must never use a registry cleaner on my ssd drive. I have a small 256gig pcie ssd (OCZ product) from 10 years back that has worked without fail (knock on wood).

I was told that if I used a cleaner in the ssd it would destroy my computer so i haven't even considered it. So TC, there you have it brother, thanks for the help.Its not like that is the only drive either, i have a 1Tb 7200rpm storage drive also. Believe me I wish I knew now what i knew  back then,would have done things differently.Just trying to stretch a few more miles out of this.

Dyna

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 01:42:48 PM »
I've used a registry cleaner (Ccleaner) on all kind of computers with all kind of disks and this is the first time I hear that cleaning the Registry on an SSD would be more dangerous than on a HDD. It wasn't too long ago when I read an article about using registry cleaners with SSD's from AskWoody, written by Fred Langa whom I've learned to trust during the last couple of decades.

Are you sure you're not thinking about defragging? That's not recommended on SSD's as it does a LOT of reading and writing which will eventually wear the SSD. Same goes for erasing unused sectors of an SSD.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 03:55:39 AM »
I Agree with Bizman

have used CCleaner and other software similar with not 1 issue or problem on SSDs and HDDs....

Best of luck

TC

Add: correct,  shouldn't defrag  a SSD...like Bizman posted  above
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 10:46:43 AM »
Talking about CCleaner, it strongly warns about excessive wear if you try to wipe empty space on an SSD but it says nothing if you clean the Registry. That makes me believe they know what's safe for the hardware.

Kotisivuni

Offline DynaE

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 12:32:04 PM »

I will admit that over the years of novice computer use.... and a warning not to use a Cleaner,  from the person who did most of the work on my machine,I was following what was relayed to me at that time. I respected his knowledge,and this person was a member of this community.

Due to my incompetence or failure to comprehend ,apparently i misunderstood , or was just as excited as all hell just to get my first gaming computer on and get AH running.I mean it was many years after I was on AH, that I even posted on the bb, I just enjoy AH to this day (when i get prob sorted out) as much as the first day,minus the very steep learning curve. Shout out to Fuseman, God Bless the patience of that man .

I only blame this extreme thick-headed ,no computer skill cartoon pilot,but like the saying goes "you learn from your mistakes", keep moving on.So I'll close this for now thank you for you expertise and time,and will be working on a solution to get back in the S%@t.

Thanks Again, Dyna

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 03:46:53 PM »
Not so much for the drive type, but most places have recommended against the various registry cleaners, such as CCleaner, for the last few years.  Modern OSes do a much better job at keeping the registries optimized, and the memory and drive space available on modern computes make "unused" registry entries much less of an issue than they used to be.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 02:07:43 AM »
Not so much for the drive type, but most places have recommended against the various registry cleaners, such as CCleaner, for the last few years.  Modern OSes do a much better job at keeping the registries optimized, and the memory and drive space available on modern computes make "unused" registry entries much less of an issue than they used to be.
That's what we've been told. Yet a few years ago Fred Langa did a test for WindowsSecrets (now merged to AskWoody) newsletter to see if that's true. He noted the size of the Registry, then installed, measured the Registry and uninstalled some fully legit programs and found out that the size of the Registry was much larger after the uninstall than it originally had been. CCleaner and a couple other registry cleaners he tested restored the original size.

That said I still don't recommend running a registry cleaner on a weekly basis. In my book it's a tool to fix noticeable issues.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 02:09:22 AM by Bizman »

Kotisivuni